1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

battery drain

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Android Question

i have a samsung galaxy s4 and it is less than 3 months old. it is not one of the recalled batteries.

it dies on 90%+ battery and then when i plug it in its fully charged again. i can not use applications like camera. it will turn my phone off straight away. same thing with games. i can use applications like instagram and facebook for about 30 mins even with a full battery.

this is so frustrating. can anyone help me please?
    i check the battery under setting and it says my screen is using all the battery but ive tried everything and i cant seem to find the problem.

did i just get a dud battery?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Fully charge the battery. Turn the phone on with the screen shutoff set as short as your phone allows (15 seconds?) Let the phone sit for an hour. Then see what's been using most of your battery. If it's the screen something is wrong, probably in the phone.

You could have a battery with an impurity in it (which would be a manufacturing defect). As the battery discharges, at the point of the impurity a little crystal (a dendrite) grows until it shorts the battery. The short burns out (it's tiny thin whisker of a crystal), but the battery voltage drops enough to shut the phone off.

Run a battery monitor app - the kind that keeps a graph of the battery voltage. When the phone dies, turn it back on and check the graph. If, just at the point that the phone died, the battery voltage "fell off a cliff", that's probably the problem.

In all honesty, the manufacturer should replace the battery at no charge, since it's a manufacturing defect, but with most stores, carriers and manufacturers, and considering the price of a good-quality replacement battery, it's probably not worth the effort (which could take days, many phone calls, letters, etc.) to go further than seeing if the place you bought the phone will replace the battery. If not, look on Amazon. I've never dealt with the company, but a lot of posters here have said that they've had very good results with Anker batteries (which you'll find on Amazon).