1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery drain

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bigt, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bigt

bigt Android Enthusiast
    None

May 19, 2010
    Admin
    Hereford
    I usually have decent battery life (12+ hours with 4hours ish sceen on time) but every now and then (maybe fortnightly) I will notice the battery draining alot quicker, I look at the stats and Google Play Services seems to be the culprit. Is it usual for this to cause battery drain on a seemingly random basis?

Rooted Nexus 5 running Cataclysm ROM and Franco R31 kernel

Advertisement

2. Wrend

Wrend Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2013
    Male
    Private IT Field
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Yeah. I think that's common. I manage this stuff now so that it runs on my terms. Battery life on a full charge is about two days, provided I'm not doing extra stuff on the phone, especially playing games, for an extended amount of time.

Check out the Snapdragon BatteryGuru app. I like to set it up so that other apps only connect when I run them, unless I want live notifications from them, then I set them to connect as they want, like my work e-mail, which is set to Automatic (Push).

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Play services can be a big battery drain, as its probably syncing apps and their data, location, or other things in the background.

There was a recent update that should have taken care of the location problems, but the others is likely based on what you have it syncing.

4. jclake

jclake Member
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Do you have Dropbox on your phone? If yes do you have auto synch phots enabled? If yes, try disabling auto synch on the Dropbox app.

5. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Can you check the play services version in settings/apps/all? Is it 4.1.x? 4.1 fixed the location issue that Rxpert83 referred to - I noticed a significant improvement after that update a week or so ago.

6. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 3, 2014
    Male
    Retired
    Cheshire
    Looking in App Info, I find that the Google Search page has permissions to:

"directly call phone numbers - this may cost you money"
    and
    "edit your text messages, read your text messages, and send SMS messages - this may cost you money".

I can't believe that an app is able to send text messages and especially make phone calls without me knowing! Surely this can't be right.

Is there something I should do about this or, hopefully, have I misunderstood the meaning of these statements?

7. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    It doesn't say without you knowing. It just says it may cost you money. If I use Google search bar or Voice search to turn up a contact, I can then call or text to that contact. Or, I can ask OK Google to call my favorite restaurant. If it did not have those permissions, which it showed me when I downloaded it, it couldn't do those actions.

By and large, the functionality we want in our mobile programs require deep permissions. Apple, Windows Phone, hell, even Palm and Win Mobile had some of those capabilities all along. At least, here, you are being told, before downloading, that it will be able to do those things. ;)

JBentleyR likes this.
  8. zipred

zipred Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2013
    California USA
    I really enjoy having choices of how I setup my phone to sync my various apps and accounts, it's a huge advantage of the Android OS. By taking some time to think and plan my setup according to my needs I'm experiencing excellent battery life even though I'm a very heavy user.

Already very happy with it's ability to breeze through a twelve hour workday, I still have over 35% to use in the evening.

Then I found the Qualcomm BatteryGuru app. After it's initial learning period where it monitors one's usage it then begins extending the battery life significantly. In addition it also features user adjustable preferences on a per app basis for robust granular control. Now after doing some fine tuning I've been enjoying nearly double the battery life. All for free, an exemplary app.

The terrific experience I'm enjoying with my Nexus 5 has exceeded my expectations beyond what I thought possible.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 3, 2014
    Male
    Retired
    Cheshire
    Thanks Hook. You've put my mind at rest!

10. Jomero

Jomero Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Between the batteryguru for snapdragon and enabling ART, I've noticed a difference in battery life.

ART is still unfinished, but it's already doing well. The tradeoff for using it is about 10 - 20% more space used up by your apps (so they can launch faster, meaning less processing power, meaning less battery used).

11. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Android police did a study on battery life and the conclusions were basically that ART had little to no effect. It was actually worse in certain scenarios.

Meet ART, Part 3: Battery Life Benchmarks - Not Good, But Not Too Bad

Hard to take too much from it though without delving deeper into how they did it. Methods make or break a study.

12. val88

val88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    It has happened to me a few times where google search would suddenly use 40% of my battery. Has only happened over night.
    It also happened twice on my galaxy nexus 2 months ago right before I switched to the n5.

Tags: