1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

BATTERY IN THE COLD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by agpthng, Mar 1, 2019.

1. agpthng

agpthng Member

My husband has the Google Pixel XL 3 in a case and holster which he keeps in his Playmate Igloo cooler most of the time while at work. The battery drains from just being in there due to the ice pack. Is there any work around to this, a different case?

TYIA

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I doubt it. Icepack cold is not a batteries friend.

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

A safer place to keep the phone would be on him or in his coat

4. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Holsters should be on belts @agpthng. Outside the cooler.

Dannydet likes this.
  5. agpthng

agpthng Member

It's not possible for him to wear it on him during the day as he is a truck driver for a waste management company and constantly in and out of the truck. I didn't know if there are cases out there that insulate against the cold.

6. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Extreme cold is no batteries friend. We have to use digi cams in -0 down to -18 and I am forever telling people to take the battery out when the full battery dies after 20 mins and warm it up in their pocket.. it never sinks in, they just return stating "the battery dead!!"

Dannydet likes this.
  7. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Not yet but it sounds easy.
    I don't think there is a profitable market for it. What kind of work does he do?

8. agpthng

agpthng Member

He drives for Waste Management - tractor trailer size truck - servicing companies and their waste removal.

9. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I recommend a larger holster and a wraparound case for the phone. Layers.

10. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Another factor could be the signal while in cooler. If it blocks the signal, then the phone is struggling trying to reconnect to towers the entire time it is in there, also draining the battery. Have him experiment with airplane mode while in there, see if that helps any.

But in the long run, this will seriously degrade his battery. Will be lucky to get a year (if that) out of it before it is total garbage.

Hadron and Unforgiven like this.
  11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

^^^that's my thought. You may be overworking the radios in concert with the adverse affects of the cold. Maybe go for a softsided cooler with and external pocket.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  12. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Keeping his phone iced up all day is not only shortening the battery's overall life but it's also shortening the overall life of the phone itself, especially if he's using it periodically throughout the day. Condensation is going to be inevitable when there will be repeated extreme temperature changes (ice cold to room temps to ice cold to room temps, etc.). Water, even trace amounts, freezing/thawing is never good for the electronic components inside.

A belt holster should work out better, there are plenty of options too. Something like this one is more exposed:
    https://www.supcase.com/google-pixel-3-xl-unicorn-beetle-pro-rugged-case-with-holster
    or there are belt-clipped pouches:
    https://www.amazon.com/AGOZ-OTTERBO...XL+3+holster&qid=1551456107&s=gateway&sr=8-12

Dannydet likes this.
  13. today

today Android Expert

SIG NAL.

14. agpthng

agpthng Member

Thanks for the input. His previous phone was a Droid Turbo 2 and he got 3 years out of it with the last year being a struggle with the battery.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  15. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Is there really nowhere else he can keep it except in the cooler? Because that's the obvious solution, keep it somewhere, anywhere, else.

Google Pixel 3 & 3XL Forum

The Google Pixel 3 & 3XL release date was November 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch or 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3430mAh or 2915mAh battery.

November 2018
Release Date
Reviews