1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Battery life, how does a ROM affect it...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flyinjoe13, Aug 16, 2011.

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 18, 2010
    Not sure which section to put this in so it will go here for now.

I have been using the Evervolv ROM for the past 3 months. Recently I tried out the MIUI 1.8.12 ROM and love it except for the terrible battery life I get with it compared to Evervolv. I have an extended battery and with Evervolv under my typical daily usage, I lose 20-30% battery life. With MIUI, I lose 40-50%. That got me to wondering....

What is it about a particular ROM that makes it better or worse on battery life? Is it the kernel? Is it the radio? Is it the way it's coded? Is it all of the above and more?

As far as I can tell MIUI and Evervolv are both based off Vanilla Gingerbread so I thought they would have similar battery results. I installed and use the same apps on both.

Any input\thoughts\knowledge would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. jamor

jamor Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    It's a combination of all 3.

Kernel is most important though and radio I would put second. The rom has an effect of its sense vs vanilla but kernel is the engine and if you keep same rom and flash better kernel then your battery life will increase substantial amount

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  3. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I checked the radio and they both use the same one, but the kernel's are different.

Do you know if there is a way to extract a kernel from one ROM and flash it into another? The kernel on the Evervolv ROM gives me such great battery life, but I like everything else about the MIUI ROM and would prefer to use it if it wasn't for the terrible battery life. I tried doing a google search for the kernel name from the Evervolv ROm, but it came up empty.