• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery level in 1% increments

Steven covers his ears. :p

I'm lazy. I don't wanna read this thread.. so: yes or no.. are 1% increments reality or not?

It's certainly not official since motorola don't seem to use it, maybe the file was a test file introduced in the 2.2 build. But yes, the system file that's updated is in 1% increments/decrements, and looks dead-on accurate. I'm sure scary can confirm it as well.

Upvote 0
It's certainly not official since motorola don't seem to use it, maybe the file was a test file introduced in the 2.2 build. But yes, that system file that's updated is in 1% increments/decrements, and looks dead-on accurate. I'm sure scary can confirm it as well.

Shouldn't you know since you wrote the app?

How are you testing the accuracy?

Upvote 0
Also, can you explain the difference between Voltage Based system returned values and not?

Sorry I missed that question. A few people told me that some after-market batteries are not returning correct level values, but will return a voltage. Voltage based takes the battery voltage reading and calculates the % left. It's not going to be perfect as battery voltage fluctuates over time, but it is a much better indication than none at all.

For those people with these batteries it must be frustrating to not have anything to go by. During testing, everyone has said it works, no-one has complained about it, and most of the comments I've had have been completely positive. :D

System returned values, is just that, it uses the values returned by Android, and if the battery is returning reliable values, then it's the one to use because it's much more accurate.

Upvote 0
Shouldn't you know since you wrote the app?

How are you testing the accuracy?

I know how my app works, sure. But I cannot tell you why motorola don't use it, that's a question for them.

I personally tested it by monitoring the actual returned 10% values. If you read the posts above, you'll notice that we've seen that the 10% values are rounded versions of the 1% updates.

e.g. 60% is telling you that the actual % is in-between 55 and 64%, it's been consistent across the entire range, and all I can tell you is that it's been dead on since I've started using it.

That's really all I know, maybe scary can add some insight too.

Upvote 0
I know how my app works, sure. But I cannot tell you why motorola don't use it, that's a question for them.

I personally tested it by monitoring the actual returned 10% values. If you read the posts above, you'll notice that we've seen that the 10% values are rounded versions of the 1% updates.

e.g. 60% is telling you that the actual % is in-between 55 and 64%, it's been consistent across the entire range, and all I can tell you is that it's been dead on since I've started using it.

That's really all I know, maybe scary can add some insight too.

Sorry, I am not trying to sound harsh, what I meant is, if you wrote the app, wouldn't you know for sure if(and from where) the system was returning 1% stats?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I am not trying to sound harsh, what I meant is, if you wrote the app, wouldn't you know for sure if(and from where) the system was returning 1% stats?

Yes, we know for sure that the system file is getting updated, and from my testing it appears that the battery broadcast events are consistent with the file updates. The values in that file are updated by the operating system itself, not by my app. So, I cannot with 100% certainty tell you that it's officially accurate because I don't work for Motorola or Google, but I can tell you that it works.

Reactions: Wally World
Upvote 0
Yes, we know for sure that the system file is getting updated, and from my testing it appears that the battery broadcast events are consistent with the file updates. The values in that file are updated by the operating system itself, not by my app. So, I cannot with 100% certainty tell you that it's officially accurate because I don't work for Motorola or Google, but I can tell you that it works.

Thanks for replying. I understand now.

Using your app and Circle Battery Widget, they are both returning the same numbers, so from that I would assume they are not estimations.

Upvote 0
Sorry guys...was "away" (crazy busy here at work) for a while and couldn't respond.

Yeah, Andy is characterizing things correctly and meshes with my point of view:

1. Moto seems to have introduced the charge_counter file that provides 1% battery charged delta in 2.2/Froyo. When I built my app way back when (the date eludes me right now) in 2.1/Eclair, I scoured the battery directories for the ability/capability/information that might yield the 1% deltas, but either I missed it or it wasn't there.

2. I also concur re. the rounding that occurs. Even the ACTION_BATTERY_CHANGED intent still returns the 10% delta. However, the intent is seemingly triggered when the battery charge changes by 1%!!! (and when the charge_counter file is updated). So, sounds like they might have added this functionality and didn't want to mess with how things currently work (understandable).

1% appears to be real folks! Enjoy it via Andy's and my apps! :D ;) :)

Cheers!

Reactions: Wally World
Upvote 0
Great news. How would one get the percentage in lieu of the stock batter icon on the status bar? This would require a custom theme I assume?

Yeah, I think so... I've modified custom recoveries (Amon_RA's for the Eris), and compiled the Android source, but haven't had time to play with truly building a custom ROM or theme.

I'll dig around some and see what I can find... I'll bet Fabolous could tell us real quick.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think so... I've modified custom recoveries (Amon_RA's for the Eris), and compiled the Android source, but haven't had time to play with truly building a custom ROM or theme.

I'll dig around some and see what I can find... I'll bet Fabolous could tell us real quick.

Cheers!

You can hide/remove the battery icon just like you can remove the clock from the status bar. If you implement a battery status icon (maybe you already have, not sure) in the status bar, that can be used instead of the stock battery icon.

I was waiting for Cedric to release his next circle battery widget to do that because supposedly he is adding a status bar icon.

Upvote 0
You can hide/remove the battery icon just like you can remove the clock from the status bar. If you implement a battery status icon (maybe you already have, not sure) in the status bar, that can be used instead of the stock battery icon.

I was waiting for Cedric to release his next circle battery widget to do that because supposedly he is adding a status bar icon.

Can I do this programmatically (or this a custom theme/ROM-only deal)?

I'm all ears! :D ;) :)

Upvote 0
I got the update. Nice job!

I updated, was working great, then a couple of hours later the market said there was another update, did it again, and it appears it was the same. Anyhow, nice updates. I am really liking this app.

Thank you. :D

There was another update, that was me. I just had to correct a spelling mistake and add some text to the interface. Those kind of small things bug me to death until I get it changed.

Should be the last one for now... I'll see what kind of feedback/suggestions I get from it.

Upvote 0
I tested Gauge Battery and Battery Monitor side by side in the the notification bar. Battery Monitor's 1% increments nearly mirrored Gauge Battery's 10% indicator.

So, I prefer the 1% movements of Battery Monitor.

You should notice that the 1% changes are rounded to the nearest 10%, e.g. 60% should show between 55% and 64% on the 1% changes. Glad you like it, let me know if you find any problems.

Upvote 0
For those interested, I've just published version 2.4 of BattMonX in the Market.

Several new features and many minor improvements.

I want to thank Andy S (Battery Monitor) and Andrew P (Light Flow) for their help and suggestions in making my app a little bit better. Its been a very rewarding experience in talking with these two wonderful developers who I now consider friends.

Cheers and kudos to you both! :)

Upvote 0
Thank you. :D

There was another update, that was me. I just had to correct a spelling mistake and add some text to the interface. Those kind of small things bug me to death until I get it changed.

Should be the last one for now... I'll see what kind of feedback/suggestions I get from it.

I can associate with your pain, bugs me too.

Pretty cool app, I'll be recommending that to a lot of people. :D

I've used Battery Indicator Pro for quite some time and like how it says, "Unplugged for 24 hours". Your app does not seem to include that and that's the only thing keeping me from dropping BIP from my status bar. Until then I have 2 battery icons.

Upvote 0
I can associate with your pain, bugs me too.

Pretty cool app, I'll be recommending that to a lot of people. :D

I've used Battery Indicator Pro for quite some time and like how it says, "Unplugged for 24 hours". Your app does not seem to include that and that's the only thing keeping me from dropping BIP from my status bar. Until then I have 2 battery icons.

The PRO version of my app has time unplugged. :)

Upvote 0
Cool. Does it show it here?

ss-1-320-480-160-0-b342a4dcc042761f2b084a09167e74cee9482ed9

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones