• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery died overnight

speedlever

Android Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2012
North Carolina
I've had my GS4 since late April. This is the first time I can recall this happening. I left it on with middle 40% remaining and it typically loses about 5% overnight.

The only changes I made (that I can recall) yesterday were:
1) installed Disable increasing ring
2) installed Dialer 1
3) enabled lockscreen shortcuts

Are any of these known battery suckers?

Edit: I have both Battery Mix and Gsam battery monitor but was unable to make any sense of what they reported.

Battery mix:
NXrriAX.png

Gsam:
2MpyIZs.png

I've had my GS4 since late April. This is the first time I can recall this happening. I left it on with middle 40% remaining and it typically loses about 5% overnight.

The only changes I made (that I can recall) yesterday was:
1) installed Disable increasing ring
2) installed Dialer 1
3) enabled lockscreen shortcuts

Are any of these known battery suckers?

No.

Once you connected the power cable to it, and booted up, did you check battery information to see which app drained the battery?

Upvote 0
Are either of those good battery monitoring apps? Maps has been eating a chunk of my battery. Don't get me wrong, I can easily get 15 hours out of it. But by the end of the day, it will say that Maps had 1 hour 30 mins (more or less that amount every day) of CPU time usage. That's without ever opening Maps, so I'm guessing it's from something using the GPS. Is there a way to tell more specifically where that is coming from?

Upvote 0
I have had disable increasing ring installed for about a week or so, with no change to battery life. I also enabled lockscreen shortcuts yesterday, and again saw no change to battery life.
If it were me, I'd probably go into Settings>More>Application manager>Running and see if there is anything sinister lurking there.

Upvote 0
Looks like I was editing my post as you were posting your response. Does my edit make any sense to you?

Sorry, I haven't used either of those apps. I use the stock battery monitor - settings/more/battery (it also shows a graph of battery level over time). If I see something that doesn't make sense, then I launch betterbatterystats and check for wakelocks (partial and kernel)

In your 2nd screen print, android system seems to be taking up a lot of battery. Can you tap on that and see if it shows more details about what used up battery?

Upvote 0
apps? Maps has been eating a chunk of my battery. Don't get me wrong, I can easily get 15 hours out of it. But by the end of the day, it will say that Maps had 1 hour 30 mins (more or less that amount every day) of CPU time usage. That's without ever opening Maps, so I'm guessing it's from something using the GPS. Is there a way to tell more specifically where that is coming from?

It is likely GPS use by the location reporting feature of maps or google now (or also from GPS use of other widgets that use GPS - for example, weather widgets)

Just for a test, try to toggle GPS off and leave it that way for a day. Your apps will still be able to get your location using cellphone triangulation. (If you need to use navigation, then toggle GPS on, and once you are done, toggle it off). See if it improves your battery life.

I have been doing this for a few weeks, and don't notice any issues. (I actually set up tasker to auto-enable GPS when I launch navigation, and to disable GPS when I close navigation, so it is seamless for me). No more "Maps" battery drain, and no issues with location related features.

Upvote 0
According to your screenshots, google services took most of your battery.

Google Services consist of multiple activities, related to:
Google services Framework
Google Play Services
Google Account Manager
Google Contacts Sync
Google Bookmarks Sync
Network Location (Maps and location reporting, location history, location sharing, and number of other apps seeking regular location info)

By turning off Location Reporting and Location History, you should see instant battery improvement. Of course, if you run weather widgets, I suggest not to kill the location reporting service entirely (Setting - more - location services), instead, just turn off these settings for individual apps, like maps, g+ (and other Google aps), Facebook, etc.

You may also check Auto Backup under google sync accounts.
It will back up your entire gallery (photos and videos) to a private g+ account.
Uploading videos could easily deplete the battery.

regards

Upvote 0
According to your screenshots, google services took most of your battery.

Google Services consist of multiple activities, related to:
Google services Framework
Google Play Services
Google Account Manager
Google Contacts Sync
Google Bookmarks Sync
Network Location (Maps and location reporting, location history, location sharing, and number of other apps seeking regular location info)

By turning off Location Reporting and Location History, you should see instant battery improvement. Of course, if you run weather widgets, I suggest not to kill the location reporting service entirely (Setting - more - location services), instead, just turn off these settings for individual apps, like maps, g+ (and other Google aps), Facebook, etc.

You may also check Auto Backup under google sync accounts.
It will back up your entire gallery (photos and videos) to a private g+ account.
Uploading videos could easily deplete the battery.

regards

Thanks Seba. I keep location services disabled and selectively enable GPS as needed. This of course defeats my Lookout device locating capability. I do run a couple of weather widgets and have done so for a good while with no negative impact on battery usage (accuweather and weatherbug).

Under my google account, I just now disabled all sync except for calendar, contacts, and gmail. But that wasn't a problem before. So I question that suddenly becoming an issue.

Upvote 0
Thanks Seba. I keep location services disabled and selectively enable GPS as needed. This of course defeats my Lookout device locating capability. I do run a couple of weather widgets and have done so for a good while with no negative impact on battery usage (accuweather and weatherbug).

Under my google account, I just now disabled all sync except for calendar, contacts, and gmail. But that wasn't a problem before. So I question that suddenly becoming an issue.

Lookout may actually work - from their site:
===================
Can you remotely turn on the GPS?
On iPhone, if you have enabled location services for the Lookout app, then Lookout will use GPS to locate your device.

For Lookout for Android, this can depend on your phone. Some versions of the Android operating system don

Upvote 0
Thanks Seba. I keep location services disabled and selectively enable GPS as needed. This of course defeats my Lookout device locating capability.

If you like to see an alternate, check out Cerberus.
I have been using that app for a long time. It only needs google chat to be logged in. And you can record conversation, take video and photos remotely, check location, dump call log, hide the app from drawer and invoke by keypad, dump sms and control the phone via silent SMS comments sent from other device. Or control it via web interface. Brilliant app.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I tried Cerberus briefly and went back to Lookout. I don't do much of the social media and didn't really see any real benefit over Lookout. But my trial was very brief and I could well have missed some important stuff. IAC, of the several I tried, I didn't find any that worked unless I manually enabled GPS.

I may be missing something on Lookout too for that matter. ;)

Back to the original point, I've been off the charger for right at 9 hours and have 80% remaining.

Battery mix reports Task manager using 34.42%
Gsam reports apps using 32.7% with the Kernel using 11.4% and screen using 54.5%.
Battery app reports the screen using 51%, device idle using 15%, Android OS using 11%.

None of that makes much sense to me as they seem to attribute the power usage to different named items.

Upvote 0
Update: I did not experience the battery draining issue last night. The stock battery app says the phone has been up over 21 hours and it currently shows 47% remaining.

Perhaps that was just a fluke or anomaly in the OP.

Here's the battery use chart that generated the OP:
46sy0nx.png

Battery use last night:
UQZMVx5.png

I have no idea why they would be any different.

Upvote 0
It is likely GPS use by the location reporting feature of maps or google now (or also from GPS use of other widgets that use GPS - for example, weather widgets)

Just for a test, try to toggle GPS off and leave it that way for a day. Your apps will still be able to get your location using cellphone triangulation. (If you need to use navigation, then toggle GPS on, and once you are done, toggle it off). See if it improves your battery life.

I have been doing this for a few weeks, and don't notice any issues. (I actually set up tasker to auto-enable GPS when I launch navigation, and to disable GPS when I close navigation, so it is seamless for me). No more "Maps" battery drain, and no issues with location related features.

I tried turning off GPS from the main toggle, and that didn't work. But then I looked at "location reporting" in Google Maps. I never realized that that was for Latitude. I already had my settings where I didn't participate in Latitude, so I thought that meant reporting my location to apps or something. Anyway, I changed a few things there, and now Maps doesn't appear in my battery usage unless I use it! Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones