1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Battery life after using GPS for 4.5 hours during bike ride

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ghitos73, Mar 23, 2010.

1. ghitos73

ghitos73 Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Last weekend, I went on a 50-mile bike ride and used an app called 'My Tracks' to track my entire route. I started with a 100% charge and at the end of the ride my battery was down to 74%. I was quite impressed. Of course, I had WiFi, Bluetooth, and Sync disabled. I was tempted to root my N1 after seeing the thread on 72 hours of battery life, but I thought I would give it a shot with what I already have.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else on the forum uses their N1 to training purposes.

Advertisement

2. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Lifeguard / Lab Technician
    Michigan
    Awesome report. That IS pretty impressive. Was the 3G/GPS reception along your path very good?

And I plan on using my N1 to assist with my running routine using both tracks and the music player. :)

3. ghitos73

ghitos73 Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Oh, thanks for reminding me ... To maximize battery performance, I set my mobile network setting to 'Use only 2G Networks' since I didn't really need the map. I only wanted to use the tracking feature anyway. I am sure my battery life would have been worse if it was set to 3G. Besides, if I did get lost along the trail it was nice knowing that I still had enough power to turn on Navigation mode in a pinch with 74% remaining.

On my next bike ride, I will see what the battery life is like with both tracks and my music player running and report back ... unless you beat me to it of course. =)

4. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Lifeguard / Lab Technician
    Michigan
    Haha. Well, unfortunately VZW has me by the balls right now waiting for them to release the N1, so you'll probably get a report on that in before me. : P

5. ghitos73

ghitos73 Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Well I am reporting back on the battery life performance using My Tracks and the built in music player. I went for a 40-mile bike ride this afternoon. I started out with 100% charge on my Nexus One. After riding for 3 hours and 19-minutes with GPS, 3G, and music player running, the charge dropped to 54%. Hope that helps.

Tags: