1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery flattening, diidn't used to

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by e_canuck, Jan 19, 2014.

1. e_canuck

e_canuck Member

My year old Nexus 4 battery is depleting much more quickly than before; I'm on Kitkat and I installed the OK Google APK from a link I found somewhere but I haven't been using that feature--just voice command by touching the mic icon-- don't know if that's a suspect. The battery usage attributes most of battery use to display, same as always. I keep the brightness moderate, screen blank as soon as I'm not using it. Is there a way to uninstall this APK?

We have been on a new carrier with an unlimited data plan but I didn't see battery depletion as soon as we signed on just before Christmas--don't know if that could be involved, as well.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this like backup settings--just tried to disable auto backup.
    :thinking:

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Since most of your battery usage is screen, it's not the new app or the new carrier.

I suspect that you didn't condition th battery when it was new, it was sitting on the shelf for a long time before you got it and now it's at the end of its life. If's a bit short, but mistreated batteries don't last that long.

When you get the next battery, condition it properly and charge it when it gets down to about 50%.

3. ph37rd

ph37rd Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2012
    Central OH
    Whether or not you say "OK Google" it is running because it has to listen for you. It's immaterial if you actually say the phrase or not.

Your change in carrier can make a difference because of tower locations and signal strength. The weaker the signal, the more power is drawn by the phone to keep the signal.

4. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK
    I'd say its to do with the OK Google APK you installed. With this active the phone will be constantly listening for you to say OK Google, which will use power. This can be turned off in the settings of Google Now.

Changing carriers can affect battery, for good & bad. This will depend on your signal strength, the lower the signal strength the more the phone has to work to find a good connection.

You can see how good the signal strength is in your battery settings. When you click on the battery graph, there's long bar with 'Mobile network signal' just above it. When its green you have a strong connection. Yellow(ish) is average & red is no connection.

5. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    Of course :)

If it appears in the app drawer just long-press on it and slide to "App info" at the top of the screen, or failing that go into Settings -> Apps and find the app you want to uninstall and tap on it. Either way, then tap the "UNINSTALL" button.

I don't know the name of the particular APK you installed - it won't necessarily be the same as the name of the .apk file - but it shouldn't be hard to find. In the Settings/Apps lists look in the "RUNNING" list first (it's the shortest!) or failing that the "DOWNLOADED" or if necessary the long "ALL" list.

PS: I also would suspect this app to be the offending battery-eater.

Tags: