• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery drop in low coverage areas.

mikes1

Android Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2012
I have a question with the battery. I went to see Django Unchained last night and I wanted to see how much my battery would drop in the movie theater. Now I realize that the movie theater doesn't have great reception and it would bounce from 3G to 1X on Verizon. I saw the movie which was 3 hours total with the previews and such, with my battery starting at exactly 50%. When I got to my car my battery was all the way down to 22% and I didn't even use it at all. That seems ridiculous. 3 hours to lose that much battery. Nothing was on either. No wi-fi or anything. Is losing 28% of battery in 3 hours in low service areas normal? Is there anything to combat this battery loss while in areas like this without going to airplane mode?

What happens is when you are in a low coverage area, the PA (Power Amplifier) inside the phone has to ramp up to max power to hold onto what little signal it has. This is a big drain on the battery.

I guess I have a few more questions then. Would putting it in power saving mode help this at all? And also I'm running google now with the location services. I only have it active for traffic, weather, and sports though so since I did that I noticed during the day the battery has been fine. But does location services also cause battery drain when the phone itself or the PA is trying to get that signal?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones