• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Issue Galaxy S2

Well i charged my replacement GS2 for the first time yesterday. I checked with Samsung on the phone and they said the correct advice is to let it drain fully from whatever charge you get 'out of the box' and then charge for a full 8 hours. They also said subsequent charges should be no more than 2 hours (or thereabouts).

I did this and charged it for exactly 8 hours taking the phone off charge at 20.50 last night. I used it a little, downloaded a couple of apps (ring tones, hootsuite) and sent a few texts. Left it on overnight and sent a few more texts this morning. I also browsed the web for a ocuple of mins. Its 16.10 now and i have about a third of battery power left (after approx 19 hours). I guess thats not bad although i noticed on my first GS2 that once you get passed a third, it can drop off very quickly....

Its worth noting that
1) Most of the 19 hours (at least 10) of battery have been on standby (switched on but not used)
2) There was a big drop off after i updated my twitter feed a couple of times this morning
3) It seems like although its lasted 19 hours the little use its had has drained it quite quickly
4) the original 'out of the box charge' seemed to last better 13.00 sunday to 12.00 Monday. 23 hours inc overnight, but from only roughly 50% to 60% charged.

When i spoke to Samsung they said it should improve over the first week. I hope it does as i still dont feel im using it much and its draining very quickly when i do.

Upvote 0
I had the major battery drain ever since I got my SG2 about a week ago. I was getting about 8 hours of moderate use and was getting very frustrated because the battery would not even get me through a day of work. I noticed my cpu getting very hot and the "suspend" and "event/0" process constantly eating up a lot of my cpu power. I would get alerts from watchdog of these process constantly going up to about 50 and 60%.

I've tried everything and finally after searching through all these forums and trying so many different things I think either I did something to fix my device or by some miracle it fixed itself. I was almost about to give up when I tried a few more things last night as a last resort before doing a factory reset. I am now going on almost 7 hours battery and still have about 70% battery left.

I first did a firmware update through the KIES pc software that I downloaded from the samsung website.

I was still having the same problems after that.

I tried rooting, same problem still.

Last night I decided to turn Power Saving Mode on and set it at 50% battery power. Turn off WiFi, GPS, Sync, and Bluetooth when not in use or syncing with the server, and screen timeout at 15 seconds. I keep the box checked for auto syncing with my google account in the Accounts and Sync menu under settings. I have not done anything else different and miraculously I am no longer getting the watchdog warnings for the "suspend" or "event/0" processes and they arent using nearly as much CPU power, and my battery is lasting just over twice as long as before and no longer gets hot.

I hope this helps somewhat as I know how frustrating the battery problem can be. Any questions I will do what I can to help out.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Found solution to battery drain..at least for me this worked.

Originally the battery lasted what it should 1 - 2 days with moderate use. Then suddenly it started eating charge like crazy.. and it started getting hot too so I knew something had happened.

Long story.. but the the best candidate for major battery drain is..

1. Auto sync.
Especially social hub. Trouble started after I started using it. It seems that it keeps syncing all the time or something. I found this out when the phone was next to speakers and I heard it kept sending/receiving almost all the time.

I couldn't find how to schedule syncing for social hub so I deleted my google talk and gmail profiles from there. I use now the dedicated gmail and google talk apps with manual sync and battery is lasting as it should.

Other tips: Of course wifi,gps, bluetooth off, those are given. But also all widgets which use cpu cycles often or sync data all the time.

I'm now experimenting differeng options to improve battery life even more. So far the best thing you can do (after you have done all the above) is to switch to 2g when ever possible. 3g uses a lot more juice when in standby. Sadly there are no widgets which can switch from 3g->2g in one click (at leat not in android 2.3.)

Oh and system panel lite is a free app which shows you cpu cycles so you can see what is using your processing power the most.

-Pete

Upvote 0
I need to contasntly keep my phone on charge. The worst is at night. Over a period of 5-6 hours for the past 4 nights the charge drops by 50%. Of course I am not using the phone at all, yet the battery just drains. I usually bring it to work when the charge is at about 10% (after dropping by 50%) and let it charge virtually all day. It’s basically a desktop now!

Upvote 0
On standby mine only seems to drain around or slightly more than 1% per hour - wifi on, not rooted, KE2 firmware, JuiceDefender app installed (though I haven't really been able to track if the last one has made any noticeable difference to battery life. It does seem to have prevented wi-fi sharing showing up as a major battery hog though, perhaps because it disables wi-fi when I'm out of the house, which oddly enough seemed to be when wi-fi sharing used to sometimes kick in).

Actively using the phone however obviously takes its toll, depending on what I'm doing. On average during these first two weeks I've had the phone, I think I've drained the battery down to roughly 30-40% left each day. Not wanting to risk suddenly finding myself with a dead battery when I'm out of the house, I make sure to charge it once a day.

Upvote 0
my battery life sucked, mate at work is going for 2 days on KE7, im on KF2 but the wifes phone still did better (close to 1 days usage, mine was like 10-15hrs).

cut a long story short,i thought i'd do the right thing before flashing the firmware or anything and took it to a samsung store. techie had a quick look and said it was drawing a higher voltage than normal, so its in the shop for the next couple of days. soon see....

Upvote 0
i think the issue is stopwatch

i notice couple of times now that when i use stop watch batter gets eaten up very very fast and two days ago i left it running for 1hour and batter was down to almost nothing (was about 60% when i started)
screen was off during that time other then me checking time couple of times.
also phone gets VERY hot

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

Just an update, The Kies software has been updated a couple of days back and the Firmware on the GS2 also has a new version XWKF3 from the earlier KE3.

Have update this yesterday and looks like the the battery issue is taken care of. After a full charge, my battery has lost only 10% in 6 hrs use of light and moderate use

Definitely a big jump.

Upvote 0
I charge my phone in the evening (from 5pm, say) and i'd HAVE to charge it at the same time next day, and I don't consider myself a heavy user.

Has anyone else noticed that charging the phone via the PC cable doesn't charge the phone very quickly?

The other day my phone died while it was charging on the PC!
I too found my phone dead after charging from PC usb with a warning symbol on battery icon then would only charge since plugging into wall charger. Its like it drains quicker than charging. The last activity was an update, and then watchdog lite kept reporting 3G watchdog was using around 47% CPU so I increased the threshold warnig to 50%. I dont want to uninstall 3G watchdog but if it keeps using so much resources, I might have to find an alternative. Actually watchdog lite has given me problems before after updating, but then it sorts itself out eventually.
Hmmmmm, something stinks here.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if I gaff. I have had my S2 now since about June and coming from an iPhone to the S2 has been a breath of fresh air and a revelation into what i have been missing.

Back to the battery life. I have been able to get about 2 days worth of use out of my phone. I only use one widget which is the time and date clock. I did nearly get 2 and half days once. Is is it safe to let the phone shut off from lack of power before charging it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones