• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery discussions, maintaining battery life

I think the battery in the EVO LTE is going to work well for me. Yesterday I fooled with it off and on almost all day, installed apps, played games, setup email accounts and changed other settings and after using it 10x more than I would in a normal day I was only around 50%.

I am not a big movie/tv streaming person and I can charge at home and work so I will be fine.

Upvote 0
I'm curious to see if this is going to be that much better than the 3D overall, noting that the LTE and 3D have the same size battery (I think... 1800mAh, right?). With ICS, with the stock battery, and all the same apps installed as with gingerbread, I'm getting almost exactly the same time off charge as you guys so far. I'm playing music off sd pretty much the whole day, make lots of text messages,and browse a good bit.

Keep the experiences coming!

Upvote 0
I'm curious to see if this is going to be that much better than the 3D overall, noting that the LTE and 3D have the same size battery (I think... 1800mAh, right?). With ICS, with the stock battery, and all the same apps installed as with gingerbread, I'm getting almost exactly the same time off charge as you guys so far. I'm playing music off sd pretty much the whole day, make lots of text messages,and browse a good bit.

Keep the experiences coming!

EL TEvo has 2000mAh

Upvote 0
I always thought wifi drained the battery more.... At least that's what what it seemed on the OG and 3D.. I'm scared to leave the wifi radio on when I leave the house.... Lol.

100%... wifi is better for battery.
OG evo at home with wifi = 30 hours of standby with little use.
OG evo with wifi off and 3G on = 12 hours of stand by with little use.

Upvote 0
I always thought wifi drained the battery more.... At least that's what what it seemed on the OG and 3D.. I'm scared to leave the wifi radio on when I leave the house.... Lol.

On the original EVO 4G, keeping WiFi enabled when there is a WiFi signal and connection greatly improved battery life, especially if you have Exchange Active Sync set for push email notifications. So far, I'm getting even better results with my LTEvo using the same setup. I would only turn off WiFi if you are not in range of a Hot Spot with connection privileges. Another thing I would check for that will increase battery life on the LTEvo is to go to Settings> Mobile network> Network mode and change the Preferred network mode from "LTE/CDMA" to "CDMA only" until you get LTE turned on in your area. This should have been done during your phone's initial setup, but it may have been missed.

Upvote 0
On the original EVO 4G, keeping WiFi enabled when there is a WiFi signal and connection greatly improved battery life, especially if you have Exchange Active Sync set for push email notifications. So far, I'm getting even better results with my LTEvo using the same setup. I would only turn off WiFi if you are not in range of a Hot Spot with connection privileges. Another thing I would check for that will increase battery life on the LTEvo is to go to Settings> Mobile network> Network mode and change the Preferred network mode from "LTE/CDMA" to "CDMA only" until you get LTE turned on in your area. This should have been done during your phone's initial setup, but it may have been missed.

yes.. i think turning off LTE for now .. would save battery.
but.. i am reading a lot of results about how turning off LTE.. reduces the speed on 3G data!!.. as much as 50% less!!!!!

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
My first day of usage used a lot more battery, but a lot of that must have been because of all the app installations and setting configurations. Now that most of that is out of the way, here's my second day of usage:

I had my phone on for just under 30 hours. Used about 45-60 minutes of the phone, across seven calls. Minimal texts (sent/received 5-10). Used the camera for 15 minutes. Used the browser for 15 minutes. Set up Bluetooth pairing with my car and listened to one song. I left wifi turned on at all times (I have a wifi connection at home and at work). Maybe I did a couple other random things, but the main things are listed above. Before putting the phone back into standby, I always found myself going to the recent apps button, and clearing that out. I'm not sure if that's just me being superstitious or if that plays a part in keeping the battery usage down. Someone's knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.

And I still had 33% to to go. I had to get it charged for today, so I couldn't let this test go longer.

Upvote 0
Juice Defender is a good idea but I found it messed with too many processes that require data connections. All of the turning on and off of radios really messed with a lot of apps, which caused problems in other ways. I don't think I'll be using it again.

Examples? I used it on the OG and it didn't seem to mess anything up. I too would prefer to not have to use it, but if it help, then sure. Just wondering if it counters anything ICS and Sense incorporated to save batt life. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Upvote 0
just a thought but did i not read SOMEWHERE that the LTE radio was technically a 3g/LTE radio and then there was another 3g radio just for 3g

so maybe turning LTE off turns one of the 3g radios off as well, reducing overall connection to 3g by %50

I don't think so. I think the two radios are interconnected though.

The LTE/3G speed improvement doesn't seem to be entirely consistent. There must other processes affecting that, or contributing to it.

If you have time, try it both ways to test battery life.

Here's what I intend to do to test mine when I get one -

• Call some line and let the phone sit like that until battery dies
  • Put it into GPS tracking mode and see how long until dead
  • Web surf until dead (maybe running the Vellamo browser benchmark repeatedly)
  • Stream movies until dead

And repeat for any combinations of 3G/LTE/wifi that seems cromulent at the time.

Upvote 0
Examples? I used it on the OG and it didn't seem to mess anything up. I too would prefer to not have to use it, but if it help, then sure. Just wondering if it counters anything ICS and Sense incorporated to save batt life. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Well, I don't know how aggressive you have your settings on Juice Defender, but for me, turning off the radios while sleeping and turning them back on when awake made the phone act bizarrely. But you know, if it works well for you, then don't worry about my problems with it. :)

Upvote 0
I don't think so. I think the two radios are interconnected though.

The LTE/3G speed improvement doesn't seem to be entirely consistent. There must other processes affecting that, or contributing to it.

If you have time, try it both ways to test battery life.

Here's what I intend to do to test mine when I get one -

• Call some line and let the phone sit like that until battery dies
  • Put it into GPS tracking mode and see how long until dead
  • Web surf until dead (maybe running the Vellamo browser benchmark repeatedly)
  • Stream movies until dead

And repeat for any combinations of 3G/LTE/wifi that seems cromulent at the time.

wow..that might take several days of testing.. which means several days that you can not use the LTevo as your communication device.

glad you are willing to do it.. i am curious to know.. but dont have the patience to do all that.

Upvote 0
wow..that might take several days of testing.. which means several days that you can not use the LTevo as your communication device.

glad you are willing to do it.. i am curious to know.. but dont have the patience to do all that.

I was good with my Evo, and have been ecstatic with my 3vo.

This community has given me so much, and I have run my mouth about battery life, so I figured it's high time that I pony up.

I have spent the better part of the late afternoon decompiling Vellamo so I run it in a loop, test bed style, for an objective and fair assessment.

My test matrix will have the same weaknesses as others - limited scope.

But on the plus side, I hope to give back two things - comparison against blogosphere standards, and someone that you can all question for validity, fairness, and completeness.

I want to know, I think others do too, and I think that it's the least I can do.

I only wish that I could do more, and with no-holds-barred as the rules between us, I hope that with honest criticism, I can do my best to answer the mail.

I am openly skeptical about the fixed battery along with the whiz-bang promises, and I think that we all want to know the same thing - what are the fancy tech claims and what is reality??

Upvote 0
yes.. i think turning off LTE for now .. would save battery.
but.. i am reading a lot of results about how turning off LTE.. reduces the speed on 3G data!!.. as much as 50% less!!!!!

Wait a sec.... I turned the LTE off figuring there was no point in having it on if the network is not in place and switched to cdma only.. Was that a mistake? For some reason in my area (south jersey) My 3g has been horrible.. Phone calls and txt are fine picture messages go right through but when I attempt to connect to the Internet.. Oh boy.. I'm hoping it's just due to heavy traffic bc of memorial Day weekend... ALOT of people come to the town I live in.. Thousands of thousands actually... Should I turn LTE back on??

Luckily my wifi at home is supa fast but 3g for me is horrible at work.. In the car... Just Plain everywhere starting this morning...

Upvote 0
So i have some battery reports coming from my evo.
Friday 25th: removed from charger at 6am got home at 1:30 pm had around 80% left with moderate use
Saturday 25th: the power menu in settings said it had been used for 15 hours with slightly heavy use age in the morning and lighter use in the afternoon evening. 40% battery left

Most of what was draining the battery was the screen. It said about 60% was screen

Upvote 0
I was good with my Evo, and have been ecstatic with my 3vo.

This community has given me so much, and I have run my mouth about battery life, so I figured it's high time that I pony up.

I have spent the better part of the late afternoon decompiling Vellamo so I run it in a loop, test bed style, for an objective and fair assessment.

My test matrix will have the same weaknesses as others - limited scope.

But on the plus side, I hope to give back two things - comparison against blogosphere standards, and someone that you can all question for validity, fairness, and completeness.

I want to know, I think others do too, and I think that it's the least I can do.

I only wish that I could do more, and with no-holds-barred as the rules between us, I hope that with honest criticism, I can do my best to answer the mail.

I am openly skeptical about the fixed battery along with the whiz-bang promises, and I think that we all want to know the same thing - what are the fancy tech claims and what is reality??

And this is why EM is the man!:D:rock::congrats:

Hopefully this takes place before I pull the trigger since I can't put my phone down long enough to perform anything like this. (nor do I have EM's skill set, it would require his help) If I do take the plunge I will try to beat the phone into submission and report my findings, I just can't decide if I want to get the E4L (or what ever we are calling it) or wait for the Note II which may not come out in time for my final premiere rewards upgrade which has to be used by 12/31/12.

Upvote 0
Wait a sec.... I turned the LTE off figuring there was no point in having it on if the network is not in place and switched to cdma only.. Was that a mistake? For some reason in my area (south jersey) My 3g has been horrible.. Phone calls and txt are fine picture messages go right through but when I attempt to connect to the Internet.. Oh boy.. I'm hoping it's just due to heavy traffic bc of memorial Day weekend... ALOT of people come to the town I live in.. Thousands of thousands actually... Should I turn LTE back on??

Luckily my wifi at home is supa fast but 3g for me is horrible at work.. In the car... Just Plain everywhere starting this morning...

why not run a speedtest with LTE on and off.. .and see if it makes a difference.

then use LTE on for a few days.. see if it affects your battery life.

Upvote 0
My experience to date: :)

So far, the battery life on this beast is amazing. I'm running with LTE on as I'm trying to get better 3G speeds.

Today, at 3h 36m 6s on battery @ 86%:
  • Screen - 41%
  • Mediaserver - 19% (Bluetooth headphones while at the gym??)
  • Cell standby - 9%
  • Phone idle - 8%
  • Google Play Music - 7% (Music while at the gym)
  • Android OS - 5%
  • Speed Test 4% (2 Speed tests back to back)
  • ABC News - 3% (I think I read one article)
  • Camera - 2% (No camera use??)
  • Gmail - 2%
I've grown accustomed to using Juicedefender Ultimate on my 3VO w/ Meanrom and my wifes OG, but really see no need for it as of yet.

Yesterday my morning was pretty much the same routine with getting home from the gym witha battery level of ~83%. Had really no use throughout the day except for a few phone calls and gmail checks (for AF updates of course ;)) as I was doing yardwork. Ended the day at 12:30AM with 72% still on the battery.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if there is a battery app that resembles the HTC Evo 3D that would alert you that your battery is down to like, 12% and would put it in a saving mode? I would like to find one like that without having to go into the app to set all this up. I got down to less than 12% and never noticed the battery level so this alert has saved me on several occasions and I always had a charged spare battery with me but since you can't change the batteries in the LTE I would like a good app that will alert me ahead of time.
BTW: LTE has been off the charger since 7am and it is now 6:40pm and battery is @ 71%. I'm not a heavy user but do check/browse/reply to emails, forums and a lot of texting and on the 3D at this time of the day I would be switching out batteries so I would say this phone is better with battery consumption.

Upvote 0
First day I got my phone battery drained quick. I had needed to use navigation and it locked signal right away and took me there without me having to turn on GPS so I am guessing it was on. It must of stayed on with the icon and i didn't have auto sync off or anything set. I do have mine on CDMA only is that bad? But yesterday I got like 12 hours and same with today. What's mostly using my battery is the screen. I did turn auto sync off and I have let my phone drain twice to 14% then it tells me battery low need to charge. Mine alerts me but is there no power saving mode like in the 3D? My EVO sucked and my 3D was a little better but I am happy with this. I got 12 hours and didn't do a whole lot but was pleased. My friend got 15 on hers. I've been getting up in the am and not charging it till it gets low. I am usually always near a plug at home and at work. But I am getting one of those battery packs and I'll be good for when I am out for the night or out of town.

Upvote 0
What kind/brand battery pack do any one here suggest or have used yet? I have a weak signal at work and dont have the ability to charge my phone there. Right now I have the EVO 3D and my battery goes from fully charged at the start of my shift to under 20% by the time my seventh hour of work comes around. And this is all with very minimal usage. So I have an extra battery that I swap out but I would like to get some sort of back up since swapping out will be a thing of the past for me with this new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones