1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Battery gets so hot, I hurt my hand this morning, what's going on?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by neilthecellist, May 15, 2011.

1. neilthecellist

This morning, I woke up and found my phone sitting on my dresser (still connected to the wall charger) at 100%, but when I touched it, it was so hot I had to drop the phone and nurse my hand. Also, the LED light that is next to the speaker is blinking from orange to green repeatedly.

What the hell happened to my phone? Everything works fine otherwise. I don't run any passive apps on my phone besides what is currently built in. So even though I have Facebook on here, I have disabled its refresh intervals. I also disabled Twitter's refresh intervals. Display was off the whole night it was charging. As far as I know, I did everything possible to keep the battery down while not resorting to Airplane Mode or turning the phone off.

So what happened, people?

EDIT: Just checked my phone after having it unplugged from the charger for only 40 minutes. It was at 100% power when I unplugged it, now it's shut off completely at 0%. What the hell?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jonnixdude

jonnixdude Lurker

The same thing is going on with my EVO. I literally have to charge my batteries with an external battery charger and then swap them out in my EVO, otherwise the EVO (plugged in) will overheat and stop charging (That's what the flashing green and orange light means).

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Also, I can throw a fully charged battery in the phone and leave it off. It will still get hot and the battery will die within a few hours ( OFF! ).

Most likely a short right?

Edit: I took it into the sprint store today, they checked the battery and it was fine, then they checked the phone and said that they changed some settings and it should be good. Of course an hour after that, my phone got hot and died.... back to sprint!

3. neilthecellist

I think I'll take my phone into the Sprint store too. This is happening AGAIN today.

As my phone approached 37% power remaining, the phone suddenly overheated again and quickly approached 0% within 1 minute (READ: sixty SECONDS). I literally saw the % drop from the Battery Widget in real-time.

If the phone really is this shitty, I'm gonna return it. Seriously, I can't even put my phone in my pocket anymore because it overheats just sitting on my desk in a cool 68 degree (F) environment.

4. neilthecellist

I already bought replacement batteries through Amazon.com for a discounted price. As soon as it comes in today, I'll give it a shot and see if they're any improvements.

HTC EVO Shift 4G Forum

The HTC EVO Shift 4G release date was January 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

January 2011
Release Date
Reviews