• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery doesn't fully charge

skriver73

Lurker
Nov 5, 2010
Hi,

Just this week the battery in my Legend has started to act weird: When I plug it into the charger for the night, typically at about 20% battery left, it won't charge to more than roughly 85%. The indicator (LED) stays orange/red but doesn't turn green even after 8 hours of charging. I discovered that if I switch off the phone and turn it back on the battery is now showing 100% and the LED is green.
BUT I don't think it really is fully charged because it goes back down to approx. 80% in no time and often I have to charge it during the daytime.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Hi,

Just this week the battery in my Legend has started to act weird: When I plug it into the charger for the night, typically at about 20% battery left, it won't charge to more than roughly 85%. The indicator (LED) stays orange/red but doesn't turn green even after 8 hours of charging. I discovered that if I switch off the phone and turn it back on the battery is now showing 100% and the LED is green.
BUT I don't think it really is fully charged because it goes back down to approx. 80% in no time and often I have to charge it during the daytime.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

thats exactly my problem with my legend....
what do we do?
any help!

Upvote 0
this is because when you charge the battery to full, it will lose the amount of charge it can take so the amount of time at 100% is as small as possible and the phone lets the battery run down before resuming charging.
What you can do is called bump charging whereby you unplug it for a minute, plug it back in, go for a shower/ have breakfast or something, come back and it should pretty much be at 100% although this can make the life of your battery shorter in the long-run

Upvote 0
My son had the same problem. Battery started to fully charge to only 80%, then the phone began randomly shutting down. He asked me for advice.

I decided to take the battery out.......... which proved difficult. the battery had swollen in the casing. Eventually got it out with some tweezers and the battery had swollen a fair bit.

Got a replacement battery and its working a treat. So much so he has now racked up a

Upvote 0
This is not the problem in this case:
If I turn off the phone and rurn it back on WITHOUT entering the PIN it will charge to 100% if plugged in.

I got a replacement battery from HTC Support and it acts exactly the same way.

I am quite sure it's some sort of 2.2 misbehaving....

Anyways, I have come to terms with this as it seems it is only the readout that is screwed - the actual battery capacity seems to be ok.

I understand that, I meant after rebooting when charging does work

Reactions: skriver73
Upvote 0
I have had exactly this problem. Here's my experience and resolution.

My Legend is about 6 months old and worked fine (charging fully for about the first 3 months). I'm not sure if it is linked but I bought one of those stands which charges the phone and keeps the phone upright so that you can use it as a bedside clock. Not sure if having the screen on all night did something to the phone but I think the charging problem may have started around the time that I started using this charger.

Having eliminated any charger / cable issues by using a variety of alternatives I then bought a new battery to see if it was the original battery at fault. No change.

I then did a factor reset. No Change.

I then contacted Vodafone UK customer services who sent me another new battery free of charge. No Change.

I then contacted HTC customer services via one their online chat service. The guy on the other end had never experienced this problem. He thought it might due to one of the Apps causing a problem. I did another factory reset and didn't reload any of the Apps. No Change.

I then contacted Vodafone UK again, they confirmed that the phone was still under warranty and 24hrs later a new phone was delivered to my house and I handed the original phone to the courier to be returned to Vodafone. I was hugely impressed with this as I didn't demand a new phone, they just offered it.

New phone works fine, charges all the way to 100% with the LED indicator going green.

I won't be using that bedside table charger again just to be on the safe side.

Hope the above tale helps.

Upvote 0
My Legend is just started to do this about 2 weeks ago and mine is 15 months old.
I don`t think it is a battery problem as I have a spare battery & it`s doing the same thing.
I do recall I did a recent update of ATK & drained my battery so fast I uninstalled it and also the Legend won`t take any charge from my car charger.
I still haven`t found a solution - heeelllllpppp!

Upvote 0
My Legend is just started to do this about 2 weeks ago and mine is 15 months old.
I don`t think it is a battery problem as I have a spare battery & it`s doing the same thing.
I do recall I did a recent update of ATK & drained my battery so fast I uninstalled it and also the Legend won`t take any charge from my car charger.
I still haven`t found a solution - heeelllllpppp!
I spoke to a nice lady at Vodafone & they are sending me a replacement next week :D

Upvote 0
A replacement arrived yesterday and it`s absolutely mega!
Battery charged up full, used the internet a few times during my lunch break & read a few emails and still got 42% battery left!! Thankyou Vodafone :D
The replacement is running on 2.1, loads of internal memory & running realy fast. I`m very apprehensive in doing the 2.2 update (85 mb) just incase the battery issue returns.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones