1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery first time

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mythoz, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Mythoz

Mythoz Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    hello there,

today I got my HTC Desire S, I plugged it in to complete a full charge as instructed. I turned the phone on once during this charge but then turned it off about 5 minutes later. I have had the phone on with short bursts updating apps, using wifi, general setup and downloading apps for about 3 hours - my battery is already at 50%

is the battery normally this weak? or will the battery become stronger after a few regular charge cycles.

thanks

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It'll become better after a few charge cycles, 10 or so days at most.

I was shocked with my DHD when I got it initially; I got about 8 hours out of the first charge but it gradually got better over a week or so. Before I rooted and installed CM7, I'd get about 40 hours out of it with medium-heavy use. The Desire S has a smaller screen and a bigger battery so in theory, yours should last a bit longer.

It'll be HTC's default settings too which will mean autosync and auto brightness will be on. Turn autosync off and keep the brightness at around 40% and you should see a bit of an improvement.

3. Mythoz

Mythoz Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Thanks for the reply,

Thats good to know, and I will disable auto sync to preserve battery life

4. Mythoz

Mythoz Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Just another question, will it damage my battery if I say charge the phone from 40% to full as opposed to letting it drain all the way down and then charging it? And is it a good idea to leave the phone plugged in overnight - does this weaken the battery?

5. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    For the first few charges, let it die completely and charge fully again. After that, you can charge how you want. I normally charge mine at 40% if I can (but not religiously, it doesn't do the battery any harm to have a full cycle once in a while) and often leave it overnight. The battery's charging chip knows when it's fully charge to it stops accepting.

It's actually bad for the battery if you let it die completely, likewise it's bad to charge it fully too. As a consequence, in most HTC handsets, the kernel is set to tell the battery it's full when it reaches 95% or so, but it will still report it's 100% charged.

6. Mythoz

Mythoz Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Okay, this is the 3rd time i've charged it, including the first charge of the handset out of the box. On the second charge I let the battery hit 0 then charged it but I am charging it this time from 40% battery - is that okay?

7. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yeah, fine. :)

Mythoz likes this.
  8. Mythoz

Mythoz Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Thank you for all the help :)

9. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
  10. magz

magz Lurker
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Hi all, could anyone advise me my desire battery is draining rapid on normal use, But it is struggling connecting to house internet, everytime i look its saying connecting to blah blah connection failed and im unable to get online its going from full green bar to orange in less than 3 hours even without any use, can anyone please advise me ?? magz

11. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    @magz

Has it ever connected successfully to your home wifi connection? If so the settings on your phone and/or router may have changed, or your router may just need resetting.

This might be why your battery is draining so quickly, as it's constantly trying to connect to your wifi. Does it run down as quickly when it's not connected to wifi, or connected but not in use?

Tags: