1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery Life 4s the iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tnesper, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Tnesper

Tnesper Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Even though the iPhone 4S isn't out yet, I was hoping I could get a question answered about my battery life.

I just switched from an iPhone 3GS to a Galaxy S 2. One of my biggest concerns is battery life on an Android phone. I could generally get my 3GS to last me about 2 days with my usage level, less than 1 day usually on weekends. Currently, it looks like my Galaxy is only going to provide me with about 1 day. But I am thinking that may not be a fair comparison since the 3GS was a 3g phone and the Galaxy is HSPA+?

Comparing ratings to the 2 phones (back to the Galaxy S2 and the iPhone 4S), it looks as though the iPhone has a better rated battery life. However, that seems to be misleading because the iPhone is rated at 3g (but runs HSPA+) and my Galaxy S 2 is running at AT&Ts HSPA+ which should lower the battery life. In other words, even though the iPhone is rated at 3g speeds, if I actually had one in my hands it would be running HSPA+ and therefore not getting the life that they rate it at. Am I correct in this assumption? And if so, based on your expertise, how do you feel the iPhone 4S battery will compare to the Galaxy S2 in actual usage on HSPA+?

To give you an idea of the performance I am getting, when going into Battery Usage in the settings I have the following

9h 57s on battery
    Android OS 55%
    Android System 11%
    Display 11%
    Facebook 7%
    Cell Standby 5%
    K-9 Mail 4%
    Phone Idle 4%
    Maps 2%
    gReader 2%
    Dolphin Browser HD 2%

Those apps are obviously all the apps I have opened today (except for Maps?). Are my percentages good with the OS consuming 55% of the battery?

Advertisement

2. androidismine

androidismine Newbie
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    Mine is worse!!! I got only 8hrs 32 mins. Gmail accounts for 40% of my battery consumption. The OS is the next highest....

This is not cool.

3. Jellz

Jellz Member
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    For me, the screen eats up most of the usage XD

Anyways, I could get that kind of usage on my iPhone 3GS cuz I turned 3G data off. There isn't a huge huge difference between 3G and HSPA+. If you could turn the 3G and HSPA+ off on the Galaxy S II, I bet you'd see a jump in the battery life.

4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    A lot of it depends on how many apps you have updating in the background and how much you use the phone. im on very light use today, but ive been unplugged for 11 hours and im at 75% battery life. but typically with smartphones now you should probably plan to charge it every night, you wont find many that will get you through 2 days anymore, unless you buy an extended battery of course.