• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery Life and Root

Android&Dom

Feb 10, 2010
I'm new to the rooting scene, and my goal was to try and achieve great battery life. In terms of the Droid Incredible that means 24+ hours with medium (read-Normal) usage with an HTC HD2 1500mah battery...here are some results...

CAP201010291346.jpg

CAP201010291347.jpg

I am running the Stock Sense ROM with the Virtuous Rom Custom Kernel V2. I found this to be extremely stable with the benefit of being able to use setcpu profiles. Hydra Kernel undervolt was great as well but I wanted to be able to use setcpu profiles, which Hydra did not recommend. I also tried the Kings Kernel BFS 5 which was caused my system to be extremely slow, choppy, and lag at every screen.

My setcpu profiles are pretty basic,
Normal usage...998 max and 245 min, on demand
Screen off...384 man and 245 min, on demand
Charging/full...499 max and 245 min, conservative

So I achieved my goals, 25 hours of time with 8% battery life left according to battery life app. 7 hours of use time which I think is pretty good...lots of txting, heavy email: gmail and exchange, real time email updates, facebook, twitter, nytimes news app, lots of web browsing and random googling, and of course 20 or so minutes of angry birds haha.

I'm happy with the configuration I have but if anyone has any suggestions or tips I will greatly appreciate it.

I'm new to the rooting scene, and my goal was to try and achieve great battery life. In terms of the Droid Incredible that means 24+ hours with medium (read-Normal) usage with an HTC HD2 1500mah battery...here are some results...

View attachment 12946

View attachment 12947

I am running the Stock Sense ROM with the Virtuous Rom Custom Kernel V2. I found this to be extremely stable with the benefit of being able to use setcpu profiles. Hydra Kernel undervolt was great as well but I wanted to be able to use setcpu profiles, which Hydra did not recommend. I also tried the Kings Kernel BFS 5 which was caused my system to be extremely slow, choppy, and lag at every screen.

My setcpu profiles are pretty basic,
Normal usage...998 max and 245 min, on demand
Screen off...384 man and 245 min, on demand
Charging/full...499 max and 245 min, conservative

So I achieved my goals, 25 hours of time with 8% battery life left according to battery life app. 7 hours of use time which I think is pretty good...lots of txting, heavy email: gmail and exchange, real time email updates, facebook, twitter, nytimes news app, lots of web browsing and random googling, and of course 20 or so minutes of angry birds haha.

I'm happy with the configuration I have but if anyone has any suggestions or tips I will greatly appreciate it.
So when you say the stock Sense ROM, do you mean the Froyo 2.2 update and it is not a custom ROM. Actually what I'm asking is can you just add the Virtuous Rom Custom Kernel V2 without a custom ROM.

Did you install it using ROM manager?

Thanks

Upvote 0
SkyRaider 3.2.2
Latest HTC Kernal
.07 Radio
Screen-off 245/245
Juicedefender-BETA with default settings, 1/15 when screen off
Seidio 3500
Heavyyyy usage

GPS off, unless im using it
Screen brightness at 50%

wifi at home and at work, unless i rome around the city

almost 29hrs unplugged, 19hrs AWAKE

and about 25%/10hrs remaining ....

I use the hell outta my phone ... for an average user i can easily see this battery going a few days under the right conditions.

I know these results are more about the battery and its slightly offtopic ... just thought id share, for anyone looking for better battery life.

Attachments

• screenshot_12.jpg
    screenshot_12.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 184
  • screenshot_13.jpg
    screenshot_13.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 194
  • screenshot_14.jpg
    screenshot_14.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 217
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones