• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Issues on Latest Update

still no improvement in battery life since WL was disabled. I bought the photon because of the battery life. The battery was awesome prior to update. Turned my phone on 1h 21 min ago and circle battery says 13% down already!! When will motorola come out with downgrade to previous update or maybe new patch to fix bug in the last update???

I assume you rebooted after disabling WL? You may have some other app that is causing drain like GetJar. Try disabling/uninstalling other apps to see if you experience any changes.

Upvote 0
Here is something for you on a battery pull....

Did one today (1st since update) but it back in loaded it up....signal and 3g ARE JACKED UP!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I get full bars up stairs and for sure outside, i had 1.....:mad::mad::mad: for a long while to, did a speed test 100kb :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did a prl update and profile.....drove around for a while, had work and what not....

well right now at the desk i am back to full bars oh well still 120kb:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

hummmmmmmmm wonder what the crap is going on around here :thinking::thinking::thinking:

anyway, as much as sprint has been ok for me, i may be done...the local store is having huge turnover I dont know anyone there, and when i stopped in today to say hey and look around again....had to pee and they treated me like a criminal for wanting to go into the back to pee (which i have done TONS) Point is I been with them 10 yrs had a great relationship with the store personal, and now its gone to crap.....like when i was with tmobile/voicestream

And i am the kinda person that when i got 7 lines and 10 yrs, i want a little "extra" personal support.... not your gonna jack our stuff taking a leak :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Did you check if your settings reverted back to CDMA only or to dis-allow roaming? Sometimes, that happens.

Upvote 0
Battery pull is also known as a "soft reset." When you take the battery out for 60 seconds and then put it back in, it's supposed to help with any "cached" errors that might have been stored on the phone.

Thing is, I spoke to a Sprint rep one time and apparently, they also do something on their end whenever doing a "soft reset." I'm not exactly sure what that is, but wanted to mention in case a soft reset by the user doesn't help.
Odd terminology, if accurate.

In computing, a "hard reboot" is performed by killing the power, either through the power switch or power cord. A "soft reboot" is performed through software (restart windows or ctrl-alt-delete in the DOS days).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebooting_(computing)

Upvote 0
Odd terminology, if accurate.

In computing, a "hard reboot" is performed by killing the power, either through the power switch or power cord. A "soft reboot" is performed through software (restart windows or ctrl-alt-delete in the DOS days).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebooting_(computing)

Yeah, don't ask me where it came from because it's certainly not my phrasing. It's been the same since my Windows Mobile days.

Upvote 0
ok well the towers for 3g around my house suck......i am only getting around 100-150 kb around here.....and a sprint store is like 1.5 miles from my house (as the crow flies)

tested it in another area earlier tonight and it was at 500....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Did you do what drexappeal suggested and check what your 3G setting was on? Most people experience the best results on "Automatic," as opposed to "Any CDMA" or "Sprint Only."

Upvote 0
I've also noticed that my battery went from phenomenal to just okay, so I purchased BetterBatteryStats. I used to monitor stats on my old Hero and pre-Gingerbread EVO using Spare Parts; once Gingerbread came on the scene some of the battery stats were unavailable in Spare Parts.

So here is something interesting - I'm noticing high percentages of Partial Wakelocks with LightFlow Lite. I'm going to delete the app to determine if things improve, then I will report back.

Edit - Disabling Light Flow has made a big difference. I've notified the developer.

Upvote 0
All is good with my battery life since uninstalling widget locket. Got 32 hours from my last charge which is what I used to get before update.

Have tried a couple of free lockscreens since then, but none are as feature rich as WL and I really miss it.

Who was it that said developer was working on a fix? Any news on that? I'd really rather not have to purchase another app to get the features I'm used to from WL.

Upvote 0
Widgetlocker update is available now and Moto battery life issue is part of the fixes (even though I didn't have any issues). Nontheless, what I DO love is that they added the ICS locker! I like it much better than the Sense 3.0 one because it's not as big/intrusive. So I can have 1 theme unlocker for unlocking the screen and use ICS to have quick open for camera! I really love widgetlocker.

Upvote 0
I've begun having losing battery a lot more quickly in the past week. Up until about October 19, I could get through a 12-hour work day with 50% battery left.

Now, with the same usage, I'm seeing 50% left about 8 hours into the day. System settings haven't changed any - brightness, battery usage, network preferences, etc.

It wasn't a problem the first week or so after the update, I haven't installed any new apps, and I've never used WidgetLocker on this phone.

So, I figure maybe the battery is going bad, so ordered a new one from Seidio. Hopefully, that's all it is. I'll probably do a complete wipe/reinstall of the phone with the new battery.

Upvote 0
I've begun having losing battery a lot more quickly in the past week. Up until about October 19, I could get through a 12-hour work day with 50% battery left.

Now, with the same usage, I'm seeing 50% left about 8 hours into the day. System settings haven't changed any - brightness, battery usage, network preferences, etc.

It wasn't a problem the first week or so after the update, I haven't installed any new apps, and I've never used WidgetLocker on this phone.

So, I figure maybe the battery is going bad, so ordered a new one from Seidio. Hopefully, that's all it is. I'll probably do a complete wipe/reinstall of the phone with the new battery.

Two things:

1. Your phone and battery are still under warranty... If the battery is going bad, Sprint/Motorola will replace it. They might even let you keep yours if you ask really nicely :)

2. I think there's a problem with the current (198_6) build. If you're the adventurous type, you can install 198_7 from xda developers, which really improved my battery life. I started a thread about it a few days ago.

Upvote 0
Hi gang - just got the photon and love it except for battery life. I have similar issues, but have neither WidgetLock nor LightFlow installed. I did install Battery Solo Widget and noticed once when the battery was hot that the temp was reading 113 deg. It got hot the first time I ever plugged in the phone and still does so occasionally. I guess I need to call or visit Sprint and ask, but seems odd for a brand-new phone.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones