• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery drain with 2.1

Oh yes. I absolutely notice these issues. Do you have auto-back light turned off and have a preset back light setting? If not go to Menu>Settings>Sound & Display>Scorll down to the back light settings. I have mine set at about 1/4 of the way up the scrolling bar. The lower you set it, the less battery power it will drain. This seems to be a good alternative to having an increase in battery life.

Upvote 0
I read if you are using stock messaging program theres an issue with it draining battery. Install something like handcent an disable stock messaging and restart phone battery life should get better.

That was an issue on 1.5 that was patched and fixed. The stock messaging app shouldn't be an issue anymore, unless it has somehow come back on 2.1.

Upvote 0
I very rarely send or receive texts so I don't think this is my issue (but I do have Handcent installed).

My phone has been unplugged for 5 hours and my battery is now at 39% and droppping. I am so tired of having to charge 2-3 times a day. The only app that I really use is ebuddy messenger but none of the other apps are out of the ordinary.

This was a problem with 1.5 but has gotten much worse since going to the official 2.1.

Upvote 0
My battery life definitely seems somewhat worse. I have things mostly set up the same and I'd guess I'm getting around 30% less time on a charge. Checked battery stats in About Phone and all around in Spare Parts and haven't been able to find anything that's excessively sucking battery, cpu or causing wakelock. Not a huge deal for me, as I can still get through a full day without charging, no problem, but it is worse for no reason I can figure out.

Upvote 0
I very rarely send or receive texts so I don't think this is my issue (but I do have Handcent installed).

My phone has been unplugged for 5 hours and my battery is now at 39% and droppping. I am so tired of having to charge 2-3 times a day. The only app that I really use is ebuddy messenger but none of the other apps are out of the ordinary.

This was a problem with 1.5 but has gotten much worse since going to the official 2.1.

i feel my battery is better in 2.1 than it was in 1.5

also, i use ebuddy and i have the option to not delay messages, and i notice it drains the hell out of my battery so i just login and logout periodically to save some battery...but ebuddy is sooo nice especially with FBchat that i cant go without it :D

Upvote 0
I WAS getting amazing battery life with the leak/now official 2.1. As soon as added my Exchange mail to the device, its just about the same on battery life as 1.5. Perhaps I'll just stop the updating during the day at the office and ping every 30 mins after hours?

EDIT: You can't adjust the frequency/time of day. Only how often it pings the server.

Upvote 0
I have read somewhere that this is a known issue with the Messaging application. HTC is preparing a fix, but donno when it will be released. The work around that seems to work is to disable the auto retrieval of messages (open Messages, Menu -> Settings, un check the auto retrieve and recieved notification) and install the Handcent app. The workarounds has improved the performance of my phone's battery by quite a lot.

Cheers,
Vamshi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones