1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Battery Life & Gel Cases

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RedBob62, Feb 8, 2011.

1. RedBob62

RedBob62 Member

I know there are already a number of threads about battery life but cannot find one that covers this specific problem.

I used to quite happily get a days use out of one battery, covering a dozen calls, a bit of texting and a fair amount of browsing. However I recently bought a Gel case for some added protetion for the Desire (previously used a slip case). While the phone is now well protected the battery seems to run down at about twice the speed it previously did.

Now it might be that the battery is on the fritz (technical term!!!) but I was wondering whether anyone knows if an increase in phone temperatuire reduces the charge life of the battery. The Gel case certainly seems to have an insulating effect which is no doubt increasing the temperature of the unit.

Cheers,

Bob

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. formicae

formicae Member

Yes. Heat is the enemy of all rechargeable batteries.

Although I don't know that the gel case alone could cause the battery to retain enough heat to reduce its discharge time that much.

RedBob62 likes this.
  3. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Have a gel case and my phone rests in a Galaxy S holster and my batter holds out for almost 2 days.

RedBob62 likes this.
  4. DC E1G

DC E1G Well-Known Member

This interests me because I have a gel case and have noticed it to cause a bit of insulation, but I've never used my phone out of the case for more than a few hours. I have noticed it maintains about 25-27 degrees with the case whilst in my pocket, and about 22 or 23 out of my pocket.

I easily get a day (16 or so hours off the charger) out of mine with over a hundred texts, a few hours of wifi and about 2 hours of screen on time. This usually leaves me with about 60% at the end of the day. (Mind you I get awful service in classes). With heavier use (and better service) on weekends I still end the day without about 50%.

This weekend I might try using mine sans case to see if my battery life is any different. I'll report back on my findings.

5. nickkr

nickkr Member

Do you not think that it is far more likely that the gel case is significantly reducing the internal antenna's sensitivity so that the phone is having to work harder to grab and hold onto the signal.

This will make the processor work harder and use more power.

6. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

I have full bars and use H without issue.

7. nickkr

nickkr Member

I'm afraid you are missing my point....... the issue is how hard the phone is having to work to give you those 5 bars

8. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Obviously not a lot if you read post #3! ;)

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews