• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery life issues, MMS stopped working-Midnight JB-I need something new

pheonix991

Aug 22, 2012
Issues:
MMS, I cannot receive any pictures. It worked when I did the last update, it was a clean flash.
Over the past moth or so, my battery almost weekly will decide it's going to be at 20% within 40 minutes of disconnecting from the charger. I calibrate it once it's charged again, and it's fine for another week.

So, I think it's finally time for me to update to a new rom, and possibly get a new battery.

If you guys could kindly help me pick a new rom, that'd be great.

Needs:
MMS to work
Battery life
Google Now
Android 4.1 or higher
I'd like visual voice mail to work too

What should I go with? Any input on the battery issue?

A new battery would be awesome! I've gotten an extended battery and it is AMAZING. Best accessory I've bought. I got the Platinum Series Battery for the E3D on Amazon. Could barely last a day on regular battery with very little use, but now I can last 2 days with moderate use!

For ROMs, personally I have noticed that 4.1+ ROMs do not have as good of battery life as Sense. Do not know why. Nevertheless, my extended battery fixed this problem. I would recommend Angry Bean by Chairshot. All the things you requested should be fulfilled by this ROM. There is even a flashable for MMS. Angry Bean is the most stable that I have seen, but I can also recommend PACman ROM on XDA.

Upvote 0
Sounds like your battery could use an upgrade and is a must have for flashaholics like myself as loading and backing up ROMs apps, etc definitely drain the juice. No disrespect to the work of any developers but as of right now for the best blend of performance and updated JB features as well as customizations the VM build of PacRom is at the top right now. Everything is working and working well (for me at least). VVM works but of course you need to flash the zip file that's Angry Bean put together. Here's the latest link, Good luck.

PacRom

Upvote 0
Sounds like your battery could use an upgrade and is a must have for flashaholics like myself as loading and backing up ROMs apps, etc definitely drain the juice. No disrespect to the work of any developers but as of right now for the best blend of performance and updated JB features as well as customizations the VM build of PacRom is at the top right now. Everything is working and working well (for me at least). VVM works but of course you need to flash the zip file that's Angry Bean put together. Here's the latest link, Good luck.

PacRom

Thanks. I'll check it out once he uploads his new VM rom. This may be shocking to a few, but, I hate flashing roms.

Upvote 0
I wasn't sure if you still weren't able to disable pie or got it figured out from your post. As far as VVM working how did you install it? Maybe test it to be sure, I can usually get mine to work but it's not always guaranteed.

I just flashed the rom, then gapps. No VVM.zip. Like I said, haven't tested it. Haven't read up on it if it works without an additional .zip. I know on some roms at one time it wasn't working, which is why I didn't go to Midnightrom's 4.2.

Try Angry Bean, as for MMS try my settings here. Tell me if that fixes anything for you at all. I'm curious if it works on another ROM before you flash.

MMS is working with PACMAN.

Weird thing with Midnight though. I did a clean flash, mms worked again. Something messed up, most likely due to me screwing up titanium. Reflashed the same way as before, lost MMS again. So, not sure what's going on. So, I ditched Midnight, it hasn't been updated in a long time anyway, which is sad, because I really liked that dev.

Thanks for trying though.

Upvote 0
I just flashed the rom, then gapps. No VVM.zip. Like I said, haven't tested it. Haven't read up on it if it works without an additional .zip.

No it's not working then since a voicemail app isn't even included in the ROM.

Real easy fix made by Angry Bean Devs, just flash the VVM zip on this site (Voicemailhttp://chairshot.vmobi.us/shooter/) open the app once, then flash the same zip once more and your set. Very simple :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones