• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery in 4.0.4

Just got my update (Rogers) and I've noticed the hyper battery drain. I've gone from 85% to 77% in only 30mins, which is unusual. I usually start the day fully charged (about 95%) and end the day around 70%-ish.

I notice when I go into Settings > Battery, it shows "Media" at the top of the list using 33%. I have no idea what that is. There are no media apps running in the BG. Interestingly, right after the update this "Media" process was using 51%, and has been slowly going down.

I have NOT done a reset yet. That would be my last resort.

I thought the whole reason they put the update on hold was because of the battery drain issue!

Upvote 0
Just got my update (Rogers) and I've noticed the hyper battery drain. I've gone from 85% to 77% in only 30mins, which is unusual. I usually start the day fully charged (about 95%) and end the day around 70%-ish.

I notice when I go into Settings > Battery, it shows "Media" at the top of the list using 33%. I have no idea what that is. There are no media apps running in the BG. Interestingly, right after the update this "Media" process was using 51%, and has been slowly going down.

I have NOT done a reset yet. That would be my last resort.

I thought the whole reason they put the update on hold was because of the battery drain issue!

Have you tried rebooting? The first time I booted up my phone after updating to 4.0.4, apps wouldn't autorotate into landscape mode. Simply rebooting fixed that.

Upvote 0
Well on mine the battery (android os/system) bug seems to be fixed... for the most parts. and i can easily squeeze out 24 hours+ of it before i will even consider recharging it. However at times system or OS will run amok and, will use more than 50% over a single night, with system being the culprit at around 56% battery usage, and the activity meter being one big solid bar, when it should only be some scattered bars. Issue is usually solved from a reboot. I have reset the phone a couple of times by now, but it still persists.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I've listed out my experience so far and the tweaks I've used below. It has really just been trial and error and picking up on what others have posted in various threads. My plan is to get some more data behind this by gradually turned things back on. Btw this is from disconnecting the AC charger through to the 4% remaining stage.

When I first went from 2.3.6 to 4.0.3 I was lucky to get 9 hours from a full charge, when I went to 4.0.4 I would get to about 11 hours. I've managed to get to 14 hours or so in the following way:-

- turning off the notifications I don't really need (I think Facebook is a primary offender here but not gathered the data yet).
- moved from push to 30min sync on hotmail
- disabling auto screen rotate
- don't use a live wallpaper
- restart my phone at the beginning of the charging cycle
- set 'Keep WiFi on during sleep' to Never
- turn off WiFi during the day when I know I'm not going to be using it.

My general usage profile is as follows:-
- Charge using ACfrom 11pm to 7am
- from 7:30am to around 6:30pm I'm on 3G with mediocre reception
- from 6:30pm onwards back onto WiFi
- use Good for Enterprise for my business email and that seems to behave well
- make around 10-15 calls each day

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/68203387/1/ics%20battery?h=747b9d

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I guess to draw the line under this discussion I found that during a recent trip to Australia my battery life jumped to 24+hours. The only thing I changed was the SIM and hence 3G network. Back to China now and I'm back to eeking out 14 hours or so.
I noticed in an earlier post of yours that the cell signal strength is "mediocre". I've seen the same thing with battery life, if the signal is weak, then my battery drops rather quickly. I guess the phone struggles with weak signals and tries too hard to maintain a connection to the network, which is sucking the battery dry.

I now have Jelly Bean v4.1.1 installed but I haven't had a chance to check signal strength and battery drain yet. I'll report later once I get a chance to be in a weak area.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I've listed out my experience so far and the tweaks I've used below. It has really just been trial and error and picking up on what others have posted in various threads. My plan is to get some more data behind this by gradually turned things back on. Btw this is from disconnecting the AC charger through to the 4% remaining stage.

When I first went from 2.3.6 to 4.0.3 I was lucky to get 9 hours from a full charge, when I went to 4.0.4 I would get to about 11 hours. I've managed to get to 14 hours or so in the following way:-

- turning off the notifications I don't really need (I think Facebook is a primary offender here but not gathered the data yet).
- moved from push to 30min sync on hotmail
- disabling auto screen rotate
- don't use a live wallpaper
- restart my phone at the beginning of the charging cycle
- set 'Keep WiFi on during sleep' to Never
- turn off WiFi during the day when I know I'm not going to be using it.

My general usage profile is as follows:-
- Charge using ACfrom 11pm to 7am
- from 7:30am to around 6:30pm I'm on 3G with mediocre reception
- from 6:30pm onwards back onto WiFi
- use Good for Enterprise for my business email and that seems to behave well
- make around 10-15 calls each day

end of Quote

this is ridiculous, I had a nexus S for a year happy till the frigging update, did a factory reset with all the pain that comes with it, android system at 70% huge battery drain, disabled everyhting might as well get my motorola startac phone out of the garage...

thanks for all suggestions but Google should try to fix this issue in the next release

Upvote 0
I have the same apps (in terms of google's and streaming ones like google music/spotify/beyondpod installed on both my Nexus and Nexus7. The "Media" app in battery usage is 50%+ on the Nexus and only 2% on the Nexus7. Has anybody else experienced this? Battery life on my phone has dropped through the floor since jelly bean.
It seems after the update or a factory reset, that Media can be high on battery use for a while, especially if you use Google's backup services. This service is restoring all your old settings, apps, media, etc. so it's busy for a while getting your phone set back up the way it was. After a day or so, Media should slowly drop way down the list, or even fall off the list completely (I haven't seen Media on my list since the first week I installed JB).

Another battery issue still being reported is Exchange - the bug where it eats battery life may be fixed but another issue persists when updating where the account is constantly trying refresh. A factory reset seems to help or deleting the Exchange account and setting it up again in Jelly Bean seems to work too. I don't use Exchange so I can't confirm this.

Reactions: gandhimaster
Upvote 0
so, theory should be for me to stop resetting the phone etc and give it a week or so? I'll give that a whirl! Thank you.
Yup...you should see Media dropping after the first 12 hours or so, depending how much you have stored with backup. If you have a large amount of stuff to restore, then it may take a day or two to settle down. And you should also let it use WiFi as it will eat into your data allotment for the month (unless you have unlimited).

Upvote 0
update... i ended up doing one final restore. This time from the recovery menu rather than settings. So far, mediaserver has behaved normally. I'd left it on charge and it was still running 12 hours later!

Anyhow, the only app ive done differently so far is esfile exlorer. I normally add google drive/dropbox etc to its net folder. Maybe that was it? Altho its instlled that way on my nexus7 without causing mediaserver to go mental. Ive removed that app now anyway to be sure. /thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
update - been testing various things, and the latest thing that i found was by deleting the data/uninstalling "Pocket" app and rebooting the media service only ran for a minute and then stopped. Pocket's data was 700mb+ and the last time i was deleting data etc i had cleared that too.

I didnt link this app to the behaviour but it does make sense considering Pocket contains music and video etc ive saved for offline reading later. At one point, i'd had the app setup so that it would not automatically download content, and during that time the mediascanner behaved normally. I'm guessing this means that once all that data had been scanned, it would work ok but it had ran for 12+ hours when Pocket had 700mb+.

Sorry for the rant, i hope this helps some people. Assuming it is what i think it is!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones