• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery drain problem. Help?

hfz134

Dec 21, 2011
Ok so my phone Xperia Play r800i which i bought like 6 months ago. Recently i have some trouble with my battery life, this happened after i replaced my touchscreen (due to damage) and after i've updated the OS to 2.3.4. Before this the battery life is close to 24hours now its less than 10hours with gps, wifi, data traffic, auto sync turned off. I wanted make sure what is the cause of the problem, so i decided to exchange battery with my brother since he also have Xperia Play r800i with OS 2.3.2 which he bought just over a month ago. But i still get a battery life less than 10hours while him using my battery gets close to 24hours. So guys, any idea on what is the cause of this problem? Could it be the replacement screen or the latest OS version or others?:thinking:

Reactions: sufy1000
Right now its cell standby 59%, phone idle 32% and display 11%.

This only happened recently when my phone froze and turned off suddenly while charging, i realize the battery was really hot. Then i tried to turn the phone on and it just wont turn on. So i just plug in the charger and there is this constant blinking of red light on the power button. So i just leave it for a 3-4 hours and finally get it to turned on but the battery was left only 3% while before the phone froze it was around 60+%. Then i noticed the battery gets heated up even when the phone is idle. Any ideas on whats the cause of this problem?

Upvote 0

This only happened recently when my phone froze and turned off suddenly while charging, i realize the battery was really hot. Then i tried to turn the phone on and it just wont turn on. So i just plug in the charger and there is this constant blinking of red light on the power button. So i just leave it for a 3-4 hours and finally get it to turned on but the battery was left only 3% while before the phone froze it was around 60+%. Then i noticed the battery gets heated up even when the phone is idle. Any ideas on whats the cause of this problem?
Judging by your battery stats, I'd say you have a broken battery :(

Upvote 0

Based on this information alone I must ask what the signal is like where you use the phone the majority of the time?

Upvote 0
An update wouldnt break your battery. That level of capacity sounds dodgy to me. Why not ring up SE?

I dont think its an official battery made by SE of course, its a mugen power battery. Yea just im gonna ring up the local phone services and see what they think of it.

Based on this information alone I must ask what the signal is like where you use the phone the majority of the time?

One thing i noticed about this phone after the repair and update is that the phone keeps losing its signal very often and of course automatically search for one since i turned on the auto search for signal. Though this only happens when I'm moving from one place to another, and sometimes the phone does not pick up a signal at all depending on which location I'm at. Not sure which one to blame, my service provider or the phone. lol

Upvote 0
In this case you may want to check with your network before doing much more as your problem is not the battery this is just a symptom and is caused by the lack of signal.

So you're saying the constant search for a signal is whats heating up and draining the battery? But then even though the phone found a good signal and doesnt loses it, the battery still heats and drains very quickly. Its much worse now after the heating up battery incident occurs, my phone can only survives around 3-4hours. :mad:

Upvote 0
I am basing my assumption on the details you provided regarding the battery usage stats, these tell me that the lack of signal is what is using your battery and also likely generating the heavy processing which causes the heat. if you have no luck with the network then unfortunately you may need to get the handset looked at by an authorised repair agent.

Upvote 0
Tried exchanging battery with my brother again and still the battery drains fast, clearly battery is not the main problem here. Next, Im gonna try turning off my signal radio just to make sure whether if the signal is the cause of this problem. Also, could an app be the cause of the drain? i have apps like Watsapp turned on most of the time, though the Battery Usage stats does not show its battery usage.

Upvote 0
Update! so yea i turned off the radio, now the battery stats is phone idle 76%, cell standy 18% display 7%. Slight improvement of life with 6 hours compare to 3-4hours before just idle and still the battery heats up abit. Could it be just a bad update? Though im still going to have my phone checked just to make sure.

Upvote 0
I held off updating my phone as long as possible but about a week or 2 ago I finally let it do it's thing. As of literally this morning my phone will no longer charge when connected to the laptop at work (which it has been charging fine from since October) my usage stats for my battery main ones are also standby etc. But about an hour or so ago I noticed my phone wasn't charging up anymore and that it was getting really warm the battery finally died about 30 minutes ago and wouldn't turn back on until the battery cooled down and once it did power on it was also only at 3% power then I checked it a minute later and it was down to 1% then shut itself off again and the battery was getting hot. I've also had to have my screen replaced just to random dead spots that wouldn't recognize that it was being touched. My Signal is fine and all the rest also as I have been in the same spot at work day in and day out with the exact same signal. I know no one would admit to it anyway but this really has only started happening when I let it update itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones