1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Battery life. Need help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by benjamin163, Sep 4, 2016.

1. benjamin163

benjamin163 Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Hello, I have just yesterday taken purchase of a new Galaxy s7 edge which is exciting.
    However, the battery is running down quickly and I can't work out why.
    I have just recharged and looked in settings at battery. It is telling me I will get 10 hours of usage.
    Can this be right?
    I have tried all the usual tricks. when I looked at what was taking up the battery life before I restarted it was 'cell standby' which I don't really understand. That had taken up 50%. Now I've restarted the phone and of course nothing is taking up the battery but it still predicts only ten hours of usage.
    Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Any help gratefully received.

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    To start off with, ignore the predictive battery life. Its accuracy, if any, will improve over time. Every new phone gets a fairly intense workout in the first month. Between learning features, downloads, updates etc. etc. your battery is getting a workout.

Keep in mind, Wi-Fi Bluetooth and Location in particular subject your battery to a fairly heavy load. Try turning them off and playing with their settings, (possibly automating the process) when not needed. Screen brightness is also a fairly heavy load on the battery. As you play with it and scroll this forum you will pick up tips and change your habits resulting in better and better battery life.

Enjoy your new phone.

3. benjamin163

benjamin163 Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Thanks for your reply. You're right, the battery is already calming down. Hopefully it will get to the levels I have been reading about.
    With location services, is there a way of turning off location services on some apps and not on others? Or do you just have to turn all location services off if you want to save battery?
    At the moment I have them all on because I imagine that without them the apps don't work as well. But I guess I could do without them on my camera etc. What would you recommend?
    Thanks again for the reply.

4. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    In marshmallow you can restrict permissions for different apps . Go to Settings and search for App permissions. In the window that opens up tap on Location. You can then turn off access to location for specific apps. Also within Settings/Locations you can change certain settings that will turn off the use of Wi-Fi and mobile networks further reducing battery load. These augmentations to location are obviously useful when using GPS apps. Actually the Wi-Fi and mobile networks improvement in accuracy is only worthwhile when using GPS when running and walking.
    Once on the road, I tend to keep Location on for GPS as well as since it is valuable in tracking lost phones etc. etc. However I turn it off when at office or home.

5. benjamin163

benjamin163 Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Wonderful advice, thanks a lot.
    Happy to report I have had a day of good usage with the phone and it is still showing 74% which is fantastic.
    I guess the trick is not to panic with a phone you have used straight out the box. It will all settle down.
    Thanks.

6. Mr_Larva

Mr_Larva Newbie
    None

Jul 23, 2016
    I think there are some services and packages still running in background when standby
    Yesterday I found in Google Play an app can disable more than 100 bloatware (pre-installed packages)
    So I try to disable some unused app like Gear VR services, SHealths, Splanner......It really Save Battery life
    I also could use "running packages filter" and "running services filter" function to quickly search
    It named "BK Package Disabler Samsung" and work WITHOUT ROOT,
    It's safe to disable packages in [Installed] and [Bloatware] list, be careful to disable packages in[System] list (not safe), hope this help

#6 Mr_Larva, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  7. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    A little warning regarding package Disablers. Start slowly and carefully. You can easily disable the wrong item and create problems for yourself. In certain situations disabling certain apps can actually increase battery usage as your phone attempts to access them. I use one myself, but have not found any significant impact on battery life.
    Check out an app called Greenify. It's extremely powerful and works by hibernating nonactive apps till they are needed. It also accelerates the doze function built into marshmallow greatly increasing standby life. Its impact on battery life is considerable.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.