• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Improvement with custom ROM?

ktalley

Dec 5, 2012
Since VM has this phone on sale for $19.99, I was considering getting one (or two) for media/MP3 players (ONLY). However, the battery life has me a bit concerned. Obviously, I would have GPS, data, and (usually) WiFi turned off. Would this phone be suitable in this scenario? I'm curious as to whether running a custom ROM (i.e. Harmonia 2) improves the battery life at all (I currently run that on my Optimus V and get great battery life).

Thanks in advance!

What kind of battery life are you looking for?

I have a second Venture that I use unactivated mainly to play Slacker. I haven't bothered worrying about power management and I have auto-dim / auto-off disabled, so the screen stays full brightness until I turn it off. I generally use it for an hour at a time but sometimes go a few hours and have plenty of battery left.

For just playing audio with the screen off and wifi/etc disabled you should get decent battery life, even with stock ROM.

Reactions: ktalley
Upvote 0
keep in mind, even with the custom rom, the battery life is short if u do a lot of web stuff. there is definitely an increase in battery life from the custom rom tho. i recommend the ics themed rom by curtis for the time being. him and i did deeper testing with that one, and we removed a lot of unnecessary apps which gave even better battery life, and dramatically increased the internal storage available. i am also in the process of developing a rom that will include some battery tweaks to further the life longer as well. for 19.99, u cant go wrong for a new phone that can be rooted and developed on! i paid 40 for mine, and i was so happy with it that i bought my gf one, and also bought a spare JUST for development and testing! overall, great phone. order a spare battery for a few bux if u r concerned. its still worth it at the price! ;-)

Reactions: ktalley
Upvote 0
night time mode to red
dim the screen
data, wifi, sync, off
setCPU - under-volt , power saver

that should help save the battery life on the phone

if you a person who surfs the web and uses the phone none stop u should get around an hour or hour half
if you just let your phone be i think it should last 1 day

I usually have sync, data on but wifi off
no dim screen, do profiles in setCPU.
night time mode = green
my phone usually last through the entire school day

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones