• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery - how quickly does your battery drop? .. what can we do?

InGearX

Android Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2011
Please share your shcreenshot - for the community - one picture is worth a thousand words :) (And scrool up a bit when taking it - like mine to see top apps takimg up resources ..)

and for your own now vs future benchmark
Charge it to 100% then restart it and keep the device screen on brightest for 1 hour and take a screenshot to see how quickly it drops
Or what is industry standard test we can do

I have a brand new Tab S2 8" from official Samsung store and am concerned .. it drops much faster then my Tab A 8" :/

Maybe i should fully discharge and charge it 2 times .. but i hear that was in 90s or 2000s .. not anymore ..

Please advise ..

Screenshot_2016-04-21-11-42-03.png

I'm not sure of the validity of your test. On my nine month old Tab S2 I have several hundred apps some of which will be activated. You may have a different app set with a different number activated. If I'm wrong please accept my apologies.

My previous tablet was a Note 10.1. My Tab S2 is far superior in every way including battery life. I've just quickly checked my battery details. As it just so happens it has been "1 hr 0m 4s on battery" and its at 98% full with 42 hours 14 minutes anticipated availability.

:)

Upvote 0
Here is what I notice. Screen on, yes, this device loses battery fairly quickly. I have not done any testing, but others have and I would agree that we probably get maybe 5-7 hours screen on time with this thing before the battery drains. Where it seems to excel is in the periods in between, when the device is idle. I think the exynos processor is just a master of idle efficiency based on the research I have put in with google on this thing. I will attach my own usage last night just before I went to bed, and take a look.. It went all night and maybe lost 1, maybe 2 percent on idle. Just awesome.

Now, that said, I tend to have problems when my SD card is mounted which is incredibly frustrating. It does not always happen, but 1-2 times a week when sd card is left mounted, media server will just gobble up the juice, and my batter will drop like 40% per hour while idle. I've tried all the solutions I can find on the subject, but nothing seems to work. Other than that though, I love this device and how efficient it is when not in use. I also probably have 50 apps installed on my tablet.

b16b827dc064978e599eb9bda832d153.jpg

Upvote 0
I performed your battery drain test on my Tab S2 over the weekend. Sorry, no screenshot. After one hour on full brightness, my tab drained to 77% doing mostly reading and occasional light browsing. Total drain time with the same usage was 3:45 (last time I got 4:30), after which it shut down with 12% remaining (it usually drops at least to 4%).

However, I normally use auto-brightness and get a few days (at least 6-9 hours total) of reading, browsing, and typing with my bluetooth keyboard on a single charge. And charging while powered on and using can take anywhere from 3.5-6 hours, on the auto-brightness setting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones