1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Battery draining very fast

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by fbmac, Jan 29, 2016.

1. fbmac

fbmac Lurker

On my Galaxy S3, my battery is being drained very fast. It's rooted, and there isn't any wakelock listed in betterbatterystats. The battery is being drained while in deep sleep, something between 10% and 15% per hour.

Is there anything I can test before replacing this battery?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. You can try GSam Battery Monitor and System Panel Lite. These apps should give you a good idea where the juice is being used.
    How old is the battery, is it original? Have you inspected it for swelling which is a sure sign that it's done?

3. fbmac

fbmac Lurker

I tried many apps, it doesn't show in betterbatterystats, os monitor, the shell "top" command, dumpsys, etc. Battery calibration, the *#0228# code, etc, etc.

The battery doesn't have any visible damage, but it does spin (I've read the spinning test is bullshit, so I don't trust it too much).

I think the phone is 2 year old, but the battery label say it was manufactured in 2013.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The spin test just sees if there is a bulge. The battery should be flat, hence won't spin.

I'd say your battery is just old. Normally they're good for just 1 or 2 year use.

tube517 likes this.
  5. Yes if the battery spins on a flat surface that means it's somewhat swollen. It should be perfectly flat. This test is just an alternate way to confirm a slight swelling when it isn't bad enough to be really obvious. Any amount of swelling is bad and the battery should be replaced at the earliest opportunity, for both battery life and safety reasons.
    At 2-3 years old and presumably a whole lot of charge/discharge cycles I'd say that battery has completed its expected life cycle.

6. Coug

Coug Newbie

The second a battery is pulled off the manufacturing line it's already begun very slowly dying, it's just what they do. They were never designed to last forever. Batteries go bad over time, all the time without showing signs of swelling. The spinning is just ONE way of possibly determining a bad battery. The fact that you got two years out of it is pretty impressive. I got a solid 11 months out of mine before I began to notice a more rapid rate of discharge. The good thing is they're cheap to replace just take a look on Amazon.