• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery life is awful - ZTE Zmax Pro

Anyone who thinks this device has poor battery life... obviously has something incorrectly set up on their phone. The great battery life is actually a selling point of this phone. Granted, it isn't as good as the original ZMAX due to the higher resolution screen using more energy, but it's quite good. I usually get a full day with heavy usage.

Reactions: Jimmy Dixx
Upvote 0
Anyone who thinks this device has poor battery life... obviously has something incorrectly set up on their phone. The great battery life is actually a selling point of this phone. Granted, it isn't as good as the original ZMAX due to the higher resolution screen using more energy, but it's quite good. I usually get a full day with heavy usage.
I think it's somewhat unfair to assume that the problem OP is having is a result of how their phone is set up, a defective unit is very much a possibility

Upvote 0

My original Zmax was awesome!!! Battery was great running Broken OS. I have the same set up on the pro that I had on the original. In fact this being my second Pro, they both had about 8 to 10 hour day. Maybe it's an app that doesn't get along with this model.

I think it's somewhat unfair to assume that the problem OP is having is a result of how their phone is set up, a defective unit is very much a possibility

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

I updated to B14 so we'll see how it is.

Reactions: MigDaMusicMan
Upvote 0
My original Zmax was awesome!!! Battery was great running Broken OS. I have the same set up on the pro that I had on the original. In fact this being my second Pro, they both had about 8 to 10 hour day. Maybe it's an app that doesn't get along with this model.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

I updated to B14 so we'll see how it is.
I hope it helps :)

Upvote 0
So far it seems a bit better. Except for a couple of glitches like it being off in the morning. And having phone call issues. We'll see in the next few days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170227-215801.png
    Screenshot_20170227-215801.png
    323 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
I'm going to replace my phone at t-mobile tomorrow since I think my phone is defective. It gets hot and the battery drains way too fast I go from 100 to 70 in about a hour of moderate usage. I left my apartment at 4 this afternoon with 100% batter I did some light browsing to read some articles and went on twitter and by 6pm my battery was below 30% I have it on my external charger now.

I'm definitely going to get my replacement tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I'm going to replace my phone at t-mobile tomorrow since I think my phone is defective. It gets hot and the battery drains way too fast I go from 100 to 70 in about a hour of moderate usage. I left my apartment at 4 this afternoon with 100% batter I did some light browsing to read some articles and went on twitter and by 6pm my battery was below 30% I have it on my external charger now.

I'm definitely going to get my replacement tomorrow.
Geez!
Only thing I can think of that could cause such a drain would be if your area has very spotty coverage. The device switching between 2G/3G/4G constantly will consume a lot of battery.... but still, you'd have to be living in the mountains to have such bad reception these days.

I used to work in a building that had a secure area with cell jammers. I'd have to go through 2 full batteries a day because my service constantly dropped and picked back up a minute later.

Upvote 0
Here's mine after 4 days. I keep my screen brightness at about 25% and I try to keep the background apps at a minimum, also I don't use battery saver. I never have network issues or anything either, don't know how much that would contribute though.
That looks great. I'll probably get a new on next week and see how the battery is. It might be just some apps that I have. I just can't pinpoint what it is.

Upvote 0
When was the phone manufactured? I got this phone as back up recently and it said it was manufactured Jan of this year, 2017. I also did the system update the day I got it. Battery is extremely good and lasts me the whole day and goes into the second day with some 50% still left.

Hope you get everything fixed.

Edit: Mine is a T-Mobile phone.

Upvote 0
Geez!
Only thing I can think of that could cause such a drain would be if your area has very spotty coverage. The device switching between 2G/3G/4G constantly will consume a lot of battery.... but still, you'd have to be living in the mountains to have such bad reception these days.

I used to work in a building that had a secure area with cell jammers. I'd have to go through 2 full batteries a day because my service constantly dropped and picked back up a minute later.

I should be getting my replacement this week..

Upvote 0
Yeah, my roommate and I both have the ZMP, and for both of us, excellent battery life. My battery drains faster when I have Bluetooth on, obviously, but even connected to my BT headphones all day, the battery lasts longer than the one in my Galaxy S3 with everything of, screen off, and just sitting on the nightstand.

Upvote 0
My question is, why the hell did ZTECH hardwire the battery in the first place? Maybe they didn't want to be like V-Tec, the cordless phone mfr who offers a replacement battery as the first accessory. Or the HTC G1, where battery makers faked the code on the label to make customers think the batteries were OEM instead of low-quality, won't-run-your-TV-remote-for-a day sh*t.

S Wright

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones