1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support battery drain

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by srprashant, May 30, 2011.

1. srprashant

srprashant Newbie
    None

May 30, 2011
    hi,
    my first post here, i just bought the samsung galaxy mini/pop yesterday. i love the phone and os but what concerns me is the batter drain. i played a song for 2-3 mins immediately after full charging and battery came down one stroke. today i just turned on the wifi for a few seconds after full charge, battery again came down one step. what exactly is this issue? are others facing this as well? :((

Advertisement

2. srprashant

srprashant Newbie
    None

May 30, 2011
    bump!
    why isnt anybody replying?

3. yudarini

yudarini Lurker
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    yes..that's Samsung weakness...therefor I use mobile charging to anticipate this prob...

4. johnnyflex

johnnyflex Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    I have this same issue too days after i bought the phone. what i did is

- i just turn off some of the active apps that i dont use.
    - lowering the brightness at the display
    - In Network settings>Mobile Network, I checked the box for "Use only 2g Network" and unchecked the "Use packet Data". (If you dont use GPRS, etc)

after setting this up, my Battery last longer from just 1 day to 3 days.

techlearn likes this.
  5. srprashant

srprashant Newbie
    None

May 30, 2011
    ok, my battery life has improved... now im noticing a new thing, the key pad tones turn off automatically at times when typing a message.... are u experiencing this?

6. techlearn

techlearn Member
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    @srprashant: i haven't experienced this problem, let me know one thing, does our phone rotate in home screen when auto rotation is turned off
    coz in my phone when i bought mine phone everything was working fine, now my phone does not rotate in home screen.

7. Mummygirl

Mummygirl Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    My phone goes completely flat in 4 hours full charge to totally flat. Three hours and forty mins to be exact even with a brand-new battery. So I'm inclined to agree really dreadful phone.
    Wondering if a factory reset (when I've got enough juice back into the darn thing) might help.
    My nokia e71 lasts up to five days and over. Samsung need reporting as unfit products for intended purpose.
    If I reset, if I can find it in settings someplace, then it might de bugs, as in none compatable android software. Android is for lots of phones, so could be the problem.
    I know I have checked that no apps are running in the background. So it ain't that. If Samsung do not give refunds then people will not own them.
    There must be faults on our phones.
    Let me know what you all think. W
    My daughter has the Motorola touch Flipout phone from Orange. It lasts two days on her phone. Not brilliant but better that four hours total.
    Please advise.

8. Mummygirl

Mummygirl Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    And I cannot untick in setting as I'm on Three network, and it needs 3G to work.

9. atulalvenkar

atulalvenkar Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Go to Settings > About Phone > Battery Use
    and check whats consuming your battery. I am getting about a day with moderate use. Sync On and on 3G.

Also check if you have set Facebook/Twitter or any other app/widget to sync every few mins. That can drain battery real fast.

10. mitra_jit2005

mitra_jit2005 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    @Mummygirl

Did you buy the cell from an authorized dealer ? Coz, sometimes, unauthorised ones can provide u with faulty handsets. My handset's battery lasts a day of vigourous use.

2 hours Wifi
    Call - 20 mins
    SMS - over 300 a day.
    Music - 1 hour

And at the end of the day, i am left with 20-25% of the battery.

Most probably, ur set is faulty. But as a last try, you can go for a complete charge cycle (Full empty to fully charged) ..By full empty, i mean, 0% battery left (cell turns off) ..And then charge it overnight with the phone SWITCHED OFF. Try doing this once (or twice if possible), every week. If you don't get the desired result within a month, get in touch with the service centres.

ersinism likes this.
  11. mitra_jit2005

mitra_jit2005 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    And moreover, I have 3G turned on all through the day (though packet data is turned off).

12. mitra_jit2005

mitra_jit2005 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Oh. Another thing, i noticed just now. It takes a hell lotta time for the battery to go from 100% to FULL. Beware - don't plug out till the notification bar says battery full. Just now, i unplugged at 100%, played a song, and within 2 mins, the battery jumped to 86% ..

myssree likes this.
  13. Jared7

Jared7 Lurker
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    Foundation Engineer-Self employed
    Fortaleza, CE Brazil
    I never experienced such radical battery drops, but I cannot honestly say that I am happy with my battery's average life spam.
    When I first bought the phone 3 months ago, it lasted almost a week.
    Although I have moved to a different continent and operator, I have already purchased the phone unblocked and operator free. I have tried app killers and they only made things worse as they take a lot of attention and some things just don't work properly.
    Ever since I have started to use juice defender, (which I am sure most of you heard of) and set it to aggressive things kinda went back to "normal".
    Today I get about 36h straight, using Wifi, 3g network package and making my average working day calls.
    Sometimes I even use maps and navigation as I am new in town and still learning my way around. I often use the mp3 player as well.

From what I read above, some of you have serious problems with your battery life, but I also haven't read anywhere a "definitive" solution for something that seems to be more of a manufacturer glitch that Samsung has yet to solve as complaints pile up, than something related to phone misconfiguration or excessive usage.

14. myssree

myssree Lurker
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    @ Jared7. Thanx pal for ur info. But what is "juice defender"?

15. atulalvenkar

atulalvenkar Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Battery dropping couple points soon after charging is normal and expected. Android does this to increase battery life. Li-ion batteries should not be kept fully charged or fully discharged for long time as it affects its life.

16. suicidallooney

suicidallooney Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    London, UK
    Right i am aware this thread is a little older but i'd like to share my battery experience because i feel it will help.

First off i don't think i had any battery faults, my battery died pretty damn quick one 1 day of barely using it with just normal settings wifi, bluetooth off, 3g data on, this got annoying fast

The standard battery is 1200mAh, you can pick up a 1500mAh battery off amazon or ebay rather cheaply (around 4 pounds with free delivery)

After getting this battery i did a full charge, then used it till it was almost dead then fully charged again... on the first day battery was the same as the original... barely made it through the day.

Then i turned off auto rotation... wow the battery life increased hugely, by the end of the day in same usage as above i was left with 41% battery.

So i've tested this and found that auto rotation being turned off with wifi and bluetooth saves alot of battery (3G data on)

While testing though i've come to realise the accelerometer doesn't fully turn off even when the option has been unchecked, you can verify this rotating the phone in gallery and the background moves around with the phone.

None the lesss with the option unchecked, battery life increases plus the extra 200mAh

Battery for sale links:

1500 mAh Battery for Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570 | eBay UK

Modern-Tech Replacement 1500mAh Extended Battery for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

ersinism likes this.