1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Battery Experiences - POST HERE!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jameskk, Nov 11, 2011.

1. KOBasinger

KOBasinger Member
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    This may sound stupid but sorry in advance. I work first shift and i like to keep my phone charged through the usb cable to the computer. Is it bad for the battery to keep it constantly charging throughout the day?

Advertisement

2. gixxersixxerman

None

Jan 5, 2010
    ASE auto tech
    So. Cal.
    just under 8 hrs... 7hrs 52mins, and i was at 40% before i plugged it in.. i was sitting in a truck all day on 3g as we dont have 4g on base.. hell we dont have 4g in barstow lol.. anyways, lots of web browsing and the screen was on low till about 4 hrs.. i noticed a bigger drop in batt life which is expected.. yesterday i watch a movie and a half with the screen on full power about 4 and a half hrs total before 30%, which was just a little better then my old droid X.. 15hrs of being on battery today and an hour and 15 mins on charge and its at 70% the charge time was the drive home.. like i do every day so battery life for me so far has been a non issue

3. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Not my experience at all.

I typically turn WiFi off, but Sunday evening I had it on while I was at the house, mostly to improve load times. I forgot to turn it off.

Yesterday at work, by noon, I was down to less than 50% battery, and I knew that something was wrong when I noticed that it was extremely warm.

In this case, I was NOT locked onto any WiFi signals, but we have a lot at work. I'm guessing that searching all the time, and looking for a signal to lock onto is what kills your battery...

CADman_ks

4. dmaxfan

dmaxfan Well-Known Member
    None

TURN OFF POCKET DETECTION MODE! It helps alot from what I can tell.

KOBasinger likes this.
  5. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Yup. That was one of the very first things that I turned off.

I've noticed today, now again, that the phone is warm again, like it's still trying to do something. I'll have to look into this more, and figure out what it's doing...

CADman_ks

6. usnrma

usnrma Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Department of Homeland Security
    Greer, SC
    I had my phone go from 100% to 0% and shut off in 4h 54 min today. I had phone in my pocket and Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth were all turned off. Twitter updates every two hours and Facebook every three and Beautiful Widgets hourly. The Motorola Services tab says 58% battery usage , com.motorola.friendfeed 26% Android OS &% Phone Idle 6% and Cell Standby 4%. I did'nt make a single call, play a single game check an email or anything and the phone couldnt make it through my part-time job today. Any ideas. Motorla told me to do a Factory Data reset but I am not going there yet, my DX had 80% after same time with same apps, only difference is phone and 4g LTE. Any idea's on how to have 4g off and let it only kick on when I try to download an app or browse the web, automatically? I appreciate any help.

7. LeDroitGTIGuy

LeDroitGTIGuy Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Hard Lee Working Group, Inc.
    Washington DC
    I had a breakthrough today with Smart Actions. I'm currently at over 11 hours off charger, and I'm sitting at 50% power. I've rooted the phone, froze many of the bloat bits not essential to phone operation (redundant much?), and I've played around with Smart Actions triggers quite a bit. I was worried about the battery, what with little hope of ever installing a custom kernel, but after today I'm feeling quite a bit better. The real test will be tomorrow at work, where I'm hoping my Motion Detector trigger to cut mobile data off will help me out. We'll see.

8. Mondaris

Mondaris Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Washington
    My battery life has been above what's expected (at least by my standards.) Today I've had it unplugged for about 11 hours and am at the 60% mark. That's with moderate use and about a hour with the 4g on (listening to pandora in the car.) I usually have it set to turn 3g/4g off when connected to a wifi spot which makes a big difference.

Also have it set to airplane mode during your sleeping hours if you're not into charging while you're sleeping. Coming from a dinc then iphone 4 I can tell you I love the battery on this phone. :)

9. sycor

sycor Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    Why is this? I would think it would be the opposite.

10. carcemont

carcemont Lurker
    None

Nov 24, 2011
    I bought mine last night. Got it home around 9pm. Traded in Iphone. Thinking I made a mistake. Battery is horrible. Search it for a little while. Charged completely. Did not touch it again. This morning completely no battery. Phone was completely shut down. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I bring back and get Iphone 4S?
    Can there be open pages that need to be shut down to save battery life and if so how do I find them and shut them down?

11. LeDroitGTIGuy

LeDroitGTIGuy Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Hard Lee Working Group, Inc.
    Washington DC
    You're coming from 3G to 4G, so you're going to experience an adjustment period in terms of battery. Read a bit about Smart Actions and how to use it to conserve battery. Also look into Juice Defender. The Razr is a great phone, and once you figure it out, the battery is fine.

12. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    There are many things that can cause the battery drain and the 4s is no saint either ;)

Battery is doing fine for me, but I only use 4g when I need it unless charging and do not use background data pushing from social or message apps. Seems like you have something funky going on with yours, based on your description.

I do get a media task hang sometimes and will drain the battery if I do not catch it. Pretty sure it is a bug.