1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery Drain due to Android OS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dbvirago, Feb 15, 2011.

1. dbvirago

dbvirago Member
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    Googled this and got a lot of conflicting answers and WAGs so I thought I'd post here.

Several days a week, I'll turn my droidx on mid-morning after an all night charge and notice battery at 40-50%. This after not using it all morning. I check battery use and android os is the culprit at over 90%.

Is there a fix? Is this a version issue. I am on 2.2.1

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Hello dbvirago.

There are a lot of things to check on when fast battery drain happens on an Android device, not the least of which are apps and widgets that sync or update in the background.

It's a good idea to get to know thoroughly what is going on in your device as to background updating and syncing, as well as running services (menu > settings > applications > running services).

Google Navigation causes problems, off and on for many users. It often helps to go into the application manager and clear data and cache and then reboot after using G.N. before charging over night.

Facebook app has been linked to sync loops which drain resources and cause slowdowns and of course resultant battery drain.

3. mdram

mdram Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Engineer
    Maryland
    i bet its actually an app causing something
    ive seen it happen on mine a time or 2, a reboot fixes the drain
    i personally belive its weatherbug

4. chriszzz

chriszzz Lurker
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Bingo ! This is an invaluable piece of advice.

A while back, I was perplexed by high battery drain, sluggish performance and low free RAM on my Samsung Galaxy S, supposedly one of the fastest devices around.

I checked the services, and bingo, a whole of of stuff installed by apps. When I install apps, I pretty much assume that they'll remain out of the way until I launch them. It seems many apps install services that send/receive data or monitor locations, which contribute to high battery drain and poor performance.

I removed all non-essential services and uninstalled the offending apps, and in the process freed up 30MB of memory ( upping my free RAM from 50 to 80MB ), improved battery life, and best of all, the phone is snappy and responsive again.

5. dbvirago

dbvirago Member
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    Yeah, I kill running apps fairly often - usually get ram up above 100. Thing with this is my use and installed apps havent' changed in a while. On a normal day, the most intensive battery use is either screen or phone calls. When it's 93% OS and down 20% after 4 hours, I assumed it was OS related.

I'll do a reboot. Also uninstall weatherbug since I went back to weather.com, but it's not in my running apps.

6. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Constantly killing running apps also drains your battery. Only go after ones that you know for a fact are using up the battery. This is why app killers are bad.

7. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    you should be able to touch the "Android" in spare parts and it will tell you which programs are using this

8. inphoenix

inphoenix Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    in Phoenix. Duh!
    Download "spare parts" and use it. It will help you identify the culprit. Last resort, do a factory reset. That helped me a while ago in similar (not exact same) situation.

9. dbvirago

dbvirago Member
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    Ok, installed spare parts. Touch the android where? Under battery history I have
    Other usage
    Since last unplugged
    running
    screen on

none of which gives much info

10. inphoenix

inphoenix Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    in Phoenix. Duh!
    Change other usage to CPU / partial wake and look under there.