• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life and battery management

Is Juice Defender any good? I remember people use to sing its praises & a couple of months ago I had someone laugh at me when I mentioned I had it on my Hero (they never said why they laughed or if something better was out there) Is there something better out there? I downloaded it (& Juice Plotter) about an hour ago.

Juice Defender is an app. You can control the phone more efficiently than an app. Thats all Juice Defender does is control your power settings. Gingerbread already has a section on the 3D dedicated to power settings so Juice Defender isn't needed at all.

Reactions: JD_from_da_80s
Upvote 0
Wow im getting pretty good battery life today.. My settings 4G-Off, GPS - Off, Always mobile - Off and everything else is on.. Usage 15 mins calls, 40 mins internet, 20 minutes mps, 20 mins emails, 35 txt.. 9 hours with about 30% battery life left.. This is good considering my 4G would be needing a charge at 6 hours. Im impressed so far!! The only thing that may make me take it back is that HORRID speaker quality and the network connection issues. Such a complete phone guys but bad build for the first batch

Upvote 0
I haven't really tested my battery yet. I work in a basement with out much signal so I turn off 3G turn on wifi and after 8 hours I am usually at 20 or 30 something % and I go in with 90 something. But this weekend I will be out of town and will really test how long it last me all day. I know it's better than the OG EVO but just to get 7 or 8 hours out of it would be fine by me and I have bluetooth one some occasional gps but I text and email and am on FB alot. A couple weeks ago at a concert I went through 2 batteries in like 4 hours after taking some pictures checking in and uploading to FB. It sucked! But people say there getting great battery life and I am always on my phone doing something whether it's texting emailing on the web or FB app and listening to music some. I hope it's good for me this weekend when I really need it. But I have 3 extras LOL! But I haven't taken my back off yet.

I agree treven21. I leave WiFi and GPS on (and turn off bluetooth and 4G). I'm at 7.5 hours so far today and have used it for what I'd call slightly elevated usage (mostly normal, but perhaps a bit more playing around than usual) and I'm at 80% battery remaining. Yesterday, I used it non stop, very heavy usage, even Google Earth with GPS on, watching videos on youtube, etc. and it was at 27% when I went to bed at 11 PM. This is easily the best battery life I've ever had in an Android phone.

Upvote 0
From full charge to full drain, playing Plants vs. Zombies, I lasted 1:48. Yep, less than 2 hours.

What's your brightness setting? The screen is the biggest power drain in the device, maybe even more than 4G.

You should play PVZ again, once with lowest brightness setting, once with highest. Keep all the other settings constant (eg: wireless on, 3G, 4G and Bluetooth off, GPS on, same volume or something like that).

Upvote 0
iv been testing the battery life for the past couple days and so far been very impressed! One day i unplugged the phone at 9am and at 7 or 8 pm still had 50% left and yesturday i unplugged it at 11 and i plugged it in at 48% about 30 mins ago (2ish am) first day was making a good amount of calls showing off 3d to co-workers (taking pictures and showing um to everyone) and a decent amount of web browsing. second day was little less taxing mainly texting and a couple phone calls and at night payed a game or two for an hour or two...so likw i said im very impressed! :D

Upvote 0
I got my EVO 3D Wednesday evening. Both Wed. night and Thurs. night I powered the phone off before bed and noted the remaining battery level (about half each night). Thursday morning the phone was completely dead and this morning the phone was down to less than 10%. How can this happen? Perhaps, even though the phone was off, the HTC Watch issue still drained the battery? Has anyone else experienced this? I have taken care of all the updates and am hopeful that I will no longer have the problem.

I'm happy to report that the updates that I loaded on Friday solved my problem. I'm still not sure what could have been draining the battery at night. Perhaps it was the HTC Watch issue. Now that that has been solved I am content with the performance of the battery.

Upvote 0
What's your brightness setting? The screen is the biggest power drain in the device, maybe even more than 4G.

You should play PVZ again, once with lowest brightness setting, once with highest. Keep all the other settings constant (eg: wireless on, 3G, 4G and Bluetooth off, GPS on, same volume or something like that).

Well, I was hoping this would be a controlled test, as I have noticed much more battery drain on the 3D than 4G when playing PvZ. Unfortunately, once charged again and powered up I noticed that GPS was on the whole time. Oops! I will retest again this evening.

Brightness was at 50%. All other settings (other than GPS) were as you suggest.

I definitely have issues with power, and after having tweaked apps and settings identical to the 4G (I was able to get 12-14 hrs moderate use) there is still a marked decrease in battery performance. One contributor, I believe, is that my signal is also weaker than 4G.

I think its time I considered a replacement.

Reactions: ebolamonkey3
Upvote 0
I know this is a dumb question, but I can't seem to find where to tell how often my gmail updates. Any help would be appreciated.

Gmail by default pushes mail, the phone does not periodically poll as it does with POP accounts. If you want to control this you can use the mail application rather than gmail. Or, turn off sync for individual google functions and just download mails when you launch the app, but there's no fun in that. (Menu/Settings/Accounts & Sync/Google).

Reactions: JunBringer
Upvote 0
My battery is pretty good considering I have Thunderstorm as my wallpaper & I keep my screen on just to look at it. I'm at 50% now & I unplugged at 8am. Since then I played about 20 minutes of Angry Birds & Alchemy each, did some 4G browsing, had a 22 minute call, read most of the articles in teh Daily News, checked email & downloaded a couple of apps. This is below average use but I'm not complaining.

Upvote 0
For those of you with good battery life, do you have both power options checked under the power settings? I only had enable power saver checked and my battery life is horrible. I'm trying both items checked to see how it does today. Hopefully battery life will improve.

Thanks,

GP

I only have power saver checked. Don't know if you would consider my above post good battery life.

Upvote 0
Gmail by default pushes mail, the phone does not periodically poll as it does with POP accounts. If you want to control this you can use the mail application rather than gmail. Or, turn off sync for individual google functions and just download mails when you launch the app, but there's no fun in that. (Menu/Settings/Accounts & Sync/Google).
It's not letting me turn off sync for any of them. There is no box to uncheck. I really should be able to figure this out lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones