• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery input needed please.

treven21

Mar 9, 2011
Okay guys I may be making the switch to this phone from my EVO 3D.......my only concern is battery life. My EVO as of right now with not a lot of use is 55 hours with minimal use. I still have 17% charge left. Which is just amazing. I'm not talking standby. Just minimal use. I use it throughout the day just not constantly.

Can someone give some input as to how the battery has been? I'd say typical\average battery life for me would be around 12-18 hours with moderate to heavy use on my EVO 3D.

Thank you for your input!

It's too early to be able to give numbers, but you'll easily get a full day out of it. I got 12 hours of heavy usage out of it and still had 20% or more when I plugged it in. I used GPS navigation, lots of 3G downloading and browsing, some short phone calls, 3D graphics intensive gaming, and hours of general use. The screen was on most of that time.

Reactions: treven21
Upvote 0
...my only concern is battery life...
... I'd say typical\average battery life for me would be around 12-18 hours with moderate to heavy use on my EVO 3D....

Battery usage depends on a lot of thing, some you can't control (like your strength phone signal or your wifi).
You can try to look at your

- sync policy (Settings->Accounts and sync), ratio of updating in your apps (fb, mail, ...).

- locations and security (gps, wifi)
Many apps try to find your location based on wifi or gps.

- check which apps you have installed.
Free app usually have ads in them and downloading banners uses internet and without wifi, it needs to rebuild connection everytime it downloads new banner.

Upvote 0
Well my first cycle (charge) while it wasn't for 8-10 hours. I unplugged once it charge to 100%. I got 15 hours. I just did another full charge to 100% and left it plugged in for about an hour afterwards. I know it probably doesn't matter. I'll report back with those results as soon as I know. I'm back to work tomorrow so it'll be a good gauge.

Upvote 0
I get 3 and 1/2 hours streaming video til dead. That's about 1/2 and hour better than my old EVO 4G. The Photon got it beat gets about 4 hours.

May get better with time but unfortunately my unit overheats a lot. May need to do an exchange.

I feel as though there is a bit more heat at times coming from mine as well, and the battery does seem a bit weaker than I expected.

Upvote 0
Why dont we all do a test?

Charge phone at 100%, disconnect charger, open Pandora, play a station until you are st 2% and lets say how long it takes. With the EVO i used Pandora for an hour and it was already at 60% remaining

I do weekly fishing on boat and just stream sports til the phone goes dead. As such my battery test should be fairly consistent. No one day I use more internet or make more calls than the next day (or next charge). The above post is what I observe to be the battery life (under extreme usage).

One note is that the Photon are Epic Touch are both recent summer release. As such I was testing/using it during warm summer days in the river. I am pretty sure the battery life would be better when I fish during cooler months ahead.

Upvote 0
Okay just wanted to post back here after a few work days. I'm averaging about 19-25 hours of light\moderate usage. This is with a full charge when going to bed. I ran it to 0%.

As of right now I am at 19 hours with 24% left. So you can see it varies depending on how much I've been using my phone. I have to say that EVO3D at this point was getting better battery life but it wasn't as great of a screen quality as the SII. Also 19+ hours is nothing to be sad about. I'm very pleased and have no complaints. See my screen shots below for comparison. I included one of my old EVO3D as well.

CG9Iy.png

F1hBr.png

B7UBZ.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones