• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life Experience - Standard battery

This battery is HORRID. I have to charge my phone 4-5 times a day!!!!!!!!!! I found if I turn LTE off it helps a little bit, but I shouldnt have to carry my charger around with my phone everywhere.

Any suggestions on how to make it better?

Exchange it. That's not close to normal. Under moderate to heavy use, I get at least 11 hrs. I'm averaging 14-15 hrs per charge.

Upvote 0
This battery is HORRID. I have to charge my phone 4-5 times a day!!!!!!!!!! I found if I turn LTE off it helps a little bit, but I shouldnt have to carry my charger around with my phone everywhere.

Any suggestions on how to make it better?
Make sure it's not a case of "I got a new phone and can't keep my hands off of it" syndrone... Battery life often seems bad with a new phone simply because everyone is sitting there pounding away at it for hours at a time.

Upvote 0
Make sure it's not a case of "I got a new phone and can't keep my hands off of it" syndrone... Battery life often seems bad with a new phone simply because everyone is sitting there pounding away at it for hours at a time.
I barely used it today and yesterday I was working all day and it sat in my car.

I came back after FOUR HOURS at work and it was almost dead without touching anything.

Upvote 0
I barely used it today and yesterday I was working all day and it sat in my car.

I came back after FOUR HOURS at work and it was almost dead without touching anything.

Did you check what was sucking up the battery? I know that one of my apps (a compass) was sucking up the battery for some reason. I decided to uninstall it.

Upvote 0
I'm at ~9-10 hours. Which includes texting throughout the day. LOTS of browsing probably close to an hour total, and 20+ minutes of talking. I turned off wifi, dont use a lot of widgets or live wallpaper, and set the battery to conserve.

I dont think that's HORRID for the regular stock battery. I think that's pretty solid actually..

If you have a lot of tasks running its possible that is what's draining your battery.

I cant wait for root to freeze some of this bloat and a few of these apps that seem to always run in the background even on a reboot....I'm looking at you amazon kindle and slacker radio...and get system panel up and running for even better battery life.

Upvote 0
First thing I checked, nothing.

Well the first thing that I would recommend is perhaps exchanging the battery (if possible) because it could just be a battery problem. If that's not possible and you have to exchange the entire device, then that's what I would recommend because I doubt a hard reset would suddenly increase battery life. If that still hasn't fixed your problem, then I HIGHLY recommend the extended battery.

Keep in mind that my results that I gave you was on constant 4G LTE connection. It would be MUCH better if I was strictly on 3G.

Upvote 0
I was in SFO a little while back in a hotel where I received 0-1 bars. I pulled my phone off the charger at 7am and it was dead by 9am. The phone had never felt that hot before. I pulled the battery, reinstalled it and charged it back up, but found it did the same thing after charging. Signal makes a HUGE difference. This may not be the case for you, but it's at least something to consider.

Upvote 0
Yesterday was my first full day on the extended battery. Took it off the charging cradle at 5AM. Used on and off all day as usual, and it had 30% when I went to bed at midnight. Overnight I left it turned on and out of the charger and at 6AM today it was still at 30%. Then I made an intentional effort to run it dead so I can charge it - and that took me 2 hours before it shut off. That said, I am wondering how it will work for me at work where I will have no LTE coverage and iffy 3G/CDMA. My OG Droid at work would drop to 50% by the end of the day.

I'd suggest paying attention to apps that may use the network frequently and check them for parameters to increase cycle times. Load the app "OS Monitor" and enable the parameter which shows system processes. Use it to check for CPU impacts. Also may want to enable Wifi so that when you are at home it will use it instead of LTE. I haven't done that yet but will today. LTE itself seems to be power hungry, but having a marginal signal will be the worst impact. Word has it that 2nd generation LTE chips will be much more efficient.

Upvote 0
Lol...im not seeing good battery life at all! Will give it a week and see how it goes. Seriously, an Extended Battery? We shouldn't have to extend anything at all. People stating that they are getting 15 hrs with the extended , who cares, that's not good! I was getting 12/13 hrs with heavy use on my Charges stock battery.

Upvote 0
It's the 4G that's at fault. Yesterday I started the day at 8 am, no phone calls, did use Bing for 2 20 minute trips...btw Bing sucks big time on Android...can never keep it's GPS location, has no voice guidance. Anyhow, by 1 pm the battery was down to near zero. So later I switched to 3G. Then I had to download some apps so I went back to 4G, and in minutes I saw a bit of a battery drop. I plan to run on 3G today and see what happens.

Incidentally there's a browser BUG. When a browser window is open, and you go to settings, and tap on windows, you see a list of open windows. Each one has a red button with a - sign on it. You have to tap on that red button to remove that window...but on my phone you try to tap on it and you just bring up that window again, it does not sense your touch on the red button. Wonder if others have this problem.

Lots of good things about this phone compared to my Samsung Omnia 2 which is obsolete and had a miserable browser, Opera Mobile. But I'm really not sure whether to keep this phone!

Upvote 0
Incidentally there's a browser BUG. When a browser window is open, and you go to settings, and tap on windows, you see a list of open windows. Each one has a red button with a - sign on it. You have to tap on that red button to remove that window...but on my phone you try to tap on it and you just bring up that window again, it does not sense your touch on the red button. Wonder if others have this problem.

I am having the same issue with my browser! I hit the limitof windows and can't clear it. I have to reboot the phone. PIA!

Upvote 0
Ok so I went to Verizon and called Motorola and got similar responses. They said 4-5 hours is STANDARD BATTERY LIFE FOR THIS PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked and dumbfounded. The guy also recommended that I get a task killer and auto kill facebook and twitter for an extra 30 minutes.

I ended up walking out and called Moto to get similar responses. Later in the day I called VZW Customer Support and they told me go to a different store and just say I need to exchange it via customer support request.

We shall see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones