• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Drainage after Updating to ICS

Can't you export your data, say to your PC, and then re-import once you have reset?

I treat my note as a duplicate of my data that is either in the cloud or on my PC.

Ian

Not found a way as yet.

Somehow the data is encrypted or embedded in such a way that I cannot extract it separately.

No problem previously with WM (which is how I've managed since '97!) but Android and/or Samsung and/or WebIS have woven a very convoluted web!

Upvote 0
*Phew*. I upgraded my note to ICS yesterday and was worried that it was just my imagination about the battery drain.

The thing that I've noticed that seems to drain my battery most the the screen. Looking at the battery under Settings, currently 46% of battery use is because of the display. At one point yesterday it was over 70%. By making sure the screen is off when I'm not using the phone it has saved the battery a bit.

I think I'll run the battery down, then charge it back up to 100% then take it out and put it back in after seeing someones commetn earlier about calibration. It can't do any harm.

Upvote 0
*Phew*. I upgraded my note to ICS yesterday and was worried that it was just my imagination about the battery drain.

The thing that I've noticed that seems to drain my battery most the the screen. Looking at the battery under Settings, currently 46% of battery use is because of the display. At one point yesterday it was over 70%. By making sure the screen is off when I'm not using the phone it has saved the battery a bit.

I think I'll run the battery down, then charge it back up to 100% then take it out and put it back in after seeing someones commetn earlier about calibration. It can't do any harm.

Yes, currently I have found two methods to correct the battery issue.
1. Charge the Note fully then turn on the screen and disconnect the power charge.
Next step is to power the Note down completely and restart.
Once restarted this seems to correct the battery calibration during that cycle of use.
Note: You have to do this procedure each and every time.

2. Charge the phone as normal but when the percentage gets to the final 2% (98% charged) put the Note into Airplane mode and continue charging.
Once you believe charging to be complete turn on the Note's screen and disconnect the power source.
Finally, turn off Airplane mode.
Note: You have to do this procedure each and every time.

The two methods are not ideal and may not work for everyone who has this battery issue.
All I can say is for the time-being both methods are working for me.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Ive been more than happy with my Notes Battery Life before the Update. It usually lasted about 1 1/2 day with normal usage.
Ive updated my phone last Saturday to ICS and now my phone isnt even lasting 8 hours.
I didnt install any Apps or made any changes after the update. The only thing I did is change my settings back to my prefernces.
I can basically watch my phone losing its charge and i noticed that it becomes quite hot when I am carrying it in my pants.
Actually using my phone for something acclerates this even more.

I wonder of anyone could give me any hintson how to prevent this? I really regret that I updated to this firmware because besides the battery issues some things like Firefox even run rather shaggy....

Thanks in advance!

This is happening when your phone doesn't go into deep-sleep. You can check that by installing an app called "CPU Spy".

If your phone doesnt go into deep-sleep mode, then the battery will drain very quickly.

Upvote 0
So, since I updated, I've also been experiencing the same problem.

The phone sometimes gets incredibly hot and the battery drains at a phenomenal rate.

I've followed the advice on these threads and did a factory reset, USB storage format and no joy.

Sometimes, while on charge, the battery actually discharges. Or at least it seems to go up and down. It's bizarre.

The Swype keyboard app could be the problem. I haven't been able to test this yet.

Upvote 0
follow these 2 methods to improve battery life...worked for me!

1.for those like me who encountered problems with their note after the ICS upgrade, here's a simple solution: cache wipe! From power off, enter Recovery mode by pressing Vol UP + Power + Home button. If the wipe cache option is available, use the vol keys to choose, then press the power button to select. choose reboot system after. No data lose will occur with wiping cache. After the wipe, it might be a bit laggy the first few minutes as the note rebuilds the cache. restart the system once or twice just to be sure =)

2. After upgrading to ICS I also noticed battery life was shot. It was not going into deep sleep mode because of wakelock problems. To confirm, download CPU spy from the play store and check it. Normally the Note should go to deep sleep most of the time. If not, the following solution worked for me from xda

"0. Go to settings > sound and turn off touch sounds and screen lock sounds

These steps stop the kernel wakelock 100% problem:

1.turn on aeroplane mode
2.turn off device
3.take out battery for 10 seconds
4.turn on device
5.wait for everything to load
6.turn off airplane mode"

Upvote 0
follow these 2 methods to improve battery life...worked for me!

1.for those like me who encountered problems with their note after the ICS upgrade, here's a simple solution: cache wipe! From power off, enter Recovery mode by pressing Vol UP + Power + Home button. If the wipe cache option is available, use the vol keys to choose, then press the power button to select. choose reboot system after. No data lose will occur with wiping cache. After the wipe, it might be a bit laggy the first few minutes as the note rebuilds the cache. restart the system once or twice just to be sure =)

2. After upgrading to ICS I also noticed battery life was shot. It was not going into deep sleep mode because of wakelock problems. To confirm, download CPU spy from the play store and check it. Normally the Note should go to deep sleep most of the time. If not, the following solution worked for me from xda

"0. Go to settings > sound and turn off touch sounds and screen lock sounds

These steps stop the kernel wakelock 100% problem:

1.turn on aeroplane mode
2.turn off device
3.take out battery for 10 seconds
4.turn on device
5.wait for everything to load
6.turn off airplane mode"

I would agree, the methods you mention would most probably work for others. Trouble is though, when you next charge your phone and use the Note as you normally did under Gingerbread the problem comes back.
Unfortunately I have not found a permanent fix. You have to apply these fixes every time you recharge the phone.

Upvote 0
Here what I did on my G-Note based on the same drainage issue and memory leak in my Blackberry Bold.
1. After updated to official ICS, my G-Note became hot at all time because processor is downloading something fishy. Battery survive barely 8-10 hours only during normal usage.
2. Backup all data and settings then do a factory reset. Restore backup file. (Better if you backup and restore data before updating to ICS)
3. After factory reset, u will lose all apps installed from Playstore. Install them again from Playstore. U dont have to pay again any paid apps. Only games data lost, got to start new. Apps installed before updated to ICS could be the culprits of memory leaks and battery drain. Some apps which are not fully fixed or updated got issues with ICS.
4. Do a battery calibration by discharging until 1-2% left. Recharge again for 8 hours or more just like when we first using it. Do not do this too often, can overkill the battery.

After I did all these, my G-Note is back to normal and awsome with Nova launcher.
Good luck everyone.

I had tried this. It work for me pretty well. Thank you for the solution :D

Upvote 0
I have also heard that whilst turning the phone off after it reaches 1%, removing the battery and hopping around on one leg, making a noise like a giraffe. IF you hold your nose and wear a tin foil hat, sometimes, maybe sort of...... you'll be able to save a nano watt or gain an extra 3 mins of battery life.
Just what I read somewhere I think on the internet maybe..... ;)

Upvote 0
I have also heard that whilst turning the phone off after it reaches 1%, removing the battery and hopping around on one leg, making a noise like a giraffe. IF you hold your nose and wear a tin foil hat, sometimes, maybe sort of...... you'll be able to save a nano watt or gain an extra 3 mins of battery life.

Annoying when people exaggerate.... It was tune your Satellite TV receiver to Channel 666 whilst reciting an underground prayer.

Personally I found this inaccurate and used Channel Heavens Above followed by The Lords Prayer.

Upvote 0

Hey Vic,

I am totally keen to save those vital three minutes of battery life, but the giraffes at my local zoo are somewhat shy (or uncooperative) and refuse to make a noise. Any chance you could video the procedure and post it on YouTube?

I would fund it most useful ;)

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I am considering upgrading my HTC Desire to the G-Note as I would like to take advantage of the big screen and use it also as a kindle. However. after reading what is going on with the battery I am really reconsidering the Note. Do you think I will face the same issues if I buy it new this week in a UK store? I am asking because I am not sure if a new one will come with ICS preinstalled and as a result will have less issues.
Looking forward to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
G

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I am considering upgrading my HTC Desire to the G-Note as I would like to take advantage of the big screen and use it also as a kindle. However. after reading what is going on with the battery I am really reconsidering the Note. Do you think I will face the same issues if I buy it new this week in a UK store? I am asking because I am not sure if a new one will come with ICS preinstalled and as a result will have less issues.
Looking forward to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
G
I very much doubt any new note will have ICS pre-installed.
However, for a new user it shouldn't be too much an issue.
1. Switch on the Note for the first time.
2. Get your Internet and basic setup sorted then search for an OTA upgrade (it should be there for UK owners).
3. Download the upgrade and let it update (will take a good while around 40 mins).
4. After update perform a Factory Reset.
5. After it has finished redo your basic setup again and use the Note as intended.

It should be okay but as added insurance when you purchase the Note let them know of the issue and that you may end up returning it if it does not perform correctly.
If the seller has any issues with this WALK AWAY and don't purchase from them.
As a UK customer you are protected under the Sales of Goods Act ~ the item MUST be fit for general purpose usage.

Reactions: goguca
Upvote 0
I very much doubt any new note will have ICS pre-installed.
However, for a new user it shouldn't be too much an issue.
1. Switch on the Note for the first time.
2. Get your Internet and basic setup sorted then search for an OTA upgrade (it should be there for UK owners).
3. Download the upgrade and let it update (will take a good while around 40 mins).
4. After update perform a Factory Reset.
5. After it has finished redo your basic setup again and use the Note as intended.

It should be okay but as added insurance when you purchase the Note let them know of the issue and that you may end up returning it if it does not perform correctly.
If the seller has any issues with this WALK AWAY and don't purchase from them.
As a UK customer you are protected under the Sales of Goods Act ~ the item MUST be fit for general purpose usage.

Many thanks for these steps and recommendation. What do you think is the average battery life I should get in between charges under this scenario? of course it changes from person to person but would like to have a benchmark to see if the thing is working properly or not.

Thanks Beards!

Upvote 0
Many thanks for these steps and recommendation. What do you think is the average battery life I should get in between charges under this scenario? of course it changes from person to person but would like to have a benchmark to see if the thing is working properly or not.

Thanks Beards!
You are quite correct, it does differ from person to person.... but if you played music for say 1 hour, watched a movie, did Internet work/Emails for 2 hours and played a few games for an hour you should still be left with around 25%.
However, if you have a lot of Apps working in the background all hitting the processor and battery this will then change the times.

I personally can get a full days use (8am til 8pm) without a charge.
However, with light use I can get 24hrs no problem.

Upvote 0
during Monday to Friday i don't use my note at work as I've a company phone,
and with an hours youtube, (16% loss) reading a few news sites such as bbc, a couple of forums, e'mails etc i can easily get 3 days,
so I thought why have I got the screen brightness to auto etc.
I turned that up, put screen mode to dynamic, so I can enjoy the best thing on the note, the screen.
stop worrying about the battery, if you must, just get a spare

having said that,I always sync manually and have wifi, bluethooth and gps off unless required and when i come out an app, I make sure its closed in task manager.

Keith :)

Upvote 0
You are quite correct, it does differ from person to person.... but if you played music for say 1 hour, watched a movie, did Internet work/Emails for 2 hours and played a few games for an hour you should still be left with around 25%.
However, if you have a lot of Apps working in the background all hitting the processor and battery this will then change the times.

I personally can get a full days use (8am til 8pm) without a charge.
However, with light use I can get 24hrs no problem.

Many thanks.

Just when I feel decided and convinced, the news are here for a G-Note 2... hahaha. The beauty of this game of waiting to get a device is that always there is a newer version round the corner.

Now I will see if I wait until October (and who knows if it's true that comes then)... In any case, I think the Note is definetely the device for my needs even if the S3 is beautiful and powerful. At least, I know that!

Upvote 0
Guys, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note, upgraded to ICS sometime last week and facing battery issues. No other issues with Swype or any other software, the phone works like a charm as long as it is charged. Off the power, and the whole thing lasts me about 4 hours.

I am not going to give up on ICS yet and am considering a factory reset - can anyone help me understand what will I lose by doing that? Files, music, pictures, apps I can back-up/download, but will I lose my contacts? That's the only thing that I am worried about since I cannot back that up since Kies does not work for me.

Thanks in anticipation of your help!

Best Regards,
Manik Dua.
(Did I say that ICS is amazing, as long as the battery issue is fixed?)
(unrooted phone)

Upvote 0
Guys, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note, upgraded to ICS sometime last week and facing battery issues. No other issues with Swype or any other software, the phone works like a charm as long as it is charged. Off the power, and the whole thing lasts me about 4 hours.

I am not going to give up on ICS yet and am considering a factory reset - can anyone help me understand what will I lose by doing that? Files, music, pictures, apps I can back-up/download, but will I lose my contacts? That's the only thing that I am worried about since I cannot back that up since Kies does not work for me.

Thanks in anticipation of your help!

Best Regards,
Manik Dua.
(Did I say that ICS is amazing, as long as the battery issue is fixed?)
(unrooted phone)

I am not running ICS myself so you can take this with a pinch of salt, but I don

Upvote 0
After upgrading to ICS the battery life went down from nearly 25-30 hours to 8-10 hours.

After searching the web I came across this link:

Android India: Not Happy with ICS ? Downgrade Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 to Official Android 2.3.6 Firmware

It gives a detailed protocol for downgrading your Galaxy Note from ICS to GB. It also gives a link for downloading the software (Approx. 490 Mb) required to do the downgrading.

Once the software was downloaded and installed onto my computer, and by following the instructions, it took me about 10-15 minutes to do the job.

Now my Galaxy note is working absolutely fine. I have got the battery life back to normal.

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones