• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery dies overnight - Screen likely waking up on it's own (thoughts?)

cwepruk

May 25, 2010
So most of the time, with light use, my phone lasts me all day with 70% left or so. I usually wake up and it's at 55% and enough to last me through the day again.

But lately, I've been waking up and it has died. I'm guessing the screen wakes up out of the blue and doesn't shut off until the battery dies. Any solution for this?

Checking what uses the battery does not work since it dies overnight and resets the minute it plugs in. In normal use, wifi and display always lead battery use though.

Nothing suspicious is ever running in running services. I always get 48 hours with light use, but some night it will go from 70% to zero overnight - so I suspect something causes the display to turn on and it likely stays on until the battery dies.

Upvote 0
Mine does this too - even when charging. Starting to get really fed up with it. Was willing to give this phone another chance after hearing news of the 2.3 release in a couple of months, but am rapidly losing patience with it. The phone and battery have both been replaced but it still does it. Do you turn off Wifi each night?

Upvote 0
Mine does this too - even when charging. Starting to get really fed up with it. Was willing to give this phone another chance after hearing news of the 2.3 release in a couple of months, but am rapidly losing patience with it. The phone and battery have both been replaced but it still does it. Do you turn off Wifi each night?

I leave Wifi on and on most nights, it might drain 10-15% from that. When the screen wakes up (suspected), it drains 60%.

The phone is great other than this issue and the very rare random reboot.

Upvote 0
I've had that happen the odd time. Or If I'm charging and notice I'm at 100% (wake up during the night) and unplug, a few hours later I'm down to 75%.

I'm pretty sure the screen isn't coming on, so I've been trying to monitor my phone.

I did notice that sometimes the phone is on Edge instead of 3G/HSPA.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Edge suck up more battery?

I *think* that may be the cause of my problem.
I wonder if there's a glitch in the code that may of caused this during my install of various stuff [like the Arc desktop files].

Maybe I'll give it a repair.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones