• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery Drain

Try doing this: fully charge your phone; get it to 100%. Restart the phone in recovery with the phone still plugged in, go to the wipe menu, and wipe battery stats. Restart the phone, then unplug the phone and let it drain for as long and far as you can stand or are able.

See if that helps.

Upvote 0
Had a question about wiping battery stats and I know there are a few threads that talk about it in different ways. There is this one described by doogald, another one that says to wipe when fully charged, then wipe again when the battery is drained, another one I saw at XDA that was more involved, talking about, "plugging in the phone and charging while the phone is on, then unplugging the phone, turning it off, plugging it back in and charging while phone is off until full, turn the phone back on, then back off, charge fully again, then boot into recovery and wipe batt stats," etc. etc. so on and so forth. I guess I'm wondering if someone can tell me the point of wiping battery stats. Is it just to try to configure the phone to the battery after flashing a bunch of ROMs and confusing the phone/battery what the true levels are? I'd like to try this but don't know which of the half-dozen methods to use??? :thinking: Is this just another of the countless examples of ymmv?

Upvote 0
Had a question about wiping battery stats and I know there are a few threads that talk about it in different ways. There is this one described by doogald, another one that says to wipe when fully charged, then wipe again when the battery is drained, another one I saw at XDA that was more involved, talking about, "plugging in the phone and charging while the phone is on, then unplugging the phone, turning it off, plugging it back in and charging while phone is off until full, turn the phone back on, then back off, charge fully again, then boot into recovery and wipe batt stats," etc. etc. so on and so forth. I guess I'm wondering if someone can tell me the point of wiping battery stats. Is it just to try to configure the phone to the battery after flashing a bunch of ROMs and confusing the phone/battery what the true levels are? I'd like to try this but don't know which of the half-dozen methods to use??? :thinking: Is this just another of the countless examples of ymmv?

The reason I believe folks wipe their battery stats is to get Android to more accurately report their current battery status (i.e., percent full).

Also, IMO and as far as I know, wiping the battery stats will not give you better battery life. *

If you do want to wipe your battery stats, do as doogald suggested and only wipe them at the point that the battery is fully-charged, not when it is fully-drained (reference this: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/175856-i-bricked.html).

One last item, I believe that you should be aware that the battery stats do affect the performance of your phone, but only insofar as how you have your setCPU profiles (if you are using overclocking and something like setCPU). I.e., if you have profiles that adjust the CPU clock rate for a given battery % charge, then inaccurate stats will lead to setCPU automatically adjusting your CPU's clock speed when you don't really want them to. This could go either way (having a postive or negative impact), depending on your profiles.

I should add that I've never wiped my battery stats (I like living on the edge ;)).

My two-cents. Cheers!

* (except for how setCPU might adjust your CPU's clocking as discussed above)

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
I think the idea is that you wipe when the battery is fully charged, and then run it down as much as you are able. You don't necessarily need to drain it, but you are retraining the phone's sensor how long the battery lasts. Charging, wiping, draining, wiping, charging, wiping, draining - everything after draining that first draining is too much, IMHO, and should be replaced with "just use the phone as you normally would". Once you wipe the stats, you have just wasted all of that time the phone was sensing how much the phone discharged as you used it.

Again, my opinion. I have only wiped battery stats twice - both times when it was clear that I knew the battery should not have drained as much as the phone reported, and it seemed to work for me. Note that I have been rooted for more than 3.5 months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones