• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life Experience

I screwed up. I did the reset, charged to 100%, then used all the battery to 2%, and plugged it in to charge. Well just now it was at 46% and I picked it up to check a text and the plug came out of the wall. it wasn't unplugged for more than five seconds, does this mean I have to start over?

No, don't worry about it.

Go ahead and install this in case any other troubleshooting is needed -

"GSam Battery Monitor"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm

Upvote 0
Update: It is now 6:26 and I'm on 53% and that's with moderate use and a bit of torrenting. Been in town all day on 4G. It definitely seems a lot better, nearly six hours and over half my charge left. Hope it works this well when I'm back to 3G at home. I did have it pluuged into the laptop for about five minutes around 1:30 right before I left the house to put several albums on there. It was at 98% when I unplugged it.

Will I have to do this with every update? Because if I'm not mistaken Lollipop comes out this week for M8.

Upvote 0
Update: It is now 6:26 and I'm on 53% and that's with moderate use and a bit of torrenting. Been in town all day on 4G. It definitely seems a lot better, nearly six hours and over half my charge left. Hope it works this well when I'm back to 3G at home. I did have it pluuged into the laptop for about five minutes around 1:30 right before I left the house to put several albums on there. It was at 98% when I unplugged it.

Will I have to do this with every update? Because if I'm not mistaken Lollipop comes out this week for M8.

Personally, I have always backed up, cleaned and then restored on every rom update I've done.

That said - Lollipop is supposed to change the game for us because apps will precompile rather than run in the Dalvik virtual machine. If the Dalvik cache goes away, then no longer as big a deal because the other caches you can clear without a reset.

That's the theory. :)

Did you get the Sense or GPE edition? I think only the GPE is getting Lollipop right away (or so).

And the battery charge thing - imo you're done so the short answer is no, you won't have to do this every time.

Once your home on 3G, please start GSam, and ok to home out.

It has a radio vs power graph so if there's something funny with the 3G or your phone's radios, that ought to help expose it.

Upvote 0
Personally, I have always backed up, cleaned and then restored on every rom update I've done.

That said - Lollipop is supposed to change the game for us because apps will precompile rather than run in the Dalvik virtual machine. If the Dalvik cache goes away, then no longer as big a deal because the other caches you can clear without a reset.

That's the theory. :)

Did you get the Sense or GPE edition? I think only the GPE is getting Lollipop right away (or so).

And the battery charge thing - imo you're done so the short answer is no, you won't have to do this every time.

Once your home on 3G, please start GSam, and ok to home out.

It has a radio vs power graph so if there's something funny with the 3G or your phone's radios, that ought to help expose it.

Ohhh, you're right about it being the GPE. I misread it and thought that one was already out and the regular M8 was getting it. To my knowledge I have just the regular M8 and haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise. I just started that app. Does it still sound lik it isn't doing right?

Edit: I think I forgot to mention the final time it was up before having to charge was from that time I woke up to about 9, so a little over 8 hours and it got down to about 9%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones