1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Battery drain, phone getting hot

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nieltab, Aug 15, 2012.

1. nieltab

nieltab Android Enthusiast

My battery was ok all day, but now it suddenly drains 1% every 3 minutes. It also gets hot next to the camera.

I have a samsung galaxy s advance. Any one knows wat causes this? I already moved the battery.

Thnx

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Did you look in 'Settings > Power > Battery use' to see what's using up the battery?

3. nieltab

Yea, it looks normal to me. 48% by display and 18% by browser. In the curve it shows a yellow line instead of a green line when it started draining and getting hot.

4. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

i have found that despite the '10 days standby time' that is displayed on my new Android phone's package, i am lucky if i get 6 to 10 hours of daily use before i need a recharge or a spare battery. i use it a little but, moderate use but that's the scenario with all the phones i have had. even when asleep if i have an app running (even a low footprint app) it gets hot and sometimes shuts off an reboots or just drains the battery super fast.

5. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

A good way to conserve battery is to lower screen brightness, turn off 3G/4G, turn off GPS, WIFI, or Mobile network. If the battery gets too hot the phone will shut off.

6. nickdalzell

i do all of those things anyway but i am not sure where the '10 days standby' time came from on my package. i have never seen one go more than two tops. but that's a way off figure.

Have you installed an app recently that could be hogging the CPU? or leaving any in the background running? if you use 'home' to exit instead of 'back' you're not closing apps and slowing your device down. or if you leave any running when you lock your screen this can happen. 61% of my battery was sucked by an app which i left running up front and i just locked my screen. when i woke it up and hit back and then lock, my battery stopped draining and the device was not hot anymore.

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

10 days in offline mode with no apps installed in background trying get to the net?

8. nieltab

I have been searching the Internet and the only sollution I found was removing the battery for atleast 10 seconds. This helped me after the second try.

I wasnt running Any apps in the background except the browser, I always end the active apps with a widget.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

End active apps with a widget? like a task killer? That kills more battery. The more you force kill apps, the more your battery will drain faster over prolonged use of the killer. Its an Android thing. Never ever use any task killer or widget to kill background apps. A task killer is only for rogue apps.

10. nieltab

With the widget preinstalled on the device which brings you to settings. With this you can only end apps you started yourself. Like this: I browse and play a game, then those both keep running in the background. Then I end these 2. I dont end processes activated by the device.

I do not use ant task killer app, I read that these promise to save battery but actually let it drain faster.

11. nickdalzell

whoever says task killing is worse for battery is being misled. sure, if it's a core app or service that is going to start up again, that is going to do just that. but an app that has no ability to exit on command and polls data with no means of turning it off (such as Yahoo! Mail) is going to use battery and stay running for no reason. i task killed that and got a few more hours out of my battery. this is personal experience. it depends on the app and if it has settings to turn off or exit when hitting back key. that doesn't always happen.

Angry Birds is also a good example of an ad-based game (free version) that will continue to poll data and CPU because it continues to run in the background even if you use the 'back' button to get out of it. this is a notorious battery hog too. i wish there was a true way to close apps ourselves, instead of letting Android manage it (very badly, IMO)

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Actually on my phone it doesn't. The moment I click back, Angry Birds disappears immediately even if I check running apps because I let Android manage it. The more you task kill an app, the more Android things you use that app, and the more it tries to preload the app without you initiating. Android basically polls the usage and preloads often used apps. If the app is listed as seldom used, Android doesn't leave it in cache.

As for Yahoo Mail, its set to poll data, so its supposed to be running in the background and eat the battery because of that settings. If you don't want it to poll data, then turn the polling service off. Of course you won't get email alerts, but how would you really expect it to fetch emails if its not running? Eventually Android will learn that this app isn't used much and will kill it immediately as you click back.

Now the above mentioned events is not apparent on a new phone, like a phone in use for just a month or so, because Android has not yet learned usage patterns. But in the long run, you will see the difference.

aysiu and Crashdamage like this.