• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery draining excessively while in standby mode

Morning, all --

Got a problem that crops up sometimes, and it happened again last night:
I shut down background apps (using System Panel Lite) to try to avoid any excessive battery drainage, but when I wake up 6-7 hours later, my battery's been drained dangerously far anyway.

Last night in particular, I can't pinpoint the charge difference (I didn't look before I went to sleep), but can pretty confidently say it would be a drain north of 40% of the charge. And again, this is while in standby mode and not used once.

The odd thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, it's sporadic. I hadn't installed any new apps yesterday (and while I had the day before that, my battery was fine overnight on THAT day).

It's a Samsung Galaxy S.

Any thoughts/insight/suggestions?

Thanks!

It happens because you use task killers. That's a rather normal symptom of using task killers on Android phones: increased battery drain. The more you use task killers to kill apps, the more your battery gets drained.

Android conserves battery by reducing CPU cycles of running apps but keeping them in background. Android logs your most used apps and apps which require background services easily accessible and loads them up. Unloading them makes android think you used them and it crashed, so the phone will automatically try to reload the app, and it uses up CPU cycles.

Upvote 0
I am on Galaxy S with XXJVK Gingerbread 2.3.3

This happens occasionally with me, the handset starts getting warm. Many a times, I have immediately checked it by Settings-->About Phone---> Battery Use.

It is always "Android OS" which is the cause of highest battery drain. The solution is a Restart.

Why it happens, I don't know exactly. I have observed that whenever there is a Force Close, this thing happens but not always.

Upvote 0
yep me too - nothing to do with task killers - I don't use them. I'm on 2.3.3, gingerbread.xxjvo
this has been happening maybe a couple of times a month and power cycling usually solved it but I installed Dungeon hunter three and it became almost continuous. I've taken that off now so back to the usual situation but it might be worth your while deleting apps a couple at a time and seeing if that changes anything.

I've once or twice caught the media scanner running for no apparent reason and wondered if that has anything to do with it.

My phone also occasionally just spontaneously reboots ( maybe every few weeks ) - the only indicator being I hear the samsung jingle go off in my pocket, wonder if that's connected.

Not noticed any connection to force close and my phone isn't rooted if that makes a difference

Upvote 0
Morning, all --

Got a problem that crops up sometimes, and it happened again last night:
I shut down background apps (using System Panel Lite) to try to avoid any excessive battery drainage, but when I wake up 6-7 hours later, my battery's been drained dangerously far anyway.

Last night in particular, I can't pinpoint the charge difference (I didn't look before I went to sleep), but can pretty confidently say it would be a drain north of 40% of the charge. And again, this is while in standby mode and not used once.

The odd thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, it's sporadic. I hadn't installed any new apps yesterday (and while I had the day before that, my battery was fine overnight on THAT day).

It's a Samsung Galaxy S.

Any thoughts/insight/suggestions?

Thanks!
Hi Same problem but really worse after ICS upgrade mine lost 70% of its life overnight. Lots of reports on forums same issue none of the suggestions such as factory reset worked for me . I appear to have solved this using JuiceDefender Ultimate.

Upvote 0
Have you all tried factory reset, wipe cache & wipe dalvik cache..??
Or the best solution is to upgrade/update firmware..(many old gingerbread firmware had various bugs/issues..which were fixed when new firmware was released)..
most of you are on 2.3.3...Google system has now reached ics 4.0.4 or in terms of gingerbread 2.3.6 way past 2.3.3 (many many bugs fixed in newer firmware)
:cool:

Upvote 0
Installing the battery widgets might solve your problem. They help to increase the battery life 40 - 50%. There are many widgets and you can select the most suited battery widget for your device from the play store.

Personally I disagree.. installing battery widget will give you control, but will not "increase" battery if anything the widget it self will use battery consumption..
These so called battery apps run in the background hence extra battery consumption.. They help only to get better battery/help reduce excess consumption..
(remember is my personal opinion only)

Reactions: nadiyanj
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones