• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life is great

I have read conflicting posts on this so it was an interesting decision to make. I decided to go with 3 full dicharge cycles though because I read from a lot of users that this helps callibrate the battery to the phone and improves battery life. After that point it is recommended to charge at 50%. I don't know which is correct because so many people have strong opinions either way. Last night was the 3rd night though, so it's done now LOL. I would be interested to see what the differences are in battery life from people on both sides of the fence..... It would be good to compare the battery life in the phones that were discharged vs those that were not. This would be somewhat hard to compare though because it would require someone who normally charges at 50% to fully discharge the phone to see how long it lasts. It would also be difficult because phone usage varies by person. I read enough posts with personal experience showing battery life improvement with the discharge method I decided to give it a shot.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that doesn't seem like asking for too much in my opinion. Wierd to see the big swing in battery lives from each user, unless some people are over/under exaggerating usage.

You know, I really think there is probably not a great deal of quality control in battery making. I could be wrong... but I've been visiting the Droid X message board to see how everyone likes their device and I happened upon a battery thread like this one over there, too. Some people are getting amazing battery life out of their phone, and other people are getting extremely poor battery life. I spoke to a Nexus 1 owner recently who I know that told me he gets 24 hours out of his phone with moderate use. I am really starting to think there is a huge difference in the quality of batteries from one phone to another (within the same brand of phone). Now, it COULD be the differences in apps or widgets though. Maybe they play a bigger part than we realize. I dimmed my screen and took off samsung and android widgets and got an extra 4 hours yesterday. BUT it could have been from the 2nd discharge cycle improving the life. Or perhaps it would have improved anyway just from being used more and not sitting around in a box. I will say that I didn't put google sky maps on my phone because I had it on my mytouch slide and every time I opened my programs file it was ALWAYS running! Same with The Weather Channel. So I don't have either of those. I have a news program now that is forever running that I am thinking of tossing today. I have tons of apps that run when they are open and not when closed. So it doesn't mean tossing out all of your apps to improve battery life. But it could mean being watchful about the ones you install.

Upvote 0
You know, I really think there is probably not a great deal of quality control in battery making. I could be wrong... but I've been visiting the Droid X message board to see how everyone likes their device and I happened upon a battery thread like this one over there, too. Some people are getting amazing battery life out of their phone, and other people are getting extremely poor battery life. I spoke to a Nexus 1 owner recently who I know that told me he gets 24 hours out of his phone with moderate use. I am really starting to think there is a huge difference in the quality of batteries from one phone to another (within the same brand of phone). Now, it COULD be the differences in apps or widgets though. Maybe they play a bigger part than we realize. I dimmed my screen and took off samsung and android widgets and got an extra 4 hours yesterday. BUT it could have been from the 2nd discharge cycle improving the life. Or perhaps it would have improved anyway just from being used more and not sitting around in a box. I will say that I didn't put google sky maps on my phone because I had it on my mytouch slide and every time I opened my programs file it was ALWAYS running! Same with The Weather Channel. So I don't have either of those. I have a news program now that is forever running that I am thinking of tossing today. I have tons of apps that run when they are open and not when closed. So it doesn't mean tossing out all of your apps to improve battery life. But it could mean being watchful about the ones you install.

Reception plays a part in battery life as well. The more your phone has to search for reception = higher battery usage.

Upvote 0
I came from an unlocked iPhone on Tmobile to a Samsung Vibrant, My iPhone would last a full work day. 20 minute commute listening to audio books, fairly heavy use at work with texting and calls. Battery would drop with internet or video use.

My day starts about 0730.
The Vibrant didn't last until 1145. I made some of the suggested changes....screen brightness, auto syncs, and got rid of some of the apps that ran continuously. This extended battery until 1400, 2 pm. I admit I did show off the screen, but only by playing video for 1-2 minutes.

I would like to know how Robinelli is doing with battery life?

Upvote 0
I let mine charge off to 100% before ever using it. I know it's not supposed to make a difference on Lipo batteries, but i think it does.

2 hours of standby and a couple min of facebooking and I've only lost 2%.

I think it'll go a full 24 hours.

I was told by a T-Mobile rep to let the battery die two times in a row and charge it fully after each time. After two times, it should be better.

I eventually had them send me another battery and that one is a lot better than the original and is a good 5 hours better. But the letting it die two times did help and ive done that with both. Also, if i only have 3G turned on when i need it, that helps a lot. Otherwise just for getting emails and Tweets, 2G is fine.

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks Robinelli for your input. Today I took a picture of blackness and used that as my wallpaper, wasn't really that bad, the icons really stood out. My day started out at 0730, now with all of the usual stuff turned down, toned down or just off I have at 2130 (930 pm) 31% battery life left.

Is it worth it?

Upvote 0
im on 2.1 stock everything.. and the battery's good. i'm a little disappointed though. i had the phone charged and took it out yesterday morning. after a day of light to medium use, the phone is now sitting at about 20%. so about 30 hours or so. that's actually pretty good, but i saw it sitting at around 50% in the morning and now it's down to 20%.

Upvote 0
Just my observations....

Last week was the first time I tried to use the phone heavily, Relative was in hospital and I attempted to amuse my self....

If all I did was run games jokes [non internet] items the phone lasted all day including the extra load of calls and texts sent out...more than my usual amount.

However...

The 2 days I tried to do heavy surfing and lot of twitter and cnn and news and forums it did not last all day lucky I have a car charger and charged it at lunch but even still was a big disappointment to me to have it suck up juice like that.

Now normally I'm working and not playing on the phone as long except at lunch and breaks.

But I can certainly see the need for a wall/pc charger to be brought out if your gonna do anything close to surfing for hours....and of course gps/driveing just eats batteries up so make sure its plugged it!

Someone posted they had a bigger amp/hour battery...wonder how that went...

Enjoy :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones