1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery life, live wallpapers - couple questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Alphamale13, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Alphamale13

Alphamale13 Lurker
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Hi all, After a search and reading the similar threads, Ive still got a couple of questions about battery life and live wall papers.

I have the galaxy s vibrant. Had it for about 6 months and love it for the most part. In the last month Ive seen quite a stark decline in battery life, for which I cannot pin down (with any certainty) the reason(s).

Prior to the recent changes, I could go a full 36 to 48 hours on one charge, with average phone and text use, sometimes using one of the live wallpapers,(that came installed on the phone when I bought it), and sometimes using a photo as wallpaper.

I followed the standard battery save suggestions (turning off GPS/WiFi, background data etc.. ) and as above, got 36 to 48 hours of standard average everyday use.

However, now there are some days I can take the phone off charge at 100% at 7 am, and the phone is down to 2% battery by 3pm the same day, with little or no use. Some days around 10 hours. but overall less than half what I was getting a month ago.

Question- I down loaded several new live wallpapers from the app store (all free ones).. ranging from starfield to flurry pro, galactic core, earthrot, thunderstorm..etc. I changed around and use them different days..

My main questions are..

Do the live wallpapers drain battery even when they arent "showing", eg. screen off?

Do application drain battery even if no apps are running (according to the task manager widget) ?

From the information on "Settings/about phone/battery use , I find that the two largest drains on my battery lately are Cell standby and phone idle.... why would these be draining so much battery? Things running in background?

Any help, suggestions or constructive criticism is welcomed!

Advertisement

2. techno-update

None
    The live wallpapers do not drain battery if they arent being used. But applications do. They will run in the background and the more you have the more battery it takes up. I have found that if you have 10 or more apps or close to 10 it is best to have a task killer. I recommend getting a nice one that will autokill when the phone goes to standby. The ones that do it per hour or by time just end up using up more battery.