1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blakethomas, Jun 9, 2011.

1. blakethomas

blakethomas Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    A few days ago completely out of the blue I started having really poor battery life. Before, I could charge it overnight and use it well into the afternoon before it got into the yellow, but the last several days it has been completely dead before lunchtime.

I noticed in my battery information that the up time and awake time are the same. From reading other threads I know that this isn't good, so I pulled the battery for about 5 minutes and restarted. No change, awake time and up time still the same.

I called Sprint and they were zero help, they told me to take it to a repair center. I've dealt with the repair center in my town before, and while they are very nice and WANT to help, they just don't have the technical expertise to figure this stuff out.

So I turn to you, kind forum users. What could be keeping my phone awake?

Advertisement

2. blakethomas

blakethomas Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I suppose I should also mention that my phone is not rooted and I did install the gingerbread update.

3. blakethomas

blakethomas Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Bumping this to hopefully get some help from the Friday crowd. You're my only hope... Please don't make me take my phone to the repair center.

4. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Use System Panel, Watchdog or Spare parts to pinpoint which app is killing your battery. Up Time and Awake time should be pretty far apart, for example mine is 8:27 to :43 right now.

Check the last 4-5 apps you have downloded recently and uninstall them and see how that goes.

5. Halfbaked

None

Jun 8, 2011
    You neef to check all of your apps and their respective send/receive data schedules. If that checks out then I would uninstall all your apps from the market and reboot. See what happens. If problem is resolved then install apps again and you know its an app you downloaded causing the problem.

If it doesn't work do a factory reset. If that doesnt work then test out a new battery.

6. blakethomas

blakethomas Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. I had already uninstalled the last several apps I'd added and I was still having the problem. The really weird thing was that the battery settings screen was showing my display as far and away the biggest thing using the battery, even when the phone had been sitting on my desk with the screen off for hours.

The fact that something is obviously keeping my phone awake and the battery status screen wasn't showing it made me think there was something bad wrong, so I went ahead and did the factory update this morning. Early results are positive; Up time is 54 minutes, Awake time is 16. Hopefully this was all I needed and I won't have to leave my phone at the repair center again..

7. Halfbaked

None

Jun 8, 2011
    Factory update or factory reset?

8. JayR21

JayR21 Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    i had a similer problem with my phone this morning through out the day. phone charged all night long from a died batt from that day. and at 3oclock today i looked at my phone for the first time to see it died again. now this is normal due to cell service. but when i looked at the batt use i saw that graff and it showed that in one hour my batt whet from 90% down to 45% and then it was awake ever since. No GPS, no Wifi no 4G. and cant see any app that was keeping my phone awake but not in use.

also up time is at 18:30 now
    awake time is at 10:00 now

Tags: