1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Battery life inconsistency

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lorddunlow, Jun 22, 2011.

1. lorddunlow

lorddunlow Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    So now that I have rooted and made my winding way to build 106 of the CM7 nightlies (will flash 108 when I get home), I need help with my battery life.

Let me start by saying on my current setup (OG Droid, CM7 nightlies, CM7 built-in kernel, CPU set to 250-800MHz with ondemand governor, compcache 18%) I am very happy with my Droid's performance. I started to tweak then completely overhaul my phone about 2 months ago because, quite frankly, the phone had begun to suck - slow, force closing all the time, constantly rebooting, poor battery life, and overheating to the point of rebooting when charging (it got up to 183F one night - it actually burnt my hand when I picked it up.)

I got a replacement phone thinking that the overheating was hardware related, but this did not help. Now that I am on my current setup the phone works better than ever, and I now have Gingerbread! (2.3.4 even)

Alas, I still have battery issues. I have tried recalibrating several times with mixed results. I have tried many kernels that people claim has extended their battery to 24hrs of use, and even a few days if the screen is off, but they all cause my phone to run extremely slowly no matter the setting and use more battery (and yes I have used variations on SV, LV, ULV, and different clock speeds). Sometimes I have gotten 14hrs on a charge with moderate usage, one day I got over 8hrs with extremely heavy usage (almost 4hrs of screen on time). Mostly though with normal usage at work I take my phone off the charger around 8AM and it is at 15% by 2-3PM with very little use.

Did the overheating ruin my battery? Any suggestions for kernels? Why is it so inconsistent? Again, the battery sucked even with stock ROM unrooted, but only after the overheating.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement

2. lorddunlow

lorddunlow Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
  3. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 14, 2010
    your phone just doenst like those kernals...so you gotta change voltage or decrease your speed...no other way around it