1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery life noticeably dwindled

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by madmonk, Jan 20, 2012.

1. madmonk

madmonk Member
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    I was impressed with the battery life on the S compared to the straightforward Desire, but in the last week I've noticed significant deterioration. My type of use hasn't changed. I've not downloaded any apps recently.

It normally shows about 50% at the end of a day, giving me about 5 hrs display per charge, t now it needs charging before I go to bed (as opposed to while I'm asleep).
    Could it be that battery needs calibrating? Should I remove battery? its not been taken out for 6 months.

Do I have malware?

Unfortunately Gingerbread doesn't allow Spare Parts battery history function , so I can't delve into whether or not this is an app issue. I don't use task killers, they're counter productive. Can a free app which checks battery history be recommended?
    Thanks.

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Have you received the latest OTA update? If this has occurred since then, it might be related to that.

Otherwise I would try a soft reset: Power off phone > Remove battery for 30 seconds > Replace battery and power on. It may not solve the problem, but it often rights some glitches.

Also, if you don't have one already, install an anti-virus/malware app. They should tell you if you have malware or not.

You can get a rough idea to see what's eating your battery via Menu > Settings > About phone > Battery > Battery use. It's best reviewed when your battery has been in use all day.

madmonk likes this.
  3. prawn_guevara

prawn_guevara Member
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    dial *#*#4636#*#* and select usage stats to see whats been using battery

4. flashsam

flashsam Member
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Hi,

With the latest update (2.3.5) the *#*#4636#*#* doesn't have the same usage information it used to.

I use 'Badass Battery Monitor' which gives you a nice circular battery in your status bar (which can be hidden if you don't want to see it) but it also gives you information about what's been using the battery as well as great graphs showing the battery % since last unplugged charted against battery temperature and also phone signal.

Sam

madmonk likes this.
  5. madmonk

madmonk Member
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Took battery out for half an hour, put back in, charged phone while switched off, and back to normal. Weird.

Been on one charge for over 24 hours again. And hammering the internet.

Cheers.

notebook likes this.
  6. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Probably needed a bit of calibration (see this thread), although I'm not sure why. Powering up the phone while the phone is off, is one part of the above calibration process, so it might have done the trick on yours.

Tags: