• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery issue driving me crazy!

steelersmb

Android Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2010
I know this has been posted a million times but I just charged my phone to 100% at work, as soon as it turned green at 100%, I removed it from the charger. After 2 minutes of use, the battery now says 82%! I have tried every batter trick known to man and nothing works. This morning I was at 100% and by 11:30 AM I was down to about 40%. This is ridiculous.

I know this has been posted a million times but I just charged my phone to 100% at work, as soon as it turned green at 100%, I removed it from the charger. After 2 minutes of use, the battery now says 82%! I have tried every batter trick known to man and nothing works. This morning I was at 100% and by 11:30 AM I was down to about 40%. This is ridiculous.

What did you use the phone for from when you took it off the charger until 11:30am?

Upvote 0
Well, after it turned green at 100% and dropped to 82%, I put it back on the charger and now it's been charging again so far for at least 10-15 minutes so something is wrong. I don't know if it's the battery or something else but it isn't getting a full charge initially. Yes, I read the posts about charging it overnight and the battery actually draining but I was keeping an eye on the phone and within 3-5 minutes of it turning green, I unplugged it.

Upvote 0
Are you charging it with a wall plug or the USB to your computer? I found right away that the phone charged MUCH faster with the wall plug. And, seemed to charge completely without these crazy dips.
Heard somewhat the opposite.

USB is slower but it charges it more. It will dip a little bit, plug back in and fully charge it again and it stays in the 90s for hours.

Upvote 0
I've only had my phone a couple of days so don't have a lot of data to draw from on how it responds. At first I had it hooked to the USB and it seemed to take a very long time to charge up. When I went to bed I had it plugged into the wall outlet then this morning I unplugged, then replugged, unplugged, replugged (to do the amber/green light waltz) to see how close it was to an actual 100% charge. The longest time from amber back to green was 3-4 minutes. After about 5 times of doing this the battery definitely appeared to be 100% charged (instead of a 'ghost' 100%).

I've had it unplugged for just over 4 hours and have 84% battery left after a fair amount of active screen time, 4 phone calls, a couple of texts.

Upvote 0
Turn off "Background Data" in the "Accounts and Sync" menu in Settings.

I wanted to take a screenshot of my battery life but the phone has to be rooted to do this, so alas, I can only say from yesterday to today I went 23 hours on one charge with moderate to heavy use.

What does turning off the Background Data affect? What services, in other words, rely on that and won't function properly if turned off? (if any)

Upvote 0
I have seen much better battery life since installing Launcher Pro and using that as my default launcher.

Anyone interested, just download it from the market. Then dowload home chooser and pick launcher pro to be your default. You can also switch back to Sense if you are not happy with the home switcher.

Would love to hear how others feel their battery life is with is.....

I also like the way launcher pro looks and there is pretty much 3rd party widgets that do a fine job matching the sense widgets. I see no reason to go back to sense.......

Upvote 0
Well, after it turned green at 100% and dropped to 82%, I put it back on the charger and now it's been charging again so far for at least 10-15 minutes so something is wrong. I don't know if it's the battery or something else but it isn't getting a full charge initially. Yes, I read the posts about charging it overnight and the battery actually draining but I was keeping an eye on the phone and within 3-5 minutes of it turning green, I unplugged it.

To me it sounds more like a bad battery or you phone just is not accurately reading the battery or you phone is not sleeping. First thing to do is turn your phone off and charge until it turns green. then unplug and turn the phone on. When it finally comes up go to Menu then Settings then About then Battery and then just turn the screen off. let it sit for about 20 minutes and then turn it on and look at your Up Time and Awake Time... if they are the same then an App is constantly running and eating your battery in which case a Hard Reset is the quickest fix. If Up Time and Awake Time no where near each other than the problem is probably elsewhere like bad battery.

Upvote 0
What does turning off the Background Data affect? What services, in other words, rely on that and won't function properly if turned off? (if any)

My GMail and GVoice don't push automatically. I have to refresh these myself. Same goes with Facebook and Weather. Market won't search for updates automatically (you have to turn on background data to even use Market). Not sure whether my mail is affected but either way I set it to pull mail every 4 hours automatically. If I want to check that more frequently than that, I do it manually. I really don't think anything else is really affected (don't use the News or Stock apps so don't know how these are affected).

My battery life has grown exponentially since turning off this feature. I will continue to leave it unchecked as a result.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: Right at 7 hours since unplugging and i'm at 80% battery still. The settings changes i've made and installing ATK has made the battery life more than adequate. All I want is a full day's normal use.

When I start playing games, watching videos, hitting the social networks, etc. i'd expect my battery life to shorten. Based upon my use with the iPod Touch, if I only listen to music then no problem. Watch a movie? Half the battery is gone. Go to YouTube for an hour? The other half is gone.

ANY TIME you have the screen activated you will be using maximum juice on any device. As a phone, based upon my current battery stats, i'd easily get 24 hours of 'standby' time. As a multi-media device it would probably be 4 or less of constant use. That's expected.

Also, if I was using the nav system in my car i'd have the power plugged in. Everyone knows GPS systems drain quickly.

Upvote 0
I appreciate everyone's input as I have already tried most of these suggestions. I might try to turn off background data and see if that helps. I do have System Panel installed but is it best to turn on monitoring? How do you tell which apps are using resources?

I am leaving town for a week tomorrow so I will continue to play around with it but I will be out of the country so I will have the phone turned off most of the time so it won't be a good test.

Thanks again to everyone's input.

Upvote 0
I've done that as well, but if you turn off background data, then it looks like that also turns sync off for everything which sucks because I use Touchdown and that syncs to my contacts. I have everything else turned off.

Does anyone use Screebl? I was using it but disabled it. Going to see if that makes any difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones