• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery drain 2.2 update

Yeah I have 73% battery right now and its 4:10PM. I havent used wifi today and its been good battery! Moderate texting and a bit of internet use, and a 1 hour phone call with the gf. :D With wifi on the other day I was losing about 20% battery an hour even with the screen off.
I'll test tomorrow and post up-this may be the answer. Remember- turn it on for nav and maps. It's odd, even if there is no wifi signal, it locks on to sats great as long as wifi is on. I did not think of this, the blue map triangle with a 4300 meter circle instructs after tapping it to turn on wifi for better accuracy and it is accurate to 2 meters. I need battery way more than nav so I am keeping it off unless I need it (or June 2012 when I get the iPhone and I can leave everything on all day and have a 50% charge at midnight like a normal phone).

Upvote 0
My question is why did everyone have wifi running all the time to begin with? I only turn it on when needed. Heck I only turn EVERYTHING on when needed.

Yes, I never had wiFi on because I felt it was not needed with my 3G connection. Little did I know that WiFi is what enables the GPS (even if there is no WF signal). Now, maps and GPS are nearly instant with WF on which was never the case before. I am keeping WF, GPS, and BT off since I need none of them at work and and rarely need to navigate. If Nav is neened, WF is easy to turn on. Seems to be working with battery still on full after 6 hours. The real test comes when I am in an all day meeting checking emails and texting all day.

Upvote 0
My question is why did everyone have wifi running all the time to begin with? I only turn it on when needed. Heck I only turn EVERYTHING on when needed.

Uhh...because I am in places where there is a WiFi signal a lot? There was never this issue before, so there was no reason for me to actually have to turn it on and off every time I used it. Just because you don't use a feature doesn't mean there aren't thousands of other owners who might use it.

Upvote 0
Uhh...because I am in places where there is a WiFi signal a lot? There was never this issue before, so there was no reason for me to actually have to turn it on and off every time I used it. Just because you don't use a feature doesn't mean there aren't thousands of other owners who might use it.

How is Nav and maps with your phone with WF off? I seem to be the only one who has experienced very poor Nav going to superb Nav by turning on WF- Again, this was a prompt on the phone, not my bright idea. I bring this up because the WF seems to be the culprit eating the battery.

Upvote 0
I am at 34% and just hit yellow at 15 hours- WF, BT, and GPS off all day. Moderate email use, minimal text, no calls. During one 2 hour span today the phone was untouched and battery went from 64% to 54%. If you don't use it, it will last all day. Heavy use and you are lucky to get 10 hours even with everything off.

So mine wasn't bad??? I had mobile data on and auto rotation...no wifi

Upvote 0
So mine wasn't bad??? I had mobile data on and auto rotation...no wifi
I would tend to agree- holding judgement on mine until I am at a meeting with heavy text and email, few calls, no GPS etc. I was in Boston with use just like that and whilst on 2.1 I hit red by 4pm and had to friggin charge the phone in the hotel b4 heading to dinner :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
I accidently kept my Wifi online at home (it was my day off at work) and it ate the battery the first day I had the phone.

Right now its 7:46 PM and I unplugged my phone from the charger at 8:30 AM. Battery at 56% and this is after about an hour of phone calls, 300-400 texts, and downloading about 3 app updates and 2 new apps. And I played Cordy for about 10 mins to show my brother.

Impressed with the battery so far :) I also got a 1544 in Quadrant which is killer.

Upvote 0
I accidently kept my Wifi online at home (it was my day off at work) and it ate the battery the first day I had the phone.

Right now its 7:46 PM and I unplugged my phone from the charger at 8:30 AM. Battery at 56% and this is after about an hour of phone calls, 300-400 texts, and downloading about 3 app updates and 2 new apps. And I played Cordy for about 10 mins to show my brother.

Impressed with the battery so far :) I also got a 1544 in Quadrant which is killer.
300-400 texts? dude, when do you work:eek:- OK I see- it was ur day off. Anyhoo, I am hoping this WiFi idea pans out b/c it is maddening to have to think about my use during the day- that is not freedom especially when my iphone colleagues leave everything on all the time with heavy use and never have battery issues.

Upvote 0

Wow, it was a legitimate question... I didn't know if there was some added benefit from having it on other than the obvious (you can connect to wifi when available). No need to be poopy about it...

Upvote 0
I was on red at midnight with a 17% charge- I would say acceptable given the use which I would say was light to moderate. I really can't say intelligently until I have had a day of heavy use and what it does at 4pm. I have noticed that yellow and red last a lot longer in 2.2. Previously, once you hit yellow, you were pretty well done in 20 min.

Upvote 0
Wow, it was a legitimate question... I didn't know if there was some added benefit from having it on other than the obvious (you can connect to wifi when available). No need to be poopy about it...

Well I apologize. I've just seen it too much when people go online and say "Why in the world would you do that," or "why would you use that because I don't use it." Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Anyways, my battery life has been much better lately. I guess I will just have to leave WiFi off from now on.

Upvote 0
300-400 texts? dude, when do you work:eek:- OK I see- it was ur day off. Anyhoo, I am hoping this WiFi idea pans out b/c it is maddening to have to think about my use during the day- that is not freedom especially when my iphone colleagues leave everything on all the time with heavy use and never have battery issues.

I work at a cell phone store that sells Cricket service, but its a very slow store so I text all day at work when im here too. Seriously, 90% of my job is surfing the internet and texting the girlfriend and a few friends haha.

And yeah, iPhones get ridiculously good battery life but the OS is made a lot different.

Upvote 0
Its 5pm and I have been on yellow for 45min. 10-15 texts, multiple emails 30 or so, and 5 phone calls under 5 min each. Battery sucks- no question in my mind. My associate has given up his pager and uses his iPhone. I could never do that with this phone. People who need to reach me can at least page if my phone is dead- happened twice on 2.1. Here is another kick in the head- try taking a picture with low battery- forget it- the camera will not function if the battery is low.

Upvote 0
OK (for those that care) ;)

Little after 5 PM here. Phone has been on since 5 AM. I have run mixZing for about an hour this morning and maybe 30 minutes later in the morning. I have had maybe a dozen texts throughout the day, a couple of phone calls, I have had bluetooth ON in my car. I have downloaded I think 3 apps. So going on around 12 hours I am at 48%.

Good or bad?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones