• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery draining 15% every 20 minutes!

Just a few days ago I was getting really decent battery life. I would unplug it at 10am and by 11pm it was still at 40% with moderate use. Now I barely use my phone and it drops 15-20% in 20 minutes! Wtf?! I unplug it at 10am and by 11pm it is dead. I haven't really downloaded any apps, the only thing that changed is I uninstalled Advanced Task Killer because I read those are bad. Seems like my battery has gotten worse without it. Oh and my Cell Standby has been eating up 70% of my battery and the time without signal is almost always at 50% even though I'm in good signal areas most of the time. Can someone tell me what's going on with my phone and why it suddenly dies so fast?

First, if your battery is lasting from 10 am til 11 pm... that's pretty good. I would be content and just charge it at night. But if you want a fix, here is one.My battery performed the exact same way. I would suggest powering off phone, removing battery, power it back on and toggle airplane mode a couple times... to see if that will help.Although that did not fix my issue, it's worth a shot. If that doesn't work install Juice Defender beta (don't worry about the "beta" title... it's been in the market for awhile), open and select "enable". I also have mine set to aggressive. If your phone sits idle quite a bit, this is a great app. Data is turned off when the screen is off and turned back on once every 15 minutes(for apps that need it). I had an Evo beforehand and this app didn't seem to help as much (probably because I used it more) as it does with the Optimus V.

Upvote 0
Do you toggle CDMA?

That really is what helped my "searching for signal" time.

Every time I turn the phone on (which is not every day), I dial *#*#4636#*#* choose "phone information," scroll down to where it says "CDMA auto (prl)" and pull that menu down, change it to "CDMA only" (it will change to 1g) then check "CDMA auto (prl)" again to get it back to 3G.

It is some kind of bug, and this does work (well, it sure works for me.)

Went fro 50% time looking for signal to 0%.

Can't remember who posted to do that, but I sure do thank them!

ETA: It isn't a permanent fix, and you do have to repeat it when you reboot the phone.

Upvote 0
I usually had a full day's charge on my Optimus when I had it. 7am to 10pm. I charged it overnight.

On a related note (but unrelated at the same time).

I have the counterpart of the Optimus V called the THRIVE/PHOENIX on AT&T (GSM). the battery life last me almost 2 days.

that said, the increase in battery life must have something to do with it being on a different network (GSM). Perhaps its not always "searching for a signal/data). Always on 3G, and always 3+ bars.

Perhaps if you have weak Sprint in your area, searching for a tower/data signal is draining the battery more rapidly. Perhaps a CDMA signal draws more juice, therefore requires more battery.

Couldn't be happer with the Thrive on AT&T.........Sorry Sprint, you can't serve this town.

Upvote 0
there is a known issue with the lg optimus v and 3g connectivity. the phone tends to lose connection for whatever reason and thrash around trying to regain. sometimes, going into airplane mode and back out will reset the 3g.

my solution is to turn on wifi at work. when i do this, my battery drain goes to about 3% per hour. my phone is not rooted, stock rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones