• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery Drain Issues on SHIFTAO5P v1.2x

shaddyyy

Oct 1, 2010
Hey guys I have been getting horrible battery life out of my thunderbolt running SHIFTAO5P V1.2x with imoseyon 3.5.8 kernel. I tried out different kernels too but all result in this battery drain when I am on 3G or 4G. I have 4g turned off when im not in 4g area but my battery drops rapidly and i get on average 4 hours of battery life a day. I have done battery wipes and tried different kernels but nothing helps. Any ideas on what i can do to get these really good battery lives from rooted phone?

What do you have syncing? How do you use your phone, do you play a lot of games, social media, etc? Do you keep GPS on? Do you live in a strong signal area? Have you properly calibrated your battery? Have you given the kernel at least 3 days to settle in?

These are a few of hundreds of questions I can ask you. Each phone is different and will have different results. Just because a few of us have gotten great life on 3.5.8 doesn't mean you will. Have you tried his .11 or .12 yet?

Reactions: shaddyyy
Upvote 0
Need more info on phone use. Something is going on. One thing I have noticed unrelated to Shift: Phandroid app will kill my battery in a few hours sometimes. Seems to get stuck in some state where it is constantly processing, even with all options unchecked. I basically force kill it with every use now. Never know when it will happen. But you seemed to say your phone operates correctly on wifi, correct? And you are on the newest radio(802, i believe), correct?

Upvote 0
Need more info on phone use. Something is going on. One thing I have noticed unrelated to Shift: Phandroid app will kill my battery in a few hours sometimes. Seems to get stuck in some state where it is constantly processing, even with all options unchecked. I basically force kill it with every use now. Never know when it will happen. But you seemed to say your phone operates correctly on wifi, correct? And you are on the newest radio(802, i believe), correct?

You aren't the first person to report this with the phandroid app. I have 2 phandroid apps installed and they don't seem to mess with my battery. I really should uninstall one.

Upvote 0
What do you have syncing? How do you use your phone, do you play a lot of games, social media, etc? Do you keep GPS on? Do you live in a strong signal area? Have you properly calibrated your battery? Have you given the kernel at least 3 days to settle in?

These are a few of hundreds of questions I can ask you. Each phone is different and will have different results. Just because a few of us have gotten great life on 3.5.8 doesn't mean you will. Have you tried his .11 or .12 yet?

I have google, facebook and whatsapp syncing in the background. I keep gps on and i live in a very strong 3G signal area with 66 to 79 dBm. I properlly calibrated the battery and have been running different kernels for at least 4 days to settle in. I've also used his .11 and .12 i am currently using slayhers kernel.

Also, what radio?

4th GB Leak 2.11.605.0 1.48.00.0817 n/

Upvote 0
I was just wondering because adw launcher is still running in the background and I feel That it is causing the ROM to lag and drain unnecessarily. Also when I go to unlock the screen the slider laggs before it unlocks that majority of the time.

Then uninstall it. Or, what I do is create an app.disable folder with Root Explorer. I then remove whatever apps I don't use in system/app and put them in the app.disable folder. That why if I ever want to use them I can paste them back into system/app, but being in the disable folder they aren't taking up memory or running in the background

Upvote 0
Timely exit that's for sure. I'm not surprised. He said a while back he needed some personal time, then was back a day or so later. I guess with the absence of Slayher, DT figured it's a good time for him as well ;)
Couple of more roms coming out tomorrow, the final ones. I just flashed back to the latest CM7 with Tiamat 1.1.2. Fun while it lasted.

Upvote 0
I'll run 2.0 final for a while if it is good. Liquid is still at it, but if the CM7 pipeline goes down... Maybe time to see if my phone is happier with the latest OMFGB than it used to be.

I am also thinking about nonsense, too.

Bionic is out in a few days...I expect a few more disappearances once the TB is no longer the hottest phone on the market.

Upvote 0
Wow i have tried almost everything and still getting horrible battery life on 3g and 4g. 4G i would say is the worst, battery went down to 60% after a little less than 2 hours. And another thing is does anyone know of a gps fix for these aosp roms? My phone always thinks im in different countries and states. So far i've been in Argentina, Russia, Missouri, Utah, and in the UK when clearly im in NY...

Upvote 0
Wow i have tried almost everything and still getting horrible battery life on 3g and 4g. 4G i would say is the worst, battery went down to 60% after a little less than 2 hours. And another thing is does anyone know of a gps fix for these aosp roms? My phone always thinks im in different countries and states. So far i've been in Argentina, Russia, Missouri, Utah, and in the UK when clearly im in NY...

For the battery issue, my guess is something happened during either the d/l or flash and I would suggest doing a full wipe and reflashing the ROM.

For the GPS fix you can see THIS thread or do this..

Make a backup of ROM
Full wipe
Flash Sense GB ROM
Get a lock in Maps
Boot to recovery>full wipe>restore backup
Should have great GPS

Upvote 0
For the battery issue, my guess is something happened during either the d/l or flash and I would suggest doing a full wipe and reflashing the ROM.

For the GPS fix you can see THIS thread or do this..

Make a backup of ROM
Full wipe
Flash Sense GB ROM
Get a lock in Maps
Boot to recovery>full wipe>restore backup
Should have great GPS

So I should do a full wipe from the recovery? I will see if that works. And since we are on the topic of aosp roms did any of you guys find a pure aosp stock gingerbread rom, something like what the nexus s comes with, without the custom launchers.

And ill try the gps fix you mentioned. Thank you very much

Upvote 0
So I should do a full wipe from the recovery? I will see if that works. And since we are on the topic of aosp roms did any of you guys find a pure aosp stock gingerbread rom, something like what the nexus s comes with, without the custom launchers.

And ill try the gps fix you mentioned. Thank you very much

Yes, that's the only thing I can think of. You shouldn't be losing battery that quickly.

The only "pure AOSP" we have is OMGB, and it's not 100% pure. (feel like we're talking about drugs or something, lol)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones