• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery life after update...holy cow!

johninbigd

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009
Before the update, my Droid would be down to 50% by early afternoon after normal usage. That includes a moderate amount of surfing, not much calling. Usually some texting. But I had to charge it throughout the day or risk it dying by mid- to late-afternoon.

Not after the update! I've been using it normally all day. I took it off the battery at 7:00 AM and now it's 1:00 AM and it's just below 50% from the looks of the battery indicator. So, it looks like I can easily go all day on a single charge now, which I definitely could not do prior to the update.

Add to that the speed after the update and the camera fixes, I'm one happy dude.

Interesting...I have noticed a decrease in my battery life (though I am going to give it a few days...It could be that since the update, I am subconsciously using the phone more than I was in the past). If after another week or so, I am going to take it back to Best Buy and swap it for a new Droid (or at least a new battery, if they will do that)...

Just for future reference in this thread, my build date was week 40/09...

**EDIT** Another note...I force upgraded my phone rather than wait for the OTA update. I'm wondering if this could have something to do with it? If that turns out to be the case, I will wait for OTA next time. This thread will be interesting to monitor. Please (if you don't mind), note in your posts if you force updated to 2.0.1 or got it via OTA...

Upvote 0
I'll sound off here as well that I'm seeing somewhere between a 20 and 40% increase in battery life. Wish I could provide more certainty but I'm not planning on adjusting my usage to be symmetric charge on charge to get a more resolute answer. However with an only 10% charge status resolution even scientific method would need to be augmented (read I'd have to pull out a soldering iron).... Can't say I care to know that well... ;)

Upvote 0
No its called going around the forums at the same time and posting on topics as they change... I often tend to point out ignorance... If ignorance follows you thats not something I can help with.

If you're wondering what people are doing to come home with 60% its called checking email, updating calendar events, going to meetings, and taking a few calls and texts here and there.
well thats your day, maybe not everyone elses day. You call a post asking a question about how people are using there battery ignorent? Im sorry maybe you need to look up the definition of the word....or re-read my post and extrapolate.

Upvote 0
basically what he said, only without all the flaming.

i'm not streaming music and watching youtube vids and txtng al my frndz and snapping pix and whatnot while i'm at work. i'm taking the occasional call, checking the occasional text / email, and looking up something once in awhile. i MIGHT hop on NESoid for some duck hunt during my 15 min breaks.

today specifically, my phone usage was more than average. had a 40~ minute call to verizon customer service to get my account fixed, did some bill paying and christmas shopping from the browser, forgot to turn off bluetooth after getting out the car so left that on all day. In fact I still havent put it on the charger (and still havent turned bluetooth off) since i've been home, and it's only dropped from 60% to 50%.

Upvote 0
Arguably a tad off topic, but FYI. Last week I ordered a battery charger via Amazon. Proves to be more convenient than spare battery + charger routine. Bonus = ability to charge other devices as well (including iPhone 3GS) via included multi-tips. Expensive, but IMHO worth it ($54.95- no s/h per Prime Membership)
Amazon.com: External Battery for Iphone, Iphone 3g, Iphone 3gs, T-mobile G1, Ipod, Sidekick, Blackberry, Nokia, I-UP 5400 Mah: Electronics

I have noticed improvements following the update. But I'll be keeping that charger, as with it, I really need not be concerned about the battery life issue at all.

Upvote 0
My battery life since the upgrade has been a mixed bag, no clear better or worse clarity for me yet.

Initially it seemed like it might be better, holding at 100% longer, but this AM after an hour with minimal use I'm at 90%. So hard to say.

The whole question of better battery life may be linked to changes may have Google made in any number of areas (signal strength 3G/1X hunting, backlighting/keyboard lighting algorithms, processor behavior, etc.), so variations individuals' physical location, usage patterns, and installed apps, etc., will impact if things get better, and by how much. 2.01 does seem to have been a big winner for some individuals.

Upvote 0
I can definitely see better battery life... I am an extremely heavy user... As such I have 2 batteries.... I usually swap batteries at 1am and keep the other one charging in the cradle all night... I get up around 7 and the battery won't start to die until 4pm or so.... Heavy usage (mail, browser, twitter, txting not much voice but the occasional couple of calls.. SIPDroid connected all day).

Prior to the update it would usually die around noon or so...

Upvote 0
My battery after the upgrade was getting chewed up the better most part of this morning because of unusual amount of sync'ing activity. I am not sure what it was for, but once the sync stopped, my battery drain stabilized. Still I put it into charge at work. Tomorrow will probably be the first full "normal" operating day for the phone. But I can already see some of the battery saving activity the phone incorporates.

Upvote 0
I don't think I've seen a huge increase, but certainly something noticable from before the update. At the end of the day before the upgrade, I'd just be going into the yellow color for the battery and now I'm around 30% - 40% left.For those forgetting to turn bluetooth and wifi off, I cannot recommend the app locale enough. It has really saved on my battery!

Upvote 0
For sure, when you're not using WiFi, BT or need to sync (because you get spotty coverage indoors), turn 'em off. It'll save batteries. I've also used Quick Settings that allowed me to bring the brightness down even more than stock. Hopefully, this will also help battery life. The other thing you might want to consider is the kind of wallpaper you use. I've noticed slight differences when using a darker (black) compared to lighter backgrounds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones