• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery drain mystery caused by native Internet app randomly starting

I have a Galaxy S III that has worked great for 6 months. Suddenly battery started draining like crazy. It would be dead in about 6 hours with no use.

I did some troubleshooting on my own and with the help of Watchdog Lite, I discovered an interesting thing:

What was happening was that the native Internet browser was suddenly launching (on its own) and moving data through the phone. I can

Samsung had trouble with Doubletwist doing that for TMO phones. Complaints in TMO forum when that happened. Seems the SGS4G had the problem.

Since it just started after 6 months, was your phone updated?

If you have a 3, can't you disable the browser and install another? There's plenty of good ones. Everyone here has used most and there should be plenty of good reviews.

Upvote 0
Samsung had trouble with Doubletwist doing that for TMO phones. Complaints in TMO forum when that happened. Seems the SGS4G had the problem.

Since it just started after 6 months, was your phone updated?

If you have a 3, can't you disable the browser and install another? There's plenty of good ones. Everyone here has used most and there should be plenty of good reviews.

First, yes, this issue did come along "about" the same time as the last Android update (I'm now using 4.1.2). I think it's related, but not necessarily the primary cause. I suspect a third party app is actually making the call on the Internet app and streaming the data.

I actually use Chrome and always have. So, I would be HAPPY to completely uninstall the native Internet app -- if I could. But you can't. Which is why I have to manually "force close" it every time it starts up. But it does not stay closed, and therein lies the problem.

Upvote 0
Any new services on your phone since update? Your carrier could have requested custom update or new service from Samsung. Try a Verizon forum and check the qvetching. I use TMO and the minute someone gets throttled there's about 100 posts in a TMO forum complaining. I'd assume Verizon users gripe, too.

I had Chrome on my Nexus 4 and disabled it through settings. Same with the Nexus S which was a Samsung. I disabled browser on Acer A500 wifi tablet and replaced with my choice. The phones are rooted, the tablet not.

You would probably have to root to get rid of it.

Upvote 0
Brent...

Go into your phone settings and tap on Data Usage. Scroll down and see if you see the trouble browser on the list. If so, tap it. At the bottom should be an option to restrict background data.

See if that helps.

I've tried to search for info on this PopupuiReceiver thing, but I can find nothing except others asking about it (and not getting any answers). :(

Upvote 0
Any new services on your phone since update? Your carrier could have requested custom update or new service from Samsung. Try a Verizon forum and check the qvetching. I use TMO and the minute someone gets throttled there's about 100 posts in a TMO forum complaining. I'd assume Verizon users gripe, too.

I had Chrome on my Nexus 4 and disabled it through settings. Same with the Nexus S which was a Samsung. I disabled browser on Acer A500 wifi tablet and replaced with my choice. The phones are rooted, the tablet not.

You would probably have to root to get rid of it.

I've been on the phone with Verizon tech support and they are as stumped as I am. I'm sure there's some relationship between either the latest Android update or a third party app that is calling the Internet app, but no one is sure yet.

I think you may be right that rooting my phone may be my only option, although I'd prefer to find the legit problem. Verizon is still working with me. They've been great actually.

Upvote 0
Brent...

Go into your phone settings and tap on Data Usage. Scroll down and see if you see the trouble browser on the list. If so, tap it. At the bottom should be an option to restrict background data.

See if that helps.

I've tried to search for info on this PopupuiReceiver thing, but I can find nothing except others asking about it (and not getting any answers). :(

The Internet app is not listed as one of the "users" of data. I think it would show up if I was actually launching the Internet BROWSER, but all of this is happening in the background, which is maybe why it doesn't show up on the Data Usage list.

I now don't think this is related to PopupuiReceiver. Still searching for answers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones